Opinion regarding kilt manufacturers?

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Opinion regarding kilt manufacturers?

Post by JRMILLER »

Hi,
I have a Utilikilt on order, I own a Sportkilt and I have been looking over the denim and cord kilts at Union kilt.

I have seen a few posts by Ian about his denim Union kilt, does anyone else own one and what you think of the quality and wearability?

I have also seen a Utilikilt up close and personal, and that's why I ordered one, what do the current owners think of these? They are all over EBay and seem to be highly valued.
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Colin
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Colin »

I have a dark blue denim UnionKilt. I enjoy wearing it, but it is quite heavy material. There is no stretch, so you need to have a waist size which is at least adequate. I can wear 36" waist stretch trousers and need a 40" waist UnionKilt, as a 38" waist was too tight. I do like the kilt and wear it quite a lot out of working hours. I may buy another more formal kilt soon and perhaps wear it to work, if I can find the confidence.
Colin.
Pleats

Post by Pleats »

I have a light blue denim kilt from Union Kilts. I got it in November. The kilt is heavy and stiff being made from denim. Like a new pair of denim jeans you have to wear them in. They are machine washable so a few runs through the washer helps. I wore it this winter and the heavy denim did a good job of holding in the heat. I suspect the kilt will be too hot when it is 90 degrees this summer. I have lighter weight kilts I plan to wear in the summer.

The construction appears to be very good to me. The kilt has snaps in front at the waist to close the kilt and two buckles on the right. The belt loops will support a 2" wide belt. There are pockets on the side so I don't use a sporran.

The kilt is worn high at the belly button or slightly above. With a length of 23" that puts it at the top of the knee cap on me. I can wear the kilt a little higher or lower to move the hem line up or down a little.

As for size, I measured around my middle at the belly button using a cloth tape. Without pulling it snug I measure 39". I ordered a 38" kilt. The kilt is a little loose. The buckles will pull the kilt in a little but the snaps limit the amount of adjustment as they are fixed. I am able to tighten up the kilt using the 2" belt. I have found I prefer a kilt to be tighter so it does not slide down. Since ordering that kilt my other two (Stillwater and Amerikilt) were ordered at 36". The Amerikilt is worn lower than a standard kilt if you get the short one but the 36" still works good just above the hips.

I have no complaints about the Union Kilt. I would consider them for additional kilts. Keep in mind the kilts are from the UK so shipping is expensive. You have to take shipping into consideration if your budget is tight. Because of the shipping costs sending a wrong size kilt back for exchange may be cost prohibitive. Shipping was fast. It came Fedex and I had the kilt within a week or so of placing the order.

Also keep in mind the exchange rate. It sucks to put it mildly. Pounds x 2 = $ for all practical purposes.

These kilts grow on you. You can't have just one. I now have three kilts with a fourth on order from a kilt shop in Cincinnati. I am looking at Alpha kilts out of Indianapolis. They have a box pleat solid color kilt. All of my kilts so far are made with knife pleats so I think I need a box pleat kilt. Budget won't allow it now but maybe later this summer.....
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Opinion regarding kilt manufacturers?

Post by AMM »

JRMILLER wrote:I have also seen a Utilikilt up close and personal, and that's why I ordered one, what do the current owners think of these?
I ordered one by phone. The Utilikilt itself isn't bad, though I wasn't as happy with it as I'd hoped, but dealing with Utilikilts, Inc. was a major headache. I wrote it up in this forum back in the fall of 2007.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Problems with Utilikilt

Post by JRMILLER »

AMM,
I do remember your review. In my case, my waist is a little bigger than my hips, so it might actually work. I have one on order and will report about it when I try it on.

Another interesting note, Utilikilts are popular on eBay and tend to hold their value. My rule of thumb is that I should not have to pay more than 50% for anything "used" no matter what the condition. Slightly used Utilikilts tend to sell for 70% - 90% of their original value. New ones sell for full price, period.

That a market exists for these is good for us, because it means guys are INTERESTED and they will start showing up!
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
matman

Post by matman »

So, AAM, how did your UK experience finally resolve itself?

I ventured to their retail store once. Actually, I was glad I did. I really, really want UK to succeed with their products and their business. Surely what is good for them is good for all of us.

When I was at their shop I was able to see what a broken-in UK looks like. I must confess I did not think that the look fit my style. The cotton/blend canvas material actually takes on the look of well washed dockers. But with all the pleats, etc, I decided that the look was just not suited to my style.

Obviously, the more business UK garners the lower their per-unit cost will be. This will make their goods available to more folks, and the popularity will mushroom.

In the mean time, I hang with my Mountain Hardwear modern style kilt, and save my quarters until I can try a Midas or some other product.
lucasbear

Kilt manufacturers

Post by lucasbear »

I have owned several Utilikilts over the past few years, as well as some Amerikilts. Utilikilts are definately the better buy if you are a full-time red-blooded, claymore-swinging kilt-wearing man. 8)
Amerikilts are fine for hot weather, Ren Faires, Celtic Fests and for mowing the lawn, but are kind of light for cooler weather. I have not worn out a Utilikilt yet, and have sold several used ones for almost what I paid for them. So obviously, they are very well made.
However, make sure you either REALLY know your size or try one on before you buy it. Also, it looks like all their newer syles have snaps on the waist, which means you are no longer depending on your belt to hold the waist togther.
A good place to check might be The Kilted Nation in Manassas, Virginia. Brad is great at customer service and you try on a bunch of brands to find one you're comfortable in. I have bought two kilts there on separate trips (a three hour drive each way) and it just a great experience. I have heard that UK's customer service isn't real great, so going retail might be a better route.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Kilted Nation

Post by JRMILLER »

Lucasbear,
Thanks, I do travel to the DC area each year, I will check them out!
-John

AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

matman wrote:So, AAM, how did your UK experience finally resolve itself?
I posted a more complete response in the thread I referenced -- look for my Dec. 9 posting.

Basically, it's not as good as I hoped, but it wasn't worth sending it back again. I wear it occasionally when I want to wear a MUG and not have to explain why I'm wearing a skirt, but it's not as comfortable as the kilt I made myself, or any of the skirts I wear.
Uncle Al

An opinion about kilt manufacturers

Post by Uncle Al »

I've made a couple of kilts, none wearable at this time. :hmmm:
I have 2 Utilikilts, also not wearable at this time. :hmmm:
I have 3 Stillwater Kilts. All wearable at this time. :rock:

I now prefer the Stillwater kilts over the UK's because the SWK's are more like a traditional kilt.
I do get more compliments with the SWK's. :kiltdance:

Also I can have 3 SWK's for the cost of 2 UK's. I've heard good things
about Frugal Corner and their kilts.

Stillwater Kilts and Frugal Corner are linked to this forum.

You might want to check them out, and be pleasantly supprised. :)

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

I have the denim Union kilts in light blue and in dark blue and both get worn a lot. I have never had any negative response to wearing them. I wore a denim kilt most days last week when I was on holiday in Gran Canaria.
I also have a navy blue Mocker Utilikilt, which I also enjoy wearing, though I bought it second hand as I have heard a few horror stories about people ordering direct from Utilikilts and receiving kilts which don't fit them.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
ben4527

Post by ben4527 »

I have a brown corduroy union kilt, ordered it in size 36 i think originally, too small ,got a replacement, so now have a 40, the sizes are a bit odd as they are not eqivalent to trouser sizes.

I find it very well constructed,only critiscism is it is quite "rigid" especially compared to my more traditional kilt.