Black Kilt at Blue Bay

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Miket

Black Kilt at Blue Bay

Post by Miket »

I've just returned home from a four night break to Mallorca. I didn't get the man-bag I had mentioned in a previous post, but I did encounter a kilt!

The Blue Bay Hotel in Cala Mayor is accessed by a long set of steps and as I arrived at the hotel, ahead of my wife who was walking slowly having had a foot operation, I encountered a bearded young man in a black t-shirt and black kilt going into the hotel. By the time I had turned to my wife and told her to hurry up (not too sympathetic, I'm afraid!) he had disappeared into the hotel.

At this point I wasn't sure whether he was a guest or a delivery person, since there were several vans near the entrance. Anyway, I don't think my wife believed me. All I could say about the kilt was that it was plain black canvas, with a clip-on bag at the front instead of sporran.

On our last night I was vindicated when, as we sat having dinner in the hotel, the kilted gentlemen walked past us on the way out of the retaurant and into the lift. Again I didn't have time to act, but at least my wife saw it too. It looked good, rather like the Swedish workman's kilt but without the white stitching. My wife's comments were - It looked good on him because - he must be Scottish (untrue I feel- more likely English or German) - he was wearing the right outfit - don't ask me what she meant by right. The only inkling I got of what she meant was that It wouldn't suit me.

As for me - at least I did get to wear a sarong for several afternoons in the wonderful sunshine we had during our stay.

MikeT
Milfmog

Re: Black Kilt at Blue Bay

Post by Milfmog »

Miket wrote:All I could say about the kilt was that it was plain black canvas, with a clip-on bag at the front instead of sporran.
Sounds like an Amerikilt.

It's always good to spot another guy wearing a kilt or skirt out and about.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

that's something I have never seen :(
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

RichardA wrote:
that's something I have never seen :(
Oh well... I guess it is something you have to look forward to then :D

It's still rare enough to be worthy of comment but not so rare in London or the home counties as it was. I've seen guys in skirts / kilts half a dozen times in London and been told of others by friends. I have yet to meet anyone skirted in my home area apart from one guy I saw out in a sarong early one morning when we had some hot weather a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I was too far away to speak to him.

I just keep doing my bit in the hopes that others will see me, realise it's not such a big deal and maybe get over their own fear of being different. I firmly believe that there are more male skirt wearers than there were but we are still well short of the critical mass at which they will become a visible minority.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
matman

Kilt/Skirt Spottings

Post by matman »

I've spotted about thee or four kilts/skirts on men here in the great Northwet. (Oregon, Washington, los estados unitos)

Once was in Portland, Oregon. I was in a city park near the Lloyd Center shopping mall. I think it was the day a host of cyclists were completing the 210 mile ride from Seattle to Portland. Saw a dude in an orange-colored camo-style job. Likely a UtiliKilt.

Second was in Tacoma near the Tacoma Dome. I was headed there for a sporting event and I saw a young man, probably high school age, in another UtiliKilt. That made me happy to see it catching on with youth.

Third was at a bar in a small town in central Washington. This was a surprise, as things are pretty conservative here. This again was most likely a UK.

Fourth, I saw a guy with a traditional kilt heading into the local convention center for some formal affair. It was probably a black watch or some sort pattern.

I've seen others, like this last Sunday in Portland, but that really didn't count. A guy playing bag-pipes at a funeral was in full-kilted regalia. Seen several others, but those were all "event costumes" which for me does not really advance the cause of kilt and skirt wearing as a garment of everyday choice.