SportKilts as winter ski apparel?

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire
Location: Northern California(North of the Bay Area, that is)

SportKilts as winter ski apparel?

Post by WSmac »

Here's photos of some guys wearing the Sports Kilt (made in California) while snowboarding at Mt. Shasta, California.
My daughter snapped the photos with her camera this weekend.
We didn't get to see them in action though... too bad... it would have been fun to see.

WSmac
Emerald Witch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Emerald Witch »

I think they look awsome!

Personally, though, I still don't think I'd ever want to go out in a knee-length skirt in the snow. I imagine wipeouts must be a serious bummer in a skirt!

Still, thanks for the snapshot. It's good to see men out enjoying themselves in skirts. :)
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Think I'd want a traditional wool kilt. A bit warmer than the SK, especially when the ambient temperature is still below freezing.

With respect to going out in the snow while skirted/kilted, I do that all the time... It truly is no big deal, and usually is warmer than if you're wearing pants. Just as long as you're wearing something that's wool, and have wool kneesocks (or kilt hose) on. Yes, you do get the usual "Aren't you cold?" questions, but once I tell them that it's 9 yards of wool, they typically shut up about it.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

Kilted_John wrote:With respect to going out in the snow while skirted/kilted, I do that all the time... It truly is no big deal, and usually is warmer than if you're wearing pants. Just as long as you're wearing something that's wool, and have wool kneesocks (or kilt hose) on. Yes, you do get the usual "Aren't you cold?" questions,...
Actually, if you're doing serious exercise, you don't need to wear all that much, even in cold weather. I've seeing skiers race in their underwear (at least, that's what it looked like.) And snowboarding is probably more exercise than most of us get skiing. These boarders are probably appreciating the ventilation. The kind of exposure they need to worry about (especially when they fall -- which is an intrinsic part of boarding) is the "indecent" kind :)

Where it would get cold in a kilt is going up on the lift. You're exposed to the wind, and you're muscles stop producing all that heat. Even in a snow suit, and after putting on gloves and a hat, I'm still shivering by the time I get to the top. I shudder to think of sitting on a freezing lift with bare legs, and a cold wind off the mountain top blowing up my kilt. Brrrrr!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

AMM wrote:I shudder to think of sitting on a freezing lift with bare legs, and a cold wind off the mountain top blowing up my kilt. Brrrrr!
That brings the expression "frozen assets" to mind...

Think I'll pass on winter sports in a skirt of any design; sometimes twin pipes are the right answer.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire
Location: Northern California(North of the Bay Area, that is)

Post by WSmac »

I forgot to mention that Mr Mohawk and Mr Plaidpants were riding up the lift together behind my daughter and I.

The guy in the pants made said something like, "I don't want to see you wipe out!"... to which the red kilted guy said, "I'm wearing shorts on underneath".

I was hoping to see what a kilt looked like speeding down a snow-covered mountain.

My daughter plays the Galacian bagpipes... the Gaita.
We were talking about her coming out next season in full regalia with bagpipes and kilt (she has a set of practice pipes - Scottish bagpipes that is), and wondering what the reaction would be as people heard the screech...er.... music of the pipes and saw her rounding the bend on her snowblades. :D
WSmac