new killt

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
skirted

new killt

Post by skirted »

I have just brough my 3rd kilt, cost $25 it was close out, they were $50, also got one for my better half.They are machine washable too.
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Hi Skirted,
That's great. They soon add up. What sort of kilt did you get?
skirted

Post by skirted »

Mugman

I got one in the Minnesota Tartan, aas i live in the state of Minnesota, to see the colours type in MINNESOTA TARTAN in a search engine. It is a casual kilt, and the best thing is you can just throw it in the washing machine.
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Hi again.

I looked it out - that's a fabulous tartan! There's a 'county' one for Devon - not many UK counties have official tartans. Maybe one day I'll cough up the dosh to have a kilt made up in it. Means breaking into my savings though. Decisions, decisions. :roll:
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Minnesota Tartan

Post by Since1982 »

I wonder if there's a "Florida Keys Tartan"??? Might have fish swimming and lobsters flipping all over it...hehehe
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

As a matter of interest, the town of Glen Innes in New South wales, Australia has it's own official tartan. This town plays up it's celtic heritage to the hilt even going to the unnecessary extreme of bilingual (English and Gaelic) street signs! :roll: The Scottish, Welsh, Manx, Irish and, for all I know, Cornish and Breton flags fly from the town hall. A quite splendid Victorian wedding cake excess in it's own right.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Sarongman wrote: This town plays up it's celtic heritage to the hilt even going to the unnecessary extreme of bilingual (English and Gaelic) street signs! :roll: The Scottish, Welsh, Manx, Irish and, for all I know, Cornish and Breton flags fly from the town hall.
Mmnn, they seem to have missed out a predominently Celtic race with more Celts (just!) than the others put together! Who? The English, of course! :wink: :lol:

Bilingual signs are are right pain, dangerous even when they're road signs. It's always intrigued me how few Irish folk still speak Gaelic - at least the songs still keep the language alive - without destroying the original, unlike the Welsh language, which has been almost totally annilated over the last decade or so. :(

The Highland version (of Gaelic), I've never yet heard spoken on the mainland. Our Government (boo! hiss!) attempted to force Scots children to learn it as a compulsory part of their curriculum (as they had with the Welsh), but were slapped down by overwhelming public opinion in Scotland, led by those who didn't want to see the Islanders (& Highlanders) cultural heritage destroyed within a generation. :evil:

( :idea: Gaelic: Another word pronounced very differently, dependant on country of origin, "Gal-lic" or "Gay-lic"!!!!!)
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Iwas going to disagree with that assertion that the English were Celts until I thought more deeply about it. My paternal heritage is predominantly Saxon (Maternal is Pict sub clan of the Ross clan) Then I realised that from La Tene and through Northern Europe, it was all a Celtic culture.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Just ordered a new one

Post by Big and Bashful »

Well I went shopping for a kilt belt today. It went a bit wrong and cost rather more than I intended. Hector Russel in Glasgow had an offer, a free jacket with any kilt outfit, also 20% off the price of kilts.
I took the bait and have ordered a complete outfit. Argyle jacket, kilt, hose, blunt knife to stick in sock which I would spell wrong if I tried! piece of dead seal to dangle at the front, belt and I think that's about it, oh, brogues as well.
I was slightly surprised when after being measured, they recommended a 12 yard kilt, plenty of cloth for the pleats etc. Still, we'll see what it all looks like in 8 weeks.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Milfmog

Re: Just ordered a new one

Post by Milfmog »

Big and Bashful wrote:...they recommended a 12 yard kilt, plenty of cloth for the pleats etc.
12 yards? Wow, that is going to be heavy but it ought to have a serious swing to it. What is the weight of the wool?
Big and Bashful wrote:Still, we'll see what it all looks like in 8 weeks.
Don't forget to let us know what you think of it once you have worn it a couple of times.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Just ordered a new one

Post by ethelthefrog »

Big and Bashful wrote:blunt knife to stick in sock which I would spell wrong if I tried
Sgian dubh
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: new killt

Post by Since1982 »

I never could understand how the Scots get "skeeyan doo" out of "Sgian dubh" looks more like it should be pronounced "sugeeayn dubbuh.."

I know, never question anything older than 1,000 years. but but but but..
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Since1982 wrote:I never could understand how the Scots get "skeeyan doo" out of "Sgian dubh" looks more like it should be pronounced "sugeeayn dubbuh.."

I know, never question anything older than 1,000 years. but but but but..
Here are some useful Gaelic phrases - their meanings, what they look like written down, and importantly, how to say them.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/alba/foghlam/beag_ ... hrasebook/
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Stevie D wrote:Here are some useful Gaelic phrases - their meanings,
what they look like written down,
and importantly, how to say them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/alba/foghlam/beag_ ... hrasebook/
Thank you very much for this marvelous information :!:
I've just added it to my bookmarks. :mrgreen:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)