Kilt Phobia

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

I had the same problem I'm 34 inch so as you do I ordered a 34 inch and guess what it was too small so reordered a 36 inch now it fits.
I stated in a previous post that the said kilt was too stiff well I've washed it twice, still stiff so the other day I washed it again with loads of fabric conditioner I put the machine on number 1 setting and as it got to number 4 I turned it back to number 1 again and it stated washing for nearly 2.5 hours, when it dried hay presto a lot softer so it need a lot of washing to become soft :)
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

This sizing queation is very strange, either the manufacturers use their own standard measuring tapes that differ to the standard, can't read, or use the wrong labels. I would assume that if the waist size is right after very numerous washings, they should pre wash, or instruct you to wash many consecutive times before wearing.

I would think that a bought garment should fit and be ready to wear when bought. If the buyers measure the garments and conclude wrong sizing, then what are the manufacturers doing??? :roll: :roll: :roll: :? :?

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Thanks for your responses.
Peter-v, I agree, and can't understand how achieving a set measurement can be so difficult, and judging by comments mine is not unique to this problem. It also doesn't do a lot for a 'good customer experience'. Union Kilts should be worried about this. Having run a business myself, I know I would be.
Unfortunately, I washed mine before checking the size, as I assumed (as you do) that a 34" tag means the kilt is 34". So I can't send it back.

Breaking news: Richard at Union Kilts has confirmed it's unacceptable, and is sending me one that fits. Hopefully his immediate check on the sizes in stock will help others to avoid disappointment :D
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

This morning I received my replacement kilt speedily from Richard at Union Kilts, personally checked for required measurement, and it now fits a treat and looks great.
This has been an unfortunately hampered purchase, but I have to say that Union Kilts have impressed me in their effort to make amends. In an age where it seems the customer becomes more frequently just another distanced 'punter', this personal concern is a real credit to them.
I shall now wear my Union Kilt with pride :D