Cultural Appropriation?

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Cultural Appropriation?

Post by Stu »

I don't believe in cultural appropriation, otherwise I would challenge anyone who didn't have a European heritage who wore a tie, or a baseball cap, or a pinafore dress.

The kilt is strictly-speaking a component of Highland Dress and was not worn by other Scots as a rule. King George IV changed that in the early 19th Century when he decided to appear in public in Edinburgh wearing that costume, hoping that would endear him to the locals who would overlook his German ancestry and accept him as one of their own. As I understand it, that kicked off the Kilt = Scotsmen association.

I wouldn't be bothered about wearing a proper kilt myself because British men who do are generally assumed to be doing so to mark their association with Scotland. I have no such link, so I would feel like an imposter. A solid colour kilt is usually more associated with Ireland and Irish dancing or music bands, but it's a far looser connection. I wouldn't have a problem with wearing one of those, but obviously without the other parts of the costume and accoutrements.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Stu wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:57 pm
The kilt is strictly-speaking a component of Highland Dress and was not worn by other Scots as a rule. King George IV changed that in the early 19th Century when he decided to appear in public in Edinburgh wearing that costume, hoping that would endear him to the locals who would overlook his German ancestry and accept him as one of their own. As I understand it, that kicked off the Kilt = Scotsmen association.
Absolutely true, a confidence trick of epic proportions played on a whole nation with repercussions which have stood the test of time and far beyond the original borders.
I doubt George IV could ever have seen that coming.
Steve.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Maybe what I should have said was: "Utilikilts are produced by an American company selling an American made, American designed, innovative garment that is not the "traditional Scottish kilt." I'm an American mutt. Shut up and go away...."
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Dust wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:35 am
I'm an American mutt. Shut up and go away...
HA! I love it!
It's not a big deal unless you make it one.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

It occurred to me that the "Madras Kilt" could have been described as a kilted skirt.