Hot weather kilt

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hot weather kilt

Post by FLbreezy »

Offkilter69 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:56 pm but I did notice that the wide waistband does tend to ride down without hips for support.
I've found with some of them the fit/sizing varies a little depending on the fabric color. If I need a little extra "stay up" power I've found that folding down the wide waistband does the trick most of the time, it makes it a bit more grippy.

I have all the colors now except purple, but I wear the black and brown the most often. The brown skirt is my favorite and goes with a lot of other shirts I usually wear.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

Offkilter69 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:46 pm Thanks for the belt suggestion! Why do you prefer the skirt over the kilt?
Nothing wrong with the kilt, I just like the skirts more since there is more color selection and I can have a hem snap in the middle. I have the black, grey and brown skirts. I love the fabric.
jimskirts

Post by jimskirts »

Utility kilt the athletic kilt is light and comfortable in the heat
It is very lightweight
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

I can't wait for our summer to finally arrive ..It's literally been the wettest and coolest spring ever recorded here in Australia ..If and when it does I have two months off work ..A month of Annual Leave and another month of Long Service Leave ...Out will come my Mountain Hardware kilts . If ever there was a perfect kilt for hot weather it's them .. They are relatively short , very light , so comfortable and easy to wash . I do believe MH no longer make them but so happy to have mine ..I wear them with a kilt belt but as they have a good pocket , no need for a sporran, pouch or purse .
My only deep regret is I wish I bought more when they were still in production ..
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

I’m not in doubt. A lightweight kilt, 8-11 oz. PV, 3-4 yards and to the short side is so much more comfortable in hot weather than 1 16 oz. 8-yard wool mid-knee long kilt.

USA Kilts Casual, American Heritage tartan

Sport Kilt, Loch Ness tartan, 8 oz. and with pockets.

But, like said here already, no kilt can, with regard to comfort, beat a skater skirt:

Skater skirts serve me as kilt protectors, but they can also just be worn without the kilt like here in Southern Spain.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

GerdG wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:16 am But, like said here already, no kilt can, with regard to comfort, beat a skater skirt:
Skater skirts serve me as kilt protectors, but they can also just be worn without the kilt like here in Southern Spain.
Yes, why bother with a kilt in hot weather when there are skater skirts.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

I would love to wear a skater skirt but it would garner severe opposition
Skirt18220

Post by Skirt18220 »

lots of light weight kilts available on line. check out Etsy for example. they are inexpensive and good enough for summer wear.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

greenboots wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:24 am I would love to wear a skater skirt but it would garner severe opposition
Severe opposition from where or whom? Unless it is your spouse. I shouldn't worry too much.
GerdG

ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:10 pm I'm not under any illusion as to it being a skirt. It's actually not even a real wrap, it's a pull-on skirt with an extra fold in front to have a more kilt-like apron. It does hide the outline of man-bits a little better than their regular adventure skirt. I like both styles, they're really comfortable.
I don’t care what we call kilts or skirts cause semantics are just that, semantics.

Know what I call my purple rain kilt? Comfortable.

Especially the newer design. The draw string and better pockets are amazing.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

GerdG wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:07 pm
greenboots wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:24 am I would love to wear a skater skirt but it would garner severe opposition
Severe opposition from where or whom? Unless it is your spouse. I shouldn't worry too much.
Yes, it is my spouse. Not sure what other family members would think, but I suspect most colleagues and friends would accept it, after an initial query. But if I did it secretly and my wife learned that friends knew, she would be very upset and would certainly make me aware of her feelings in no uncertain terms. I’ve written about this elsewhere in the cafe. However, I now wear kilts whenever I want with no apology, even though I know she is “Not keen” on at least one of them. Since her main objection to skirts is they are for women, she cannot logically tell me not to wear a kilt.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

greenboots wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:23 pm
However, I now wear kilts whenever I want with no apology, even though I know she is “Not keen” on at least one of them. Since her main objection to skirts is they are for women, she cannot logically tell me not to wear a kilt.
So kilt like skirts. Would they then be an option?

Google linen kilt. These kilts are kilts in the basic sense but they’re really more like a kilted skirt. But does come with that all important word “kilt” in the title.

Good luck with your wife. I believe slow and steady wins the game
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

ScotL wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:27 pm
However, I now wear kilts whenever I want with no apology, even though I know she is “Not keen” on at least one of them. Since her main objection to skirts is they are for women, she cannot logically tell me not to wear a kilt.

Google linen kilt. These kilts are kilts in the basic sense but they’re really more like a kilted skirt. But does come with that all important word “kilt” in the title.

I have wondered about that, but as we spend much of our time in working uniform, I don’t plan on adding to my stash of kilts. The next option will be a sarong as she did once (and only once) suggest I could wear one.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

greenboots wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:32 pm
ScotL wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:27 pm

I have wondered about that, but as we spend much of our time in working uniform, I don’t plan on adding to my stash of kilts. The next option will be a sarong as she did once (and only once) suggest I could wear one.
I get that. But I’ll also say I really love my linen skirt, erm, kilt, or is it a Kilted skirt? I actually call it comfortable.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

greenboots wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:23 pm Yes, it is my spouse. Not sure what other family members would think, but I suspect most colleagues and friends would accept it, after an initial query. But if I did it secretly and my wife learned that friends knew, she would be very upset and would certainly make me aware of her feelings in no uncertain terms. I’ve written about this elsewhere in the cafe.
I see your point. But is your spouse's negative attitude to you in skirts not based upon her fears for other's reactions? Shouldn't it help, if she knew, colleagues and friends accepted you in skirts?
Otherwise, find some skirted garments, which are skirts to you, but kilts to your wife, like suggested above. Good luck to both of you!
GerdG