Anyone else catch this one?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Miket

Anyone else catch this one?

Post by Miket »

An interesting article from the scotsman - but certainly not by a Scot.
http://news.scotsman.com/opinion.cfm?id=1482942007

He's been wearing a kilt for 5 years - and yet he doesn't appear to be a member of skirtcafe yet? Perhaps we should take him up on the offer of a meeting in London.
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Nice find, Miket. The author puts forth such a simple and compelling argument for kilts.
"Not only do I think men look great in a kilt, I feel great wearing one."
The article had me laughing over language differences though. I was going to ask what a bogroll was when I realized it wasn't something to eat akin to a sushi swamp roll or cinnamon glaze smothered sticky bun I might have for a Sunday morning treat.

Quiet Mouse
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I was going to ask what a bogroll was when I realized it wasn't something to eat akin to a sushi swamp roll
A bogroll or two may come in useful if you eat too many sushi swamp rolls that are past their prime in terms of freshness.

Stu
knickerless
Member Extraordinaire

bog roll

Post by knickerless »

yes Bog Roll is loo paper, toilet roll, toilet tissue or whatever.
The Bog is a slang term for the lavatory, toilet, cloakroom or whatever you wish to call the smallest room.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

or whatever you wish to call the smallest room.
A skirted friend from the US visited my home a few years ago to take part in a cycle race (Hi Reuben!) and he asked if he could visit my "rest room". I thought he was probably tired after his journey! Then it occurred to me that "rest room" is an American euphemism for the loo.

Silly me. :wink:

Stu
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

An easy suggestion

Post by Since1982 »

Why don't we all get together on the name. How about the "Pee and Poo" room? This would work as long as there's no sink or tub. If there is, then it could be the "Pee, Poo, Brush and Soak" room.. :):):):):)8)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
imadube
Member Extraordinaire

Post by imadube »

Not to put this topic off, but this was mentioned above so here is my thought -
With a mixed time 7 years of military posting in Europe, Water Closet works the best I think.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Water Closet?

Post by Since1982 »

Are there rods and hangers in a water closet? Where you could hang your clothes while bathing after a mistake, perhaps? I've heard that term "water closet" before. I don't see the relevance of calling a place to relieve yourself any kind of water closet unless it's filled with water and you hop in and bathe after relief instead of using paper. :roll:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Think it came about after folks stopped using (sand-filled?) buckets, Skip!
It was 'dead posh' to have toilets that were flushed by water! Some were actually indoors - not at the end of the garden! In a closet, so as to speak. They had hooks to hang yer coat on, too! (Many don't nowadays, for some reason).
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

In my distant past childhood, I remember the toilet being out the backyard and the "san. man" coming weekly to pick up the full can and replace it with an empty one! Some country dunnies are still known as the "long drop" for the hole under the toilet.
Also, water closet may be an environmental mistake, we have a few friends with composting toilets, so we're not wasting a precious resource.
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Um, sort of like the blood coming out of the lift (elevator) doors in that Stephen King movie "The Shining"?
BTW, my late Mother ( born on a dairy farm in 1910) remembered using hulled corn cobs before paper. Jed Clampett says they are hard to flush :P
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

SkirtDude wrote:I'm sure Merlin and the other UK types can further clarify, but I believe that when indoor plumbing first came into being the toilet was often installed in a former closet. I certainly ran into a number of very small bathrooms in older hotels in my UK travels.
When 'en-suite' toilet/bathroom facilities became 'in vogue', many of the older (usu. Victorian/Edwardian) hotels utilised the very extensive wardrobe accomodation (provided for the voluminous dresses/skirts/coats of the day) to provide a rather 'basic' (but highly marketable) facility. Some places converted smaller bedrooms (betw. two larger) instead.

Our own (terraced) house, built around the same time, despite having room for a servant/house maid, had only a toilet at the end of the (fortunately!) small garden and the bath would have been a 'tin' one! One of the bedrooms was eventually 'sacrificed' to provide a decent sized bathroom with toilet & airing cupboard.
Miket

Post by Miket »

There is a game called "Chinese Whispers" in which a message is passed down a line from child to child along a row of children. At some point, the original message is compared with the message given to the final child.

As the originator of the thread, I have been mildly amused by the organic growth of the thread , originating as an article about a SIKH JOURNALIST who happens to a) hail from Glasgow and b) enjoy wearing kilts - along with a turban, and who is positive about the need to spread the message of kilt wearing.

That this semi-serious article became usurped by a lavatorial theme, discussing WC's, restrooms and the outside privy - along with the benefits ofthe use of hulled corn in such places defies belief!

Where shall we take the theme now? How about the size of the plunger needed to clear any blockages, or perhaps the relative merits of wooden seats compared with plastic seats on the toilet! :)
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Miket wrote:There is a game called "Chinese Whispers" in which a message is passed down a line from child to child along a row of children. At some point, the original message is compared with the message given to the final child.

As the originator of the thread, I have been mildly amused by the organic growth of the thread , originating as an article about a SIKH JOURNALIST who happens to a) hail from Glasgow and b) enjoy wearing kilts - along with a turban, and who is positive about the need to spread the message of kilt wearing.

That this semi-serious article became usurped by a lavatorial theme, discussing WC's, restrooms and the outside privy - along with the benefits ofthe use of hulled corn in such places defies belief!

Where shall we take the theme now? How about the size of the plunger needed to clear any blockages, or perhaps the relative merits of wooden seats compared with plastic seats on the toilet! :)
You are right, just shows how men think, sometimes. :? :roll: :wink:

Peter v.
By the way, I know all about Ausie dunnies, the VERY big and very small deadly spiders that housed there as well, and was very relieved when we moved to a house with a real inside toilet. :D
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.