Article in the Cornell (University) Daily Sun

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
crfriend
Master Barista

Article in the Cornell (University) Daily Sun

Post by crfriend »

Here's a moderately interesting article, written this past February so it's reasonably fresh:

http://cornelldailysun.com/index.php?q=node/21494

It's written by a columnist with the androgenous name of "Dana", so I'm not sure if this person is male or female, but the writing style seems to indicate the latter.

I dumped a comment onto it, and we'll see if it gets published.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Good article. Considering it's not an in-depth look at the subject, it deals very well with the uneven access to fashion freedom for males as compared to females.

The comments are good too.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Dana is, I believe, a womenswear fashion writer for a newspaper and I am pretty confident she is female. But there has been comment made about her piece un the Cornell Sun:

http://cornellsun.com/index.php?q=node/21601

Stu
crfriend
Master Barista

Lady Looks Like A Dude!

Post by crfriend »

Stu wrote:Dana is, I believe, a womenswear fashion writer for a newspaper and I am pretty confident she is female. But there has been comment made about her piece un the Cornell Sun:

http://cornellsun.com/index.php?q=node/21601
Where are Aerosmith when you need 'em? :D

Unfortunately, that article just reinforces the original author's thesis -- that is, that women do wear made-for-men clothing on a very frequent basis. What needs to happen is for some brave soul to stand up and point out that clothes do not have a gender to them, and to drop the stereotyping, especially the completely specious one that a bloke wearing anything other than tr*users is a homosexual.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Question for "Dana"

Post by Since1982 »

I'd like to ask Dana to simply define "women's clothes". I don't think any of my straight or semi-pleated skirts look like "women's clothes". They certainly don't when I am wearing them. No one in his/her right mind would confuse ME with a female, even WITH my ponytail. In my opinion, the "only" clothes that are definitely "women's" are bras, panties without flies, shapers to give the ideal womanly shape etc. In other words, items that specifically fit a female shape. :bouncy:

I won't reply to her article because you have to log in and make an account to do so. I have enough spam mail, don't need to set myself up for any more. :shake: :whiteflag
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

Since1982 wrote: I won't reply to her article because you have to log in and make an account to do so....
Skip, you can reply without registering. It kinda sorta looks like you are registering but it's not. I replied without registering. I can't remember if it required an email address or not -- but if it did I would have just done like I always do and used a bogus one.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I thought it was generally a fairly reasonable article and have added a comment.

I was intrigued that it took three attempts for the server at the other end to solve the maths question correctly! I'm pretty confident that I did not add 3 + 9 together incorrectly, nor 9 + 6.... perhaps there is a case for wondering about the standards of education. :eh:

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce