MIS in Wikipedia

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Do you really think, if I put C's photo in the article, everyone will be perfectly happy? This debate is just the primer for the deluge that will come, if C wins it. There are people hidden in the wings, as yet unseen.
Now you're sounding like a real prat - and turning this discussion into a personal attack on me. Please stop that.

This isn't about "winning" a debate or "losing" it. It is about a very good page in Wikkipedia that you compiled - and how we can improve it, expand it, make it more representative etc. etc. The insertion of some photos was one suggestion of how we could improve the page - and this debate began then - when you categorically stated that you would not put any photos of men in skirts - who were wearing tights - onto the Wikki page. You stated that your decision was not up for discussion.

So - in my opinion, the debate then moved on from how can we improve, expand etc. the Wikki page to - where on earth do you get the authority to decide how to define MIS - all by yourself?

In addition to that, I have found your comments about freestyle MIS to be very offensive - as if you were trying to demean men who choose to dress in a fashion that mixes gender-based clothing. I find your constant references to handbags, heels, lipstick, crinolines etc. to be very peculiar - and wonder why you persist in attacking this form of MIS. I can only assume that this is down to your own prejudice.

I can't be bothered to write any more tonight. There is a lot I would like to say - but what's the point? I'm an old hand at internet forums (fora?) and I gave up getting worked up over stuff a very long time ago. Life is too short.

I think this "argument" is a real pity. I have said right from the beginning that you created a great Wikki page - and should quite rightly be proud of it.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Steve 1

Post by Steve 1 »

Christopher, if you choose to take my arguments personally, that is your choice. My only concern is the quality of the article, and its purpose as an introduction to MIS for joe bloggs. It is you who have started with insults, calling me a pratt; and I've suddenly lost interest in this debate. I think you are covering for feeling excluded, and perhaps you have issues with that. Anyhow, I'm done here. Being called names doesn't get us anywhere.

The article on freestyle is still there for anyone who wants to take on the job.
Steve 1

Post by Steve 1 »

PS. Thank you for the compliment. I'm sure that if we met up in RL, we'd get along just fine. It's just that we have different views on how this article should proceed. I do see your point of view, but I don't agree with it. Leave it 6 months, and maybe you can edit the article without me noticing :)

My view is this: MIS is not freestyle. Your style is freestyle. Nothing more 'attacking' or personal than that. There is some overlap between them, but for the article I want to keep it as simple and digestible as possible for the average person to read. By getting the most basic idea into their heads, it paves the way for more ideas. But giving them too much to grasp initially, we risk people getting half way through the article, saying "oh, pfft" and dismissing the whole thing.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

It is you who have started with insults, calling me a pratt; and I've suddenly lost interest in this debate. I think you are covering for feeling excluded, and perhaps you have issues with that. Anyhow, I'm done here. Being called names doesn't get us anywhere.
No. I didn't call you any names at all. What I wrote was:

#149 - Now you're sounding like a real prat . . .

And you did.

I don't feel excluded Steve. Really - you don't have that much power over me.

To quote a famous Princess:

"Everybody loves me. Except the odd bastard. But they're just wrong you know." :D
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

ChristopherJ wrote:To quote a famous Princess:

"Everybody loves me. Except the odd bastard. But they're just wrong you know." :D

Explain? :confused: :eh: :think:
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Explain?
Sorry. No deep meaning to this - it's just a favourite quote of mine. It came from Nikki on the Big Brother series last summer. Steve_1 was implying that I felt excluded or whatever - and so I was replying to that in a joking way.

Doesn't matter much now as the "discussion" is over - by mutual consent.

I won. :D
Departed Member

Ah! Thanks! It's an 'interesting' quote, to be sure. Just curious, that's all!

However, I have to say that you're the first person I've ever been 'acquainted with'/known who's actually even seen an episode of "Big Brother"! Does/did anyone wear skirts on the programme? Is it still produced? If so, why (seriously) don't you go on it?
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

I have to say that you're the first person I've ever been 'acquainted with'/known who's actually even seen an episode of "Big Brother"! Does/did anyone wear skirts on the programme? Is it still produced? If so, why (seriously) don't you go on it?
You're joking. You must be joking. I cannot believe this.

EVERYONE I know watches Big Brother. Well, almost. Normally it is pretty boring, I must admit - but nevertheless it can be compulsive viewing. The last Big Brother was made interesting for me because of Nikki Grahame. She was a real character - and very interesting too, as she suffered from very severe anorexia from the age of 8 years. Anyhow, she became well known for some of her comments. She can be very . . . off beat.

On the men of the house: 'I can't take it. I've had no male attention for a month, I feel unattractive, I'm dying.'

"I was just born to have money and I haven't got any"

You get the idea . . .

Does anyone wear skirts? No. But they usually have a careful complement of all the usual minorities. One gay man. One lesbian. One black. One Asian. One transsexual. One Chav. One nob. etc. etc.

On Celebrity Big Brother (BB - with minor celebrities) they have had Pete Burns in there - and he wore all sorts of stuff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Burns

Is it still produced? - Yes. And if you haven't heard anything of CBB over the last few months, I can only conclude that you are clinically dead.

Why don't I go on it? - I will - if you will. :D
Departed Member

Oh! Was that the programme where there was some nonsense about alleged "racism"? It doesn't sound like the sort of programme I'd watch ('reality TV, do they call it?), although I did notice when switching channels, a bloke in a Kilt on a (presumably) desert island, with a bunch of attractive young ladies. The Kilt got no special mention - which is how it should be, of course! I kind of assumed this had replaced the (C)BB fiasco. Apparently, (having asked around - again!) some folk actually have seen snippets of these programmes, but turned off/over because they were totally boring!

I've seen Pete Burns (strange chap!) on "Never Mind the Buzzcocks" - I just assumed he'd been in some 'pop' group in the dim & distant past!
knickerless
Member Extraordinaire

Big brother

Post by knickerless »

On the contrary - no one I know admits to watching Big Brother. I have seen od snippets when turning the TV on. It is very boring and they normally pick people who will cause friction and trouble with each other. However it is cheap TV and some people will watch anything (including the Test Card).
A few years ago there was a young man who often dressed in skirts to please a girl on the programme (can't remember his name but he wore a cowboy hat). The the following year there was man with a shaven head who wore long skirts in the evening and no one even mentioned it. (can't remember his name either). Then there was Pete Burns - he seemed to dress in skirts and dresses most of the time. But I never really seriously watched the programme unless I happened to switch on and see a man in a skirt.

nick
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

Somebody has seem of deleted the article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_in_Skirts
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

How can we find out who did it?
kiltair

Post by kiltair »

It has been deleted by JzG
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG
because the Men_in_Skirts article redirected to Men_in_skirts (case-sensitive!), but that didn't exist any longer, because it was deleted by JzG as being a duplicate of the original Men_in_Skirts.
Methinks this the article is deleted by a script or other automated process.
I think it's best that Steve contacts Jzg to correct the matter.

Jan
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

ChristopherJ wrote:How can we find out who did it?
I've heard similar kind of thing happened before a butch of crossdressers got really stroppy & had the old page deleted

Wikipedia is a great resource but its weakness is that its totally open access
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

A butch of crossdressers - is that the collective noun for a number of crossdressers in one place? :confused: :confused: :D

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.