yahoo news art + delurk

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
cidertom

yahoo news art + delurk

Post by cidertom »

Greetings:
from the YAHOO news "service"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061027/ap_en_ot/cool_kilts

Just saw it and it sparked the reason to delurk. 'course the fact that i'm wearing a black kilt today might have some effect....

I work at a university where an official "diversity" policy keeps me out of trouble when I venture out of the normal male attire. Funny thing though, it seems that most of the time "diversity" is OK for students but not us faculty/ staff.

I do have to keep a pair of pants handy against having to climb a tower, aside from the ground level view, the climbing harness and a kilt are a big no-no in more than a fashion sense.:shifty:
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

good article! yahoo is usually bland to the point of invisibility but I enjoyed reading that one.

it's worth reading the messages in the discuss option at the end of the article. One reader writes that in the USA, a kilt is a skirt and still queer. He's shouted down by another who says that there are many US kilt manufacturers and that firefighters and cops wear them too.

http://news.messages.yahoo.com/bbs?acti ... 8446&mid=3
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

I tried looking at the 21th Century Kilts website, but it requires
"Flash"[*], and there's no alternative (non-Flash) entry link. Is there a link that bypasses all the dancing baloney?

Or is the site dancing-baloney-based?

-- AMM

[*] I'm not willing to download flash -- or any other fancy viewing software -- just to look at a clothing website, for 2 reasons:

1. There's already too much junk on my computer, and

2. My experience is that flashy (pun intended!) websites are set up to hypnotize the viewer and to make it hard to just go look at what you want to look at. If I want to find, say, the pink see-through kilt the Yahoo article mentions, I don't want to have to hunt through a maze of 300-second bandwidth-hogging videos just to catch a glimpse of it.
Thanks for all the fish.
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

Just my opinion, but that seems a tad like over-reacting.
Flash is a well thought out, proven technology. This would be like saying 10 years ago "I'm not going to look at any of those fancy HTML pages when the same data could be displayed in text-only", or maybe once you'd be converted to look at HTML pages you'd say "I'm not going to look at any of those fancy frames-based pages" .... oh wait, you would have been correct in that case! :)

Seriously though, I'm with you. I do have flash on my machine and will look at flash pages -- but given a choice on any page that provides a choice, I choose the non-flash 'experience'.

But how do you get by without YouTube????
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

some of those flash sites are like walking into a shop to have a look round and find every object in the shop is being dangled and shook in front of your face.

I don't see how any sane person could have designed them!
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.