Subtle Makeup

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Subtle Makeup

Post by skirttron »

I occasionally like to use makeup, but in a subtle way. I have clear nail varnish, tinted lip moisturiser, tinted face moisturiser, brush-on brozer, and have just got some subtle eyeshadow. I would be less subtle if it were more acceptable to do so.

Of course, all TV personalities and all leading politicians use makeup, so I don't see why I shouldn't. I have actually had it applied professionally a couple of times and I must say I love it.

How about you guys - have you used less-obvious makeup?
Will

Post by Will »

Not sure what you consider obvious....

I use concealer, eye shadow, eyeliner, mascara, powder, sometimes nail polish... no red lipstick ;)

nothing too obvious :cheer:
Bravehearts.us
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bravehearts.us »

skirttron wrote:I occasionally like to use makeup, but in a subtle way. I have clear nail varnish, tinted lip moisturiser, tinted face moisturiser, brush-on brozer, and have just got some subtle eyeshadow. I would be less subtle if it were more acceptable to do so.

Of course, all TV personalities and all leading politicians use makeup, so I don't see why I shouldn't. I have actually had it applied professionally a couple of times and I must say I love it.

How about you guys - have you used less-obvious makeup?
TV personalities and all leading politicians use makeup when are on the screen. I don’t know that any of them wear makeup when they are out in the public as part of their private life. And I don’t see the connection about whether you should or shouldn’t wear makeup. That’s a personal choice like anything else and doesn’t need any other justification.
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Re: Subtle Makeup

Post by Epiceneguy »

I haven't really worn make (except for some, ermmmm games of a sort with my other half, which I'm not going to go into, lol)
But I don't see any issues with guys wearing make-up, we wear hair products and all want to look our best and I do think subtle can be nice on a guy as well as a girl.
There are now a range of male make-up products on sale these days and I'll be honest I'm tempted myself, so I'd say yes go for it fella :D
When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

My wife bought me some male face moisturiser last year because she said my skin was looking dry. I tried it once, but I didn't like how it felt - or how it smelled. That's about the only time I have had any kind of make-up on since I was about twelve.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I'll wear pretty much any garment from the other side of the aisle so to speak - but makeup not much !

I do wear neutral lipsticks because they are nicer to wear than chapstick - just feels better on your lips.
I wear neutral nail polish and I wear dark reds on my toes - pedicure - esp in summertime for open toe shoes/peep toes.

cheers
NZF
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I occasionally wear a neutral lipstick or lip gloss. Neither is really noticeable as evidenced by MOH not noticing or saying anything when I wear it around her. And she would comment! Why bother? I just feel better knowing, that's all. I sometimes wear clear nail varnish when I can be bothered to do my nails. I think that as I have time on my hands I'll have a go today. And yes, MOH does notice when I do my nails.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

Even out and about in pants and t-shirts, I now wear deep red nail varnish something like 80% of the time (until coronavirus lockdown) (a) stops me cheing my nails down to the bone and (b) to make a statement - although not sure what that statement is!!!

Maybe I should go out in total man-wear bit with varnish and deep red lippy on!!
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

I wear lip gloss, and the occasional lipstick. Sometimes foundation and concealer as I have too many spots, but found makeup can play havoc with my skin and is an age to take off. For an evening out I may put some on, but in these times all that foundation will end up on my mask :lol:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

In my game it's unavoidably 'hands on' and sometimes I have to request patients to remove some of their 'war paint' before we can proceed. Not only does it get all over my disposable gloves but I also smear it all over the patient's lower face as well.

Occasionally I get a cold sore myself, usually after a holiday in high UV. To hide these I use a flesh-coloured pencil which does the trick of hiding it.
Cold sores, by the way, are caused by the variola/varicella virus, which we are all hosts to. Outbreaks last almost precisely nine days whether 'treated' or not. Zovirax is an expensive little salve tube frequently recommended, but I find it pretty useless myself.

Here endeth the make-up chapter for myself.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

For some reason, shortly after I started wearing dresses on a regular basis, my lips felt naked so I started wearing subtle shades of lipstick. Almost immediately after I remembered how many women have complimented me on my eyes so I thought, "If I'm going to wear lipstick and dresses, why not enhance the looks of my eyes?" About the time I shattered one of my finger nails, I was in for having my nails done, which is now a sometimes thing.

So where did this end? Today, I needed to do some grocery shopping and thanks to our Governor's stay at home order I hadn't been out in awhile so in my typical one thing leads to another style, instead of throwing on a skirt and a shirt of a casual popover dress, I chose my red Lauren shirtdress and:
  • Plucked, colored and shaped my eyebrows
    Put on mascara and curled my lashes
    Put on eyeliner (Look up how to apply it; it looks worse than it really is
    Applied the obligatory 3 shades of eyeshadow
    Accented my cheekbones with bronzer
    I didn't apply foundation, I save that for the rare occasions I crossdress (No comments!) but I did dab concealer on enough spots foundation probably wouldn't have been that much more work! Except I still would have needed the concealer.

I was pleased with the result and it just felt good to put in the extra effort. I got a few skeptical looks on the light-rail car and in the grocery, but hey, they're no friends of mine anyway.

On the other hand, a friend who phoned me this evening asked for the photos I took of myself and the emojis she emailed back told me she was impressed.

I'll try to attach them so you can judge for yourselves.
IMG_3947.jpg

Closeup 032720, Cafe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Arlene, remind me of your policy on a Border Poll?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

To answer the original question, I do not use makeup in any form. Nor do I used nail polish, other than to use a clear version to stop runs in my sheer tights.

That situation is unlikely to change. I’m happy with my own version of fashion freedom, yet I applaud those of us who wear makeup well.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

When I was a teen a few times my mom gave me a little powder to make my forehead less shiny. I didn't understand what was wrong with shiny. (Still don't.) Other than that no makeup, except for clear nail polish on my right thumbnail occasionally when it is splitting.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I also do not bother with makeup, and I have the girls blessing to try, they even offered to apply it for me. I declined.

I've even gotten away from nail polish, and my styles seem to continue to move toward more "neutral" territory, with the occasional hippie flare.

I think it has to do with the fact that I seem to have less of a desire to express myself in the context of gender, yet I still like wearing skirts.

I seemed to have pushed myself away from most, if not all subcultures and am simply aiming to live a normal life... granted, with skirts in the overall matrix of what makes me me.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.