The Tide is Turning In Male-Female Equality?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
G.Shaw

The Tide is Turning In Male-Female Equality?

Post by G.Shaw »

Folks;
I found this interesting.
I found it on an aviation forum I frequent.

The comments on http://www.airliners.net were atypical of masculine bravado but there were also some comments that made sense in the same thread.

The news article from Yahoo is:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061004/ap_ ... NlYwM3MTg-

The forum message thread on airliners.net is:
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/ge ... n/3023269/

My opinion is that we are finally seeing women being held to the same standards of behavior as men. Previously we were considered the crude lecherous gender. Now women are being held to the same standards.....
It's about time.

I'm looking for comments.

Greg
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

That's an interesting turn on old stereotypes. The reaction of most posters seems to show times have changed very little when the victim is told they should have appreciated the attention. To many of those guys the flight attendant who had his rear grabbed (along with verbal abuse) must be gay or she must have been unattractive to make him complain.

While the news story is gone it does sound like the woman on the plane was way out of line and absoultely she should be charged. It is not just harassment that is being prosecuted more these days but husband batterers as well. About time those behaviors and their victims are taken seriously. Nobody benefits when someone gets a free pass on criminal behavior due to their gender.

That stereotype of men as the crude lecherous gender is pretty evident in the remaks that the attendant should have been joining the mile high club with her. I have to applaud the poster who said "But why on earth would you assume that the lady in question was anything other than a tired old drunken troll? You are (foolishly) assuming that every story involving an airplane contains a hot young girl. (That kind of thinking runs rampant here.)" Nice thing to know is that while there are men running around with sexist atitudes, and women too, there are a lot of other people worth conversing with like the people here. I'd much rather form my ideas of how men can treat others based on the men here.

Quiet Mouse
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Skirt Chaser wrote:It is not just harassment that is being prosecuted more these days but husband batterers as well. About time those behaviors and their victims are taken seriously. Nobody benefits when someone gets a free pass on criminal behavior due to their gender.
There was a documentary about battered husbands on TV the other night. It is unfortunate, but was good (although 'interesting', or possibly 'revealing' might be a better word) to see that such things go on. We hear so much about the wicked man and the virtuous woman.

On a similar theme, the BBC reported today that somewhere in Iraq, 50 civilians including women and children were killed. It would appear that the default casualty is male. Once again, women (and children) are presented as victims, while it is somehow OK for men to be wiped out.

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Charlie,
That probably has something to do with who is doing the wiping out. Through history it seems that menfolk will use some feeble excuse, recruit other men, gather a bunch of pointy metal objects and then go and dismantle each other.
Warfare by default seems to be a male thing so that is one stereotype which to me is justified. The cuddly bits of the human race seem to be less likely to indulge in that sort of tomfoolery. So it seems right that the default battleground giblets are male.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!