Hangbags for men

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
bcmtnbka

Hangbags for men

Post by bcmtnbka »

http://www.georgiastraight.com/content.cfm?id=20363

For the record, I use a bike messenger bag daily. I store my business cards, iPod, notebook and reading material in it.
Raphael

Chinese Blood, Kilted Heart, One United!

Join my Yahoo Kilts Night Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KiltsNight/

My Photo ALbum: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fangfamily

My Blog: http://xingtheline.blogspot.com/
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire
Location: Northern California(North of the Bay Area, that is)

Post by WSmac »

Can't get the link to work... might be my mac or safari.

Since I've been wearing skirts on almost an every-other-day basis, I've been on the lookout for a new bag.
I've got a mix of nylon bags from the outdoor stores, but nothing a bit more 'civilised' :)
WSmac
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r1g0r »

if you patrol the handbag section at stores like k-mart, you'll likely find something like i did.

black leather shoulderbag, 1 back-side pocket, 1 front-side under the flap pocket, and 3 large zippered pockets in the middle. nice quality and on sale for less than $20.

they had a large selection in various sizes and styles, all at drastic reduction.

patient looking pays off!
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirttron »

I almost always carry a manbag on the shoulder; they are slightly ruggedly styled but to tell you the truth I don't see a need to distinguish them from handbags. There is too much junk to carry to use pockets anyway, and it's great always having a pen, and moist wipes to ensure facial perfection after eating. Shoulder bags are much better than sporrans - they don't whack you in the wrong place for one thing, and for another they hold a lot more.
Bravehearts.us
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bravehearts.us »

My wife likes to watch the Red Carpet fashion shows and it never ceases to amaze me how those “fashion” police, (usually women) cut on a guy with a bag and especially a Fanny Pack, saying, “What would men need it for? They don’t have to carry anything but their wallet and keys.” Ya, right!! NOT! I have so much stuff in my Fanny Pack that I had to buy a bigger bag (messenger bag) just to carry everything. Now just my Fanny Pack in and of itself has become an item in my messenger bag. And remember we’re not supposed to carry our wallet in our back pocket because it makes you lopsided and can cause back problems. Hey, ladies listen up if you don’t think guys have anything to carry. Here is a list of the smaller items I carry in my Fanny Pack. Wallet, band aids, pen, candy, breath freshener tablets, small pad of paper, pills, business cards, Chap Stick, , thumb drive for my computer, dental floss, work ID, work keys, checkbook, change. And now for my messenger bag: Phone, antiseptic hand spray, Palm, eye drops, tooth brush, second pair of glasses, a large business notebook, small screwdriver set, a couple of floppy disks, two CD’s, file folder for work files, Day Planner, lighter and cigarettes, moist hand wipes, small collapsible umbrella, sunglasses and cologne. I think that’s everything. So the next time you wonder what a guy needs a bag for ask one if you can look. I think you’ll find he’s got more junk than YOU!
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Briefcase

Post by ChrisM »

I carry a handbag for currency, passport, credit cards.

I am most often seen also with my briefcase. This thing has been my companion for over 20 years, and weighs some 35lbs with the stuff I lug around. It's mostly paper - reports I'll try to read on the tube, notes and jottings that don't fit in any one file or other. Frequently has one or two laptops in it too, plus the normal stuff of checkbook, calculator, spare eyeglasses, USB memory stick, etc.

Many years ago I used to refer to my briefcase as 'a man's purse.'

It's still an apt description, I have simply fallen out of the habit of saying it.

Chris
Bravehearts.us
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bravehearts.us »

I’m notorious for pulling my wife’s clothes out of the box that she intended for Goodwill and using them for myself. This morning I found that she put one of her, over sized, hooded nylon windbreakers in the box. I pulled it out, tried it on and it fit me perfectly and I’ll bet no one will know that I’m cross dressing (LOL) when they see me in it!
Lar
Brandy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brandy »

Eugene Leather Works
http://eugeneleatherworks.com/default.aspx

Large Sling Pack

Use it everyday it has caused an occasional raised eyebrow. I'm lost without it.

-- Brandy
Will

Post by Will »

Bravehearts.us wrote:My wife likes to watch the Red Carpet fashion shows and it never ceases to amaze me how those “fashion” police, (usually women) cut on a guy with a bag and especially a Fanny Pack, saying, “What would men need it for? They don’t have to carry anything but their wallet and keys.” Ya, right!! NOT!
I know what you mean. I have my wallet, cell-phone, coughdrops (thank you sinuses), MP3 player, small flashlight, cosmetics, and cologne. That a typical day.... sometimes more. :D
Bravehearts.us
Member Extraordinaire

Brandy

Post by Bravehearts.us »

Brandy wrote:Eugene Leather Works
http://eugeneleatherworks.com/default.aspx

Large Sling Pack

Use it everyday it has caused an occasional raised eyebrow. I'm lost without it.

-- Brandy
Those eyebrows that were raised must be attached to people who don’t get out much. The picture you posted looks like nice typical leather back pack.
Brandy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brandy »

Bravehearts.us wrote:Those eyebrows that were raised must be attached to people who don’t get out much. The picture you posted looks like nice typical leather back pack.

Yes and the best one was going through the security check at San Jose, CA airport. I got delayed going through the metal detector a male TSA agent holds up the backpack and shouts "WHOSE PURSE IS THIS?" I shout back from the gate "IT'S MINE!" you should have seen his red face, he spoke very quietly to me after that. I just unzipped it, he peeked and went away.

-- Brandy
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

anyone who takes flights is going to need a bag at the airport. try sorting out two kinds of currency, credit cards, mobile phone, magazines, bottle of water, passport, tickets, vouchers, car hire keys etc without one.

check out http://www.yoox.com and have a look at some of the diesel bags: they're very rugged looking, with loads of compartments. cool!

five threads I've killed! nobody can beat that, surely..?
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
Sashi

Post by Sashi »

iain wrote:five threads I've killed! nobody can beat that, surely..?
Aw you too? I have a bad tendency to kill threads as well :whistle:

Anyways, to keep on topic. This is something I need to look into sometime. I have a tendency (there goes that line again) to wear athletic shorts (like basketball players wear), and of course they don't come equipped with pockets. Even just a simple wallet/cellphone/keys combo can be tricky to manage in a situation like that. Plus it'd make carrying CDs out to the car much easier, at least until I can afford to equip it with a hard drive based player that can hold around 40 GBs. Now if I can just get one that can be connected to through WiFi... audio player that is, not a shoulder bag purse thing :yummy:
http://the-shining-path.blogspot.com
Hatred is learned, not inherited. Let a little child from Iraq play with a child from the United States, and they will play together without a care in the world. Put the children back in their homes and their parents and the media will teach them hate and prejudice.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Yesterday I was in a shoe shop in Weston-Super-Mare. The men's section (down one wall, rest of shop dedicated to women's shoes) had some bags hanging on the wall. They were drab and functional-looking, so obviously made for the male market.

As an aside, I spotted some men's shoes with the laces offset i,e, not central like most shoes. I thought that was rather daring, and perhaps a radical shift in men's footwear.

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Been using a plain shoulder bag curtesy UK National Trust shop for 2 years now, every day including at work - only adverse comment was some teasing from a female friend.

Carry: Wallet, credit cards, passport, driver's licence, medicines, business cards, mobile phone, computer data stick, notepad, pens, glue to keep hold-ups (thigh-highs) up, chapstick, handcream, torch, spectacles, tissues, keys, emery boards and sundry junk.

Glad I don't have that in trouser pockets!
All the best,

Andrew