A chance for a fresh start in the world...

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire
Location: Northern California(North of the Bay Area, that is)

A chance for a fresh start in the world...

Post by WSmac »

I started back to college this week.
I made the decision that for the first time in my life, I would introduce myself as who I am and not what I think other people would want me to be.

What I did was to wear a skirt on campus everyday I was there.
I figure that if I start out this way, everyone will know me as a guy who wears skirts.
If I started out in jeans or shorts then one day wore a skirt, the skirt wearing might be seen as some manner of showing-off.

Next week I'll go in barefoot also.

I wore my CitySkirt (a long blue denim one I got a year or two ago), my UK Workman in black, and a knee-length cargo skirt in blue I got from KMart.

No bad experiences this week. No comments, and I was very comfortable!

I do find though, that I have a thing or two to learn about sitting in knee-length or shorter skirts!:scratchchin:
WSmac
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Sounds good!

Post by Since1982 »

Thanks for sharing that with us!! :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Mary Jane Boy

Very good decision

Post by Mary Jane Boy »

If you want to wear skirts then wear them. It does comfuse people when you swich back and forth (although women do it all the time).

I have groups of friends who have never seen me in anything but a skirts and others that see me wearing skirts and pants. The last time I went out with the group that is used to seeing me dress in either skirts or pants several people were very confused when I wore shorts (for a change). People keept asking me why I wasn't wearing a skirt!

Mary Jane Boy
Mary Jane Boy

http://www.mary-janeshoes.com

"Mary Jane's - not just for girls anymore!"
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

in that case, that's my question too!!!
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
Bravehearts.us
Member Extraordinaire

Mjb

Post by Bravehearts.us »

Do you have any of your last vacation pictures of you in a skirt/kilt? I noticed that you were wearing shorts in all the ones I saw.
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Post by binx »

WSmac wrote:
Next week I'll go in barefoot also.

I do find though, that I have a thing or two to learn about sitting in knee-length or shorter skirts!:scratchchin:
May have some trouble going barefoot if it's the cafeteria.:shake: Still working on the sitting part myself.:rolleyes:

binx
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WSmac »

binx wrote:May have some trouble going barefoot if it's the cafeteria.:shake: Still working on the sitting part myself.:rolleyes:

binx

I know what you mean.
I was politely asked to not come back to a local grocery store without, at the very least, flip-flops (shower thongs) on my feet.

I once wrote to both the California State Department of Health and the same office of the county I lived in.
I asked them of the rumor that in America you can't go barefoot where food is being served... commercially that is.

Both departments wrote back to say that they really didn't care what I wear/not wear on my feet. There is no public health issue regarding bare feet in food establishments.

I thought that was my 'foot-in-the-door' where ever I may trod :cheer:

But alas, certain people just found new reasons to keep me out of their businesses barefoot :naughty:

Here's a few websites to help fuel more barefoot energy!
http://www.runningbarefoot.org/
http://www.barefooters.org/hikers/
http://www.barefooters.org/
WSmac
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

No shoes - no shirt - no service!

I have seen that sign in many stores and have to remark on one sad thing.

The sign was enforced to the letter, but some farmers, in from cleaning their barns were allowed into the grocery store - with manure on their boots. I really doubt that bare feet or a bare chest would be less sanitary than the manure being tracked all over the store.

On second thought, maybe no shoes - no service would be a good idea in farming country - who wants to feel manure squish between their toes?

PatJ
knickerless
Member Extraordinaire

No shoes etc

Post by knickerless »

In the long hot summer of 1976 - water was in short supply and beer suply was short as well. There was a pub in High Beech with the following notice

'No shoes - no service'

' No glasses to be taken over the road' (people used to sit on the green and drink)

'No Draught Lager'

'No drinks sold till after 8pm'

I did consider taking off my shoes and shirt and walking in at 7.55 and asking for 2 draught lagers to take across the road please.

Nick
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

A squeaky wheel

Post by Since1982 »

So you're a squeaky wheel huh? I'm one also. about 6 months ago I had Jury duty. I called ahead to see what the dress code for court was .... There was one. NO Cutoffs, NO tank tops, NO flip flops, NO shorts, NO mini skirts.

So, I put on my poiple T shirt, My poiple mid calf skirt, my old vinyl loafers with no socks and showed up for jury duty...The bailiff stopped me at the door and said, You can't wear that here! I said, there's a woman right ahead of me wearing a mid calf skirt, why can't I wear one also? He said, it's not the skirt, it's that T-shirt with the big hole in the back. OOOOOOPS.....I hadn't noticed the hole when I put it on...So I rushed home and got a new T-shirt on and went back for 3 days of jury duty and skirt compliments. :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Shops that put up "No this, no that" type notices deserve ... no custom :p

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

"ers"?

Post by Since1982 »

Charlie wrote:Shops that put up "No this, no that" type notices deserve ... no custom
"ers"? (Lade dahh de dahh...I added all the ladedahhs cause the program told me "ers"? was too short a reply and I needed 10 or more characters...LOL)

Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Ah, I see what you mean Skip. I meant custom as in drawing yourself up to your maximum height, fixing the shopkeeper with a beady eye and announcing in a lofty manner "In that case, I shall take my custom elsewhere"

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

San Diego

Post by ChrisM »

At least one of the shops in San Diego sports the sign:

No Shirt
No Shoes
No Problem

My kind of place!

C
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WSmac »

The outfit I'm wearing in my little avatar (that is what that little pic in my posts is, isn't it?), is what I wore to the Big Sure Marathon in California last year.

The bottom is a very bright :cool: 'running skirt' based upon Scott's 'Running Skirt'. I think his page is still up on the net even though he doesn't sell the skirt (or patterns?) anymore. He was nice enough to walk me through his construction instructions.

My top was a tank top with printing on both sides-
Front:

NO SHORTS
NO SHOES
NO... PROBLEM!
FREEDOM!
WHAT RUNNING IS ALL ABOUT!

BACK:

SURE IT'S A SKIRT!
And it's a MANLY Skirt at that!
M.U.G.S. FOR THE FUTURE!
Be a man... Be a Braveheart!

My other running shirt celebrating barefoot running but not skirt-wearing says-

on the back:
We don't need no stinkin' shoes
(in homage to that oft quoted line from 'Treasure of the Sierra Madres"...
"Badges!?", "We don't need no stinkin' badges!")

The front has a picture of the hairy running guy from runningbarefoot.org

...all that history just because someone mentioned those stinkin' store signs here... :D
WSmac