Excess Baggage

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Miket

Excess Baggage

Post by Miket »

Not a side-swipe at my corpulence, but rather a programme which is broadcast on BBC Radio 4 on Saturday Morning's at 10.00 am (BST).

Today's issue had an article about a British traveller who left his native Edinburgh and gone to live in the Canadian wilderness. He related the invitation he received to a social "barn" dance one evening.

He decided to go in a kilt, as becomes a good Scot. Unfortunately, the band, and most of the apparently red-necked male population had never HEARD of a kilt, and he was refered to as the "man in a dress" throughout the rather traumatic evening.

Listen to it at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/ram ... aggage.ram

Unfortunately the article in question is in the last 5 minutes of the 30 minute programme.

I can't believe that there isn't a Scot, or those of Scot's descent, somewhere in the Canadian wilderness!
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Post by binx »

Probably is, just not at that location. I have met a few "isolated" individuals that called my kilt a dress, with Argyll jacket, sporran, and hose. I explained what a dress is, so they considered it a skirt...:shake: If he was a British traveller, how could he be a native Scot from Edinburgh?

binx
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

binx wrote:If he was a British traveller, how could he be a native Scot from Edinburgh?
Last time I looked, Scotland was joined to the top of England and so qualified as a part of the British Isles. :) :) :)

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" is the official name of the issuing country on my passport and most certainly includes Scotland, as well as Wales but not Eire (the rest of Ireland once the six counties of the North are removed from the equation). You might find it easier to think of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland as states within the country of the UK, the analogy with the USA is not particularly accurate but it gives a flavour of how the UK is comprised.

Hope that helps,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Fictional Movie

Post by Since1982 »

King Edward the Longshanks in that popular but mostly fictional movie "Braveheart" said after Wallace sacked York, "How can my Kingdom be safe if I can't control the Northern part of MY Island."

Scotland IS on the same British Island that London is on. Just a bit farther North. :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/