Somebody to contact to push our agenda

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Renesm

Somebody to contact to push our agenda

Post by Renesm »

A new daily newspaper in London is about to start and I'm sure that they will be looking for ideas for features. It is up to us to make sure we get journalists writing positive stories about fashion freedom. So I've pasted this from a newsletter I get.

"Carrie Gorman, currently Fashion Editor of Bliss, is to become thelondonpaper's Style and Shopping Editor on Monday 14 August. She will look after its fashion (women's and men's), beauty and home pages featuring high street, boutique and high end shopping. Carrie can be contacted on carrie.gorman@newsint.co.uk"

I'm sure a couple of feature ideas for new men's fashions would be a start.
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

that's a good idea. i sent her this email:

Dear Carrie,

I read about the new london publication and was wondering if you will get a chance to include some new ideas for men's fashions in your columns?

I'm part of a web group called Tom's cafe (now SkirtCafe.org) and we're always pushing for more fashion options for men--kilts, skirts etc but in a masculine context. A lot of men enjoy the freedom of some skirt fashions, and there are many manufacturers who make masculine versions for that market, such as Utilikilts in Seattle.

The problem is one of acceptance: many women certainly encourage this trend, but usually among men other than theirs, possibly because of some reflection on their own femininity. Men generally do not like to be radically different from their peers but they always are on the lookout for opportunities to change their styles under the umbrella of some social excuse, such as a party or holiday.

I'd be interested in your views and would welcome and support any publication which took a more open view of the currently stifling and actually quite depressing state of men's fashion.
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

which of course duly came back, recipient unknown.

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<carrie.gorman@newsint.co.uk>

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to smtp1.newsint.co.uk.:
>>> RCPT To:<carrie.gorman@newsint.co.uk>
<<< 550 Mailbox unavailable or access denied - <carrie.gorman@newsint.co.uk>
550 <carrie.gorman@newsint.co.uk>... User unknown
gshubert

save and try later

Post by gshubert »

Save that email, and try later. Perhaps they're not fully set up yet. I found this news from August 7,

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/article/0 ... ndon_paper

"News International’s free London evening paper has revealed the names of several senior journalists ahead of its launch next month. ... "

"Thelondonpaper will launch on 18 September. It aims to achieve a distribution of 400,000 and will be given out by hand by 700 distributors between 4.30pm and 7.30pm. It will have a total staff of 70 including journalists."
--G. Shubert
Bravehearts.us
Member Extraordinaire

But what is our agenda?

Post by Bravehearts.us »

There are so many here with different tastse and even different ideas of what's acceptable on a man that I'm not sure it's clear cut.
Lar
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

but what's the difference? whatever is the thing which resonates with the writers will make it to the page.. if all they are interested in is long socks, that will be their focus!

all we can do is present the variety of ideas which appear here, and I don't think any of it can hurt. it's not like a political party where everyone has to intone the same formulaic platitude--the disturbing thing about politicians is that you sense immediately they don't believe what they're saying and are only acting like an echo chamber.

at least here everyone is passionate about whatever they're passionate about.. i'd be happy if that paper just put ins some photos of guys in skirts and kilts.. wouldn't bother me if the fashion wasn't precisely mine.. it would just make it easier for me to be myself!
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

this counts as 3 threads I killed!