Sheffield boy wears skirt to school

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Stu,

I confess - I have an obsession with wine. I love the stuff. I must have about 700+ bottles at the moment. I'm off to a wine tasting in York on the 27th, one in Manchester on the 28th and one in London on the 29th. Excessive? Yes! Do I do this all the time? No: my liver couldnt stand it.

I'll bring a bottle over one of these days - not quite Lafite(!!) but I'm sure you would enjoy it!

Ray
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Monty wrote:You realise no one in Australia drinks that rubbish. We have far better brews that never make it to the distant shores of the UK. Try Coopers Pale, Boags Premium or Crown Larger if you can find them (actually the last is probably not that different to fosters considering it comes from the same brewery).
What rubbish? Wine, or another beer?

I was in Oz in April, and Boags is lovely. Also James Squire. Crown - a bit boring for me.

Ray
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Choices

Post by Since1982 »

I like the part where the school says its NOT OK for boys to wear shorts but it IS OK for boys to wear skirts. WUNNERFULL, Add it to the School's Uniform Dress Code. LOL, Makes sense to me, if girls are allowed to wear skirts but not shorts and boys are allowed to wear skirts but not shorts then they have equal rights, no?:cheer: :cheer: :ninjajig: :whiteflag :bouncy:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I'll have to say that in reading the original article I'm actually rather surprised on how well everybody in question is handling the situation -- quite unlike, I suspect, what'd happen on these shores.

Billy has shown quite a bit of pluck and steadfastness in his "protest" and hasn't been castigated by the school authorities. He wasn't sent home to change, wasn't placed on suspension (as happened to a few lads at another private school in the UK not too long ago), and wasn't, apparently, humiliated by the other students.

The school has shown remarkable restraint, in view of what they, in private, must regard as a bit inane (administrators can be that way). The public statement that shorts were disallowed as part of the uniform, but that if Billy wants to wear a skirt that's OK and not a "violation" of the rules shows remarkable flexibility and tolerance.

Billy's fellow students did give him some ribbing, but Bill has the final laugh -- he's not sweating his ****s off whilst his stick-up-the-backside cohorts are. That fact will, no doubt, get out sooner or later, and the other lads may reconsider their slavish devotion to tr*users.

So, when one thinks about it rationally, one quite naturally comes to Stu's viewpoint -- why change the "dress code" when options already exist, and are permitted, for males to wear something cooler than long pants in the sweltering weather. Just hit the problem head on, force the understanding that all skirts are are "loose tubes of fabric" designed to keep the wearer modest; they look good (better than pants in my opinion) and are very comfortable. This may, just may, be a groundbreaker in getting the old stereotype of "crossdressing" shoved into the grave it so justly deserves. (It was interesting to note that the only mention of "crossdressing" came from Billy's mother.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

The school may well have a non-gender based 'dress code'. Like many of these equality-based dress codes, no-one probably expected one of the lads to have the guts to actually wear a skirt. If they include shorts, then that would equally apply to the girls. Of course, if it's in the dress code, then it is impossible to be regarded as 'cross-dressing' (either way!). Unlike Mr B*ckham (with his sarong-wrap over his compulsory jeans), the young lad looks cool & confident - a shining example to everyone!
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

yes, Billy looked pretty confident. He's obviously got his head screwed on right--he listens to himself and values his own opinion above those of people who "know what's best" for him. There goes a future leader, I think.
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Yes, sorry I should have been more specific. Its just generally a matter of much amusement to Australians that the world associates Fosters with Australia despite no one drinking it here.
Departed Member

Monty wrote:Yes, sorry I should have been more specific. Its just generally a matter of much amusement to Australians that the world associates Fosters with Australia despite no one drinking it here.
Mmnn, we associate Fosters with re-processed urine!:doh: :duck:
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

understandable misapprehension thanks to the massive ad campaign they ran over here.

to counteract it, you'd need to remind people that australians do NOT drink the stuff--running some clever 1 minute ads in prime time on tv for about 2 years plus a relentless press campaign--that should about do it.

so, to set the record straight--you would need about $200m!
Departed Member

Every Aussie (over the last decade!) I've met in a bar, has been at great pains to take the trouble to tell me that they wouldn't touch the stuff (or Castlemaine 4X, either)! They really didn't need to - I won't drink such rubbish - even for free! Their adverts are among the best on the TV, though!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Deuteronomy

Post by Since1982 »

Carl Friend wrote:I'll have to say that in reading the original article I'm actually rather surprised on how well everybody in question(in the UK) is handling the situation -- quite unlike, I suspect, what'd happen on these (in the USA) shores.
Yes, even though the UK is where the "Puritans" came from, it's the US of A where they are still running a lot of balderdash on the populace. We are still getting Deuteronomy stuffed down our throats by the "Puritans" in our country and they are still adversely affecting the clothing choices for those that need jobs to exist. Too bad they can't or won't read Deuteronomy in the way it was intended to be read. It was originally created to stop soldiers from dressing as women to avoid military service, as I understand it, and that's not what's happening in our world regarding Unbifurcated Garments.
:think:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

Maybe it's just that they have bad memories of Corporal Klinger, from M.A.S.H.? I understand Puritans have great memories..
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Klinger

Post by Since1982 »

Corporal Klinger alias Jamie Farr, was a "before his time" fashion statement. You couldn't have had a better person for the Klinger character, dark, hairy, ungainly, not too bright...LOL The costumers for that M.A.S.H. show were really busy finding perfect clothes for Klinger. I wonder how Jamie Farr felt about the clothes after wearing them for 6 years of shows and looking at 15 years of re-runs? Who knows, he might have liked the skirts and dresses...He might still be wearing MUGs...It's a hard habit to break once you've felt the freedom and coolness of wearing a skirted garment instead of trousers. :)

Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Boy Who Dressed To Chill

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi All,
I posted this to the Sheffield newspaper that covered the story about Billy wearing a skirt to school. A bit dis-jointed, but there you go.

Well done that lad for wearing a skirt to school. A bit of inginuity and lots of bottle, probably made him nice and cool.
A man/boy wearing a skirt is not crossdressing. Men have worn skirts thousands of years before women. Skirts are just items of apparel to retain modesty.. The Romans conquered half the known world wearing a skirt. Women are the biggest crossdressers around, but no-one takes any notice.
Men should be free to wear what they want, and not what a mindset society decrees is normal.
Greg
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
Taken from Daily Mirror (Thur):

Nice One , Sun
Melting roads, buckled rails,power cuts and water shortages call for desperate measures. Schoolboy Billy White may have gone a step too far though. The cheeky 13 year-old borrowed a skirt to wear which earns him full marks for initiative-but nil points for style.

Another gutter press member who is so blinkered and mindset it's not true.
I thought he looked normal, even good in his skirt.
Greg