Sheffield boy wears skirt to school

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Big_John

Boy Who Dressed To Chill

Post by Big_John »

Found the following news item from the sheffieldtoday in the UK
[URL="http://www.sheffieldtoday.net/ViewArtic ... ID=1636263"]

The 13-year-old Silverdale pupil is all hot and bothered about official uniform rules which allow girls to wear cool airy skirts - while the lads have to sweat it out in long trousers.
This week's heatwave proved to be the last straw, stirring Billy into a one-pupil protest.
"Billy feels that the rules massively discriminate against boys in this kind of hot weather," explained his mum Jane at their home in Grange Cliffe Close, Millhouses.

Who is right - Billy or the school?
Is Billy right? Should boys be allowed to shed their normal school uniform in favour of shorts - or skirts - in the hot weather? Join our online poll at sheffieldtoday.co.uk or tell us what you think by writing to the Editor, The Star, Sheffield, S1 1PU or by email at starletters@sheffieldnewspapers.co.uk.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I live about 20 miles from Billy, so I'll be writing to the Sheffield Star to support him. But not right now. I've just got back from a delightful dinner party having enjoyed tipples of Château Lafite (1975), Dom Perignon (1992), vintage port and a rather elegant Très Vieille fine champagne cognac. All courtesy of a rather wealthy chum of mine.

But fear not! As soon as my hangover cure kicks in, I'll be rattling on the old keyboard to speak up for that plucky young fellow.

Stu (..hic...)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Stu,

Nice party!

the Dom P 1992 is drinking well now, after a long period. I would imagine that you experienced some citrussy notes with a long toasty finish. I have several 1996s in my collection.

1975 Lafite? Difficult year - very tannic wines, but it should hev shrugged off the harshness to leave a haunting velvety texture and the aroma of cedarwood and cigar box. I have but one bottle - the 1997.

Ray
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

Mineral water, anyone?
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
Monty

Post by Monty »

You realise no one in Australia drinks that rubbish. We have far better brews that never make it to the distant shores of the UK. Try Coopers Pale, Boags Premium or Crown Larger if you can find them (actually the last is probably not that different to fosters considering it comes from the same brewery).
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Sheffield boy wears skirt to school

Post by Ray »

I'm sure this has been picked up elsewhere (I just can't remember where exactly) but here's the link

http://www.sheffieldtoday.net/ViewArtic ... ID=1636263

Have a look and then read (if you wish) my response. For those who are non-UK resident, "EOC" = Equal Opportunities Commission - a body who appear to ignore equal opps if it's the male being discriminated against.

Response

I read your article yesterday regarding the schoolboy who was not allowed to wear shorts in hot weather. He thus donned a skirt to make a point.

In response to your question, "Should boys be allowed to shed their normal school uniform in favour of shorts - or skirts - in the hot weather?", here is my response.

The first point to make is that this should not be an issue of having to flout the rules. When the weather exceeds certain limits, boys should indeed be allowed to wear shorts. This can be accommodated quite easily into the school rules so that uniform compliance and pupil comfort are mutually achievable.

The student, Billy, is quite right in saying that there is clear discrimination against boys. While girls can wear either skirts or trousers depending on their whim, boys are restricted in choice. With shorts as a currently accepted male equivalent to skirts, it is clear to me that to redress the issue, shorts should be made abailable to boys. Both sexes therefore have a similar choice of uniform that caters for all weathers.

As to whether boys should be allowed to wear skirts, that's an interesting issue. The first reaction of many will be "don't be stupid - skirts are for girls". However, 30 years ago, the same arguments applied to girls wearing trousers. The fact is that, leaving societal prejudices aside, a skirt is simply a wrap garment. It has no sex or gender per se.

Scots males wear a type of skirt, but by the simple expedient of calling them kilts, society is appeased. Around the globe, millions of men happily wear skirts or wrap garments without a whiff of reaching for a blonde wig or lipstck! So in theory, yes, boys should be allowed to wear skirts. The picture of Billy hardly portrays an effeminate individual - simply a boy in comfortable clothing.

Perhaps the school should continue to allow boys to wear skirts (on paper) but knowing that there remains a stigma (even in the 21st Century) about such an action, permit them to wear shorts as an alternative. That would seem to make sense. Those who want to wear skirts will do so, thereby eroding the stigma of male skirt wearer = cross dresser.

I hope that this case highlights the continuing inequity between the sexes in clothing matters - somthing the EOC denies by hiding behind the strapline that trousers and skirts on women are socially acceptable; skirts on boys are not. It reminds me of South Africa when they glibly stated that "separation of blacks from whites is socially accceptable" or in the early 20th Century when "voting for men is socially acceptable; votes for women are not". My examples are far more serious than clothing issues, yet all that does it to highlight the absurdity of creating rigid and unfair gender boundaries on what is, after all, only clothes.

In short, good for Billy. He's standing up for his principles and appears to have support.

Ray A
Derbyshire
wintermute

Post by wintermute »

I would say "Well done, Billy". Quite a brave thing to do to make a point. School is quite a rough place on the whole, and "outsiders" are easy targets for jibes & worse if they don't follow the current youth culture fashion trends.
The fact that he has placated his fellow students by saying it's being done as a joke has got him off the hook as a target for ridicule, but it is interesting that he mentions how comfortable it is.......I don't think that the shorts he craves would offer the same level of comfort though....
geegee

Post by geegee »

Well done Billy and well done Ray on such an articulate and reasoned response.
Geegee
"Comfort before conformity"
Renesm

I've voted

Post by Renesm »

I've voted
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Interesting article! The school actually says he isn't breaking any rules by wearing the skirt (but he would be in shorts!). I reckon after a full week, he's going to be reluctant to go back to tr*users, regardless! Reading 'between the lines', after some good-natured barracking, it appears to have been accepted by the other kids. What a shame it's the last week of term.......!

Don't forget, if you're quick the online poll is still open currently 89% for shorts/skirts (note: no discimination here!)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Where's the online poll? I am struggling to find it. [Edit: found it! www.sheffieldtoday.co.uk]

I have to say that the school does deserve respect for letting the individual wear a skirt. Many would not.

Ray
Rogon

Post by Rogon »

Nice looking skirt. I wonder where we could buy one? Or 2, or 3? :cheer:
boca

Post by boca »

Ray wrote:Where's the online poll? I am struggling to find it. [Edit: found it! www.sheffieldtoday.co.uk]

I have to say that the school does deserve respect for letting the individual wear a skirt. Many would not.

Ray
http://www.sheffieldtoday.co.uk/

Looking at the poll, it looks like there are quite a number of people who are in support of Billy's stance. When I voted, 88% were in favor of

"Should boys be able to shed their school uniforms in favour of shorts - or skirts - in the hot weather?"
OldNick

Post by OldNick »

found this in today's Times (London):

"Fry guys

I know there are certain advantages to being a man: not having to bear a child, being able to pee standing up, that sort of thing. But on days like these, I can’t tell you how glad I am to be a woman.

Imagine having to wear long trousers and socks in 37-degree heat! Imagine, for some poor souls, having to wear a jacket and tie as well! My heart goes out to these men. We, meanwhile, can turn up to work in a sleeveless sun dress and flip-flops.

You would have to be as confident of your masculinity as David Beckham to follow suit. But, believe me, it’s the only comfortable way to get through a heatwave.

maryann.sieghart@thetimes.co.uk"

seems Billy is confident enough in his masculinity - could teach us oldsters a thing or two! I have to wear a jacket and tie - why? it's my own business!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

My letter to the Sheffield Star. Not as comprehensive as Ray's, but I think I've made the point, albeit with a slightly different slant.
"Re the boy who wore a skirt to school - I'm on the school's side. Girls are sensible and opt for trousers when it's cold or windy. Billy has learned that skirts are just loose tubes of cloth, that they're great to wear in hot weather, and that wearing one doesn't make you a cross-dresser or a sissy. I hope he continues and his friends join him. Why bring shorts into the equation? The social taboo about males not wearing skirts is simply an edict of fashion. It is unreasonable and discriminatory in this day and age."
We'll see if it makes it into print.

BTW - Ray. You are obviously a big drinker. Of wine I mean. A connoisseur, of course...I don't mean drinking lots of it all at ... That wouldn't be a connoisseur, that would be just sloshed. Oh Dear! I'm beginning to sound like Basil Fawlty!

I do enjoy fine wines, and I had plenty of vinous enjoyment last night! Rather like the proverbial art Phillistine, I'll say that "I'm no expert, but I know what I like".

Stu