Sheffield boy wears skirt to school

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
crfriend
Master Barista

Herd mentality.

Post by crfriend »

"[i wrote:The Daily Mirror[/i]"]Schoolboy Billy White may have gone a step too far though. The cheeky 13 year-old borrowed a skirt to wear which earns him full marks for initiative-but nil points for style.
That comment is so sad, and so misguided. I'm not sure which reporter or editor let it slip into print, but it really does point up a pitiful view of things.

I give the lad full marks for the works -- the rig looked good on him, he looked confident and proud in it, and he thumbed his nose at the establishment, all in one fell stroke. My hat's off to him.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

I agree

Post by Since1982 »

The writer (if you can call him/her that) is probably hen-pecked one way or the other and well inside the box with no peepholes to see the real world out of. I think Billy looked great in his outfit, the polo shirt and skirt were the same color, the white trim on the shirt made it into a very fashionable setup. His confident smile and the masculine way he stood couldn't possibly be misunderstood for anything other than a cool comfortable young man!

As Carl said, it is really sad that there are still people out there in positions of authority that are so far inside the box they can't see the light when it's shining right on them. Good for Billy, a true picture of "Comfort before Conformity" :whiteflag :clap: :clap: :stir:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Eagle 95

Post by Eagle 95 »

crfriend wrote:I'll have to say that in reading the original article I'm actually rather surprised on how well everybody in question is handling the situation -- quite unlike, I suspect, what'd happen on these shores.
I figure that'd be accurate, that here, they'd make a mountain out of a molehill. Like rules in the dress code against wearing a certain color(s) or certain clothing because you might get mistaken for a gangbanger (even if the school's out in the suburbs...sheesh, I read about a school that made a girl take her red, white and blue necklace off cus some gang was using those colors. Ironically, the school itself used red, white and blue:sarcastic: ), or you can't wear backless shoes because of safety concerns (Why? they can bring tennis shoes with em for gym or recess. and I don't remember needing to run all that much in algebra ;) )
it's sadly hilarious to me how hung up a lot of folks here (in the US, I mean) are about sexuality-sad because obviously, it's none of their business; hilarious because they think they're holier-than-thou right. If Billy and his mom were American, I could see the mom saying "Oh my God, my boy's turning gay!" while wearing jeans :sarcastic:
You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace
-Ernie Banks
:( Rest in Peace Quadrevion Henning and Purvis Virginia Parker
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Any replies from the Sheffield Star?

Post by Stevie D »

Those of you who have sent e-mails to the Sheffield Star about their article on Billy wearing a skirt to school - have any of you had a reply? I sent an e-mail but never had a reply (except possibly for a blank e-mail with no subject-line and no content which i received a few hours afterwards).

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sheffield is a cosmopolitan, easy-going city. I've never had any trouble wearing skirts here out and about, and generally its a very pleasant city in which to live.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)