WWD: Men’s Skirts Were All Over the Fall Runways. But Will They Sell?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

WWD: Men’s Skirts Were All Over the Fall Runways. But Will They Sell?

Post by Coder »

https://wwd.com/menswear-news/mens-desi ... 235586490/

Second link might work better:

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... 5586490%2F
Reginald Christian, men’s fashion market manager at Saks Fifth Avenue in the U.S., said the department store began offering men’s skirts last season and currently carries styles from Thom Browne, Ludovic de Saint Sernin, Sacai and Rick Owens.

“Skirts recently became increasingly visible throughout menswear collections such as Thom Browne, Willy Chavarria and Gucci. This encouraged us to add skirts to our men’s assortment as we continue to expand wardrobe opportunities for our clients and shop for the future,” he said.

“At this moment, it is a niche market. However, we are keeping a close eye on the category to gauge its scalability and commercial potential,” he added.
Federica Montelli, head of fashion at Rinascente in Italy, said that while she might buy more risqué pieces for display purposes, she is counting on tamer options to actually sell.

“Either the kilt or a skort: that would be my best bet, with some sturdy boots, a bit like the Dior styling, or like the Comme des Garçons styling with chunky lace-ups,” she said. “Otherwise, the option would be like Givenchy, which is more like an extra layer on top of pants rather than a real skirt.”

That look resonated most widely with buyers polled by WWD, who said it was an easier sell. “The practical side of it needs to be a factor in the conversation. I mean, it’s not sexy to say it but it is true, right?” said Montelli.
Also happens to be the front page article on that site (Women's Wear Daily) - wonder if they have a comment section.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: WWD: Men’s Skirts Were All Over the Fall Runways. But Will They Sell?

Post by FLbreezy »

The woman in the second paragraph "gets it". Men will try it if it's practical (look at the utility kilt for example). Women are used to putting up with fussy clothes if it looks good, men aren't.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

FLbreezy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:04 pm Men will try it if it's practical (look at the utility kilt for example). Women are used to putting up with fussy clothes if it looks good, men aren't.
Have to disagree FLB, the UK and the Scottish Kilt don't really sell for their "practical" qualities, which they indubitably have.
Their success lies in the perception of machismo they bestow on the wearer but also note this has nothing to do with "skirts".
If you follow the dos and don'ts of the purists, the Kilt has to be one of the fussiest garments a guy can have.
Also if being fussy means looking good then men did that loads in the past, it was just washed out of our brains whether we liked it or not.
While I really don't agree that ancient male garments can be compared to modern skirts and dresses, the richness of the fabrics and designs that these guys could access cannot be denied.
Mind you, they were also a highly privileged and elite minority. Richer than Richie Rich, Scrooge McDuck and Bill Gates all combined.
What will sell?
Damn, if I knew that, I could give at least one of my examples as run for their money.
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:04 pm The woman in the second paragraph "gets it". Men will try it if it's practical (look at the utility kilt for example). Women are used to putting up with fussy clothes if it looks good, men aren't.
Excellent point! Attempt to force a guy to change too much and you’ve lost him.

I’m impressed by these lines that Coder quoted

At this moment, it is a niche market. However, we are keeping a close eye on the category to gauge its scalability and commercial potential,” he added.

And

Federica Montelli, head of fashion at Rinascente in Italy, said that while she might buy more risqué pieces for display purposes, she is counting on tamer options to actually sell.

The last part being critical. Most men are used to drab, boring and not used to flashy clothing. A “tamer option” introduces the idea and once comfortable, it becomes less tame
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Mostly typical far-out-and-funky experiments with surly countenances. Howerver a few fun pieces:
https://wwd.com/wp-content/uploads/2023 ... 23-028.jpg

Something SkirtsDad might wear but would not be thrift shop pricing:
https://assets.vogue.com/photos/63cd2df ... -brand.jpg

Perhaps a transitional garment would make it easier:
url]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2b/12/ab ... a4045b.jpg[/url]
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Finally got to read the article. Thanks for removing the paywall.

There’s some excellent points made by that article. Namely the ending where they state it may be easier to sell a garment that is a skirt detachable skirt over pants than just a skirt because the first combo is still a useful garment when the skirt is detached. To just buy a skirt, they argue is akin to just taking the plunge. Theorizing you get more converts when they can test the waters than just jump in.
Last edited by ScotL on Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

There is one part of the article which stood out:

“You can sell it more in L.A. and in New York, but less in Riyadh and in Dubai. So when it’s not global, it’s difficult to define a commercial success,” he said. “As much as some people are free to use it, some other people are free to think that it is inappropriate for certain circumstances or certain places.”

Chinese consumers are generally more adventurous, and have more available income at a younger age, said Laura Darmon, head of buying and business development at Shanghai-based concept store ENG, which is expanding in China and plans to open a branch in Paris this year."

Gaining traction across the board very important. I would so like to see just a little movement in the general population. For example men wearing a wrap at the beach. I think that would be a massive leap.