Relevance.

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: Relevance.

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:46 pm
I think it's for a different reason, though. I think 10 years ago curiosity would have gotten the better of people - today I think they are afraid of being cancelled, looking like a bigot, or insulting someone. They are told to "accept everyone" and whilst the message has gotten through, it has made interactions soulless. I think there should be a base level of discussion - how else are men going to wake up and realize they can wear what they want? Certainly not by seeing another guy so attired, though I suppose that helps.
That definitely part of it and is one side effect of the “cancel culture” concerns that’s possibly (I underline possibly) working for us. If you were ridiculed every time you went out in a skirt, would you wear one? I would not.

There’s absolutely no way one thing is going to “do it.” But curiosity hasn’t died. I have a feeling random strangers are less likely to openly ridicule or ask but close friends/friends(colleagues we otherwise speak with will speak up. Think about the casual conversations you have every day with them
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Relevance.

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:46 pm Certainly not by seeing another guy so attired, though I suppose that helps.
I reckon that depends on the "other" guy and I don't mean Mr A Lister either.
Many men of a certain age are flock animals and the flock has hierarchy.
If some of the leaders choose not to conform, others will follow and that cannot be denied.
Not so easy for the lesser members though.
Non conformity can bring sanction and ostracism so they just will not take the risk.
There will always be mavericks and lone wolves to challenge the status quo and bring change slowly and sometimes painfully.
Ridicule on a continual basis is bad but men in the not so distant past risked their lives exercising their choices.
What is more there are still many places where it is dangerous for a guy to go openly in a skirt.
Whether taking such risks is plain lunacy or bravery is not for me to judge.
I thank the Gods that it was not me.
Steve.