Why shouldn’t men wear skirts - article

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
steamman

Why shouldn’t men wear skirts - article

Post by steamman »

STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Why shouldn’t men wear skirts - article

Post by STEVIE »

ERRRR, Steamman, I hope you realise that's SkirtyScot and I in the pictures.
Check the Herald thread in get togethers and I hope you liked it too.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

That’s probably the best article I’ve read on MIS. Thanks to Neil, Steve and Alistair for putting their heads above the parapet. Love the outfits too.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

It's a good article (and nice pics, guys), and this new thread seems the best place to discuss it. I tried to bookmark it for myself by sharing it with my Facebook account. I had intended to do this with only me able to view it, but owing to my bafflement with the FB settings, it ended up as a 'story' visible to all my friends. Hey ho, in for a penny, in for a pound, I have now just posted it for friends. So far only one response: it triggered my most terf-wing feminist friend to burble irrelevantly about women's changing rooms.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:09 pm So far only one response: it triggered my most terf-wing feminist friend to burble irrelevantly about women's changing rooms.
I'd like to read her "burble", the relevance is that many folks may actually agree and it has bearing on the attitudes toward men in skirts.
Please tell her that she can relax, I am old enough to be less than comfortable in "female spaces" anyway.
Yeah, this is why we did the article in the first place, to help eradicate ignorance and suspicion like your friend's.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:09 pm So far only one response: it triggered my most terf-wing feminist friend to burble irrelevantly about women's changing rooms.
I wanted to mention something here too - I think terfy women would, well, be fine with guy's wearing skirts as guys. They have to realize a lot of us don't want to use "women's spaces", heck I don't even feel comfortable using men's changing rooms, let alone go into a woman's space. This is obviously different depending on the person and identity, but I think there's room for agreement or at least understanding/kindness.
STEVIE wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:58 pm I'd like to read her "burble", the relevance is that many folks may actually agree and it has bearing on the attitudes toward men in skirts.
Same.
Stevej180

Post by Stevej180 »

Brilliant article, well done guys!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

When it comes down the the question of what "restroom" I use, I simply state, "The men's room. I am, after all, a man!"

There have been some funny exchanges in men's rooms over the years, usually with me responding to a quizzical look with something along the lines of, "Well, here's something you don't usually see -- a guy in a satin ankle-length skirt standing in front of a urinal!" whilst smiling at the same time. It disarms most quite quickly, and laughter frequently ensues.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:16 pm
I wanted to mention something here too - I think terfy women would, well, be fine with guy's wearing skirts as guys. They have to realize a lot of us don't want to use "women's spaces", heck I don't even feel comfortable using men's changing rooms, let alone go into a woman's space. .
Makes me wonder. Who would be more nervous. A guy in the men’s locker room if a trans man walked in or a woman in the women’s locker room if a trans woman walked in. I’m bettin on the latter.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Given the attitude of many men, the trans guy in the men's "space" could very well be putting himself at risk.
Funny thing is, that other than attitude, no one has come up with an answer to the question.
Why shouldn't men wear skirts?
That's the debate, not the whole mess of gender politics which has now arisen.
Have a look at the latest article on Eddie Izzard and we can discuss that aspect there.
Not a reason not to don a skirt but anyone who thinks it's totally irrelevant is quite wrong.
Not Izzard, but the comments are quite pointed.
Many are just damn nasty and infantile too.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:39 amFunny thing is, that other than attitude, no one has come up with an answer to the question.
I've put some force of thoght behind that and have not been able to come up with even one cogent reason why men should not wear skirts -- not so much as a one. It's all down to perceptions, idiocy, and inertia.
That's the debate, not the whole mess of gender politics which has now arisen.
Indeed, and that is also the reason why I've been trying to decouple the two notions all along. They do not belong together, unless the skirt is used as a signifier.

How we use the spoken and written languages is just as important as how we use the "language" of fashion -- perhaps more so.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:39 amFunny thing is, that other than attitude, no one has come up with an answer to the question.
crfriend wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:42 am I've put some force of thoght behind that and have not been able to come up with even one cogent reason why men should not wear skirts -- not so much as a one. It's all down to perceptions, idiocy, and inertia.

Indeed, and that is also the reason why I've been trying to decouple the two notions all along. They do not belong together, unless the skirt is used as a signifier.

How we use the spoken and written languages is just as important as how we use the "language" of fashion -- perhaps more so.
There is no reason shouldn't men wear skirts. It's a contradiction and people are too blind to see it. Our society, all societies, are full of contradictions. We can't say things in case we hurt their feelings. It always seems to be men on the sharp end of it. Don't hurt people's feelings but go to war, for example.
It's important to stay positive and head in the direction you want to go. Have an objective and relentlessly head towards it, you will get there. If you believe you won't succeed, then you won't.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:39 am Funny thing is, that other than attitude, no one has come up with an answer to the question.
That's because there is no answer. There is no logical reason for anyone to not wear a skirt if they choose. Men, women, or otherwise.

Nice article.

There will always be prejudice and people that don't understand, but that rule applies no matter what you're doing.

There is a catch phrase that seems to have caught on here in the states, and it seems to transcend across all cultures, special interest, and political mindsets (for the most part), and that phrase is:

"You do You".

I like it.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:53 am"You do You".

I like it.
Except that it doesn't work.