West Virginia joins in (this one may actually effect us)

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

West Virginia joins in (this one may actually effect us)

Post by moonshadow »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA186OWx

Not to be outdone, West Virginia (another red state) has joined in on the authoritarian fun...

I'm starting to feel these laws nipping on our heels a little....
wva_drag_bill.jpg
I estimate that by the end of the decade, each and every state with a solid Republican legislature will have complete bans on any male not abiding by his assigned dress code as ordered by the STATE, and don't expect the Taliban in the SCOTUS to come to your rescue.

Virginia will probably throw its hat in the ring next.

Soon I'll have to make a choice, stop wearing skirts, ESPECIALLY the feminine ones, leave for the west coast and NEVER COME BACK, or get ARRESTED.

Land of the "free" indeed.

To the "conservative voters" on this forum... this is what you voted for, and this is what you got. Kentucky, Utah, Montana, Oklahoma are also in the process of passing similar legislation.

Edit, so is Texas apparently. You know what... pretty much every red state I'm sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Pleats

Re: West Virginia joins in (this one may actually effect us)

Post by Pleats »

This won't have any effect on a guy wearing a skirt as a man. Reading the wording of the bill:

"It's a criminal offense for a person to engage in an adult cabaret performance on public property or in a location where the adult cabaret performance could be viewed by a person who is a minor. Adult cabaret performance means a performance in a location other than an adult cabaret that features topless dancers, go-go dancer, strippers, male or female impersonators who provide entertainment that appeals to the prurient interest or similar entertainers, regardless of whether or not performed for consideration."

If I go out to dinner wearing a skirt I am in no way part of an adult cabaret performance. If I am arrested it would get thrown out in court as it would be sexual discrimination trying to charge me for wearing a skirt.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Pleats wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:07 am If I go out to dinner wearing a skirt I am in no way part of an adult cabaret performance. If I am arrested it would get thrown out in court as it would be sexual discrimination trying to charge me for wearing a skirt.
Mmkay... keep thinking that. You are indeed safe... for now. But you see the intent with your own eyes in the screens shot above.

Today: drag queens
Tomorrow: Trans-women
Next week: YOU.

There is no precedent for the 14th amendment to cover sex discrimination, and technically the 1st amendment could be interpreted to not apply. It really only protects religious freedom, freedom of assembly, freedom of the press, and freedom to complain to the government.

Many legal scholars interpret the 1A to include freedom of expression, but that is a LIBERAL interpretation and likely WON'T be upheld by a conservative court. If you don't believe me, anti-crossdressing laws existed for a long time in this country, some only ending as recently as the 1980s. It can be done, it has been done, and we're heading in that direction today.

They're just testing the waters right now pleats....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Pleats wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:07 am , male or female impersonators who provide entertainment that appeals to the prurient interest or similar entertainers, regardless of whether or not performed for consideration."
So you're okay as long as nobody thinks you're sexy.

That's literally what the text means. If someone gets turned on because you walked into the room, you have provided "entertainment that appeals to the prurient interest".
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:38 amSo you're okay as long as nobody thinks you're sexy.
What happens if the woman you're with happens to think you're sexy as all get-out?

The problems with laws like this is how they're interpreted -- by accusers, the cops, and the courts. As far as trying an "anti-discrimination" defence, it's worth bearing in mind that it is impossible to discriminate against a straight white male in the USA. All others than that class have protections.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:32 pm As far as trying an "anti-discrimination" defence, it's worth bearing in mind that it is impossible to discriminate against a straight white male in the USA
You mean "straight white [normal] male in the USA.

You are a straight white male.... who wears some very eccentric skirts and outfits. You're about as "minority" as it gets Carl. :wink:

See my comment on the Tennessee thread for my thoughts on why I believe we need to align ourselves with other "minority" groups. Not because people here necessarily subscribe to any of the views, but because we are ALL humans and deserve to be FREE.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:40 pmYou mean "straight white [normal] male in the USA.

You are a straight white male.... who wears some very eccentric skirts and outfits. You're about as "minority" as it gets Carl. :wink:
And a human being with precisely no status nor purchase in the modern legal framework. In other words -- wide open. All other classes already have protection, they don't need any more. Even better, why don't we level the playing field and give everyone the same legal standing?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

How would law enforcement know that I am a male in a skirt? Will they need to check my genitals? And is a search warrant required?
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Brad wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:58 pm How would law enforcement know that I am a male in a skirt? Will they need to check my genitals? And is a search warrant required?
You raise a good point. However, I suspect it will be arrests first and you are left to prove your innocence. We may very well soon find our selves in the position that women were once in when they were banned from wearing trousers. Life always seems to have a turn-about with things of this nature.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

It probably will take arrests. Sadly.

But I also like to think of the fact as a cis hetero male who happens to wear skirts and otherwise look masculine, I could create indecision on behalf of the law enforcement folks.

Am I a man wearing women’s clothing? It’s a kilt right?

Am I dressing as a Woman? Or am I dressing as a man who’s just wearing a skirt. Like the rest of the world.

Do we not exist then to just create trouble with just such myopic laws.