National Skirt Day

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: National Skirt Day

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:40 pm
In my experience, the busier the place, the more invisible you can feel, FWIW. If you're in an empty departure lounge and wearing something different then people are more likely to focus their attention on you.

I got an email from SkirtSports.com about a 5K run on March 8th for Women's Day and they wanted women to participate virtually and tag them with photos. I kinda wanted to reply back with something about having MIS participating too and they should try to be more inclusive. :lol:
Agreed. I’m debating it still but I think I’ll likely return on National Skirt Day in a linen shirt, linen kilt, white socks scrunched down to the top of black boots. Top and shoes are pretty masculine and the kilt is actually kinda masculine too. Gotta fly through Texas though…

Did skirtsports.com direct the email directly to you or just marketing in general?
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

rivegauche wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:59 pm [...]
The only other realistic candidate - a Moslem - has been accused (probably unjustifiably) of dodging the vote on gay marriage.
https://www.thepinknews.com/2023/03/03/humza-yousaf-lgbtq-rights-snp/
The Scottish health secretary, running to succeed Nicola Sturgeon as leader and first minister, vowed to fight for LGBTQ+ rights both in the “confines of devolution” and, if he gets his way, as leader of an independent nation.
“If I’m elected… you can be absolutely sure that you’ll have a leader who will not just protect your rights, will not just defend your rights, but will absolutely advance them in a progressively, socially just Scotland,” he told PinkNews.
“I would hope that will be as an independent nation sooner rather than later. But even within the confines of devolution, I will protect those rights as best I possibly can.”
Yousaf, the MSP for Glasgow Pollok, also said that he would embed equal rights in a written Scottish constitution.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

rode_kater wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:49 pm
This issue irritates me. Yes, you should have the right to change the letter in your passport, fine. But what on earth does this have to do with which prison you get sent to? If the law said that the letter in your passport is the sole determinant of which prison you go to, then that law is wrong. (And if it wasn't then you have to wonder if it was done deliberately to make a scene.) If there was any doubt, they could have just isolated the prisoner completely.
That is exactly what they did. The prisoner was held away from all the other inmates whilst the case was considered. It just happens that this was within the grounds of a women's prison, so the press made it sound as though a rapist was being housed with women - he wasn't. I suspect the prison authorities were too stupid and tied up in inappropriate rules (or inappropriate interpretation of the rules) to not realise what the press would make of it
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

It will be just another day in a skirt for me but I have used it as a reason to buy some new mini skirts ....... gee, I hope they arrive in time.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

pelmut wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:38 am That is exactly what they did. The prisoner was held away from all the other inmates whilst the case was considered. It just happens that this was within the grounds of a women's prison, so the press made it sound as though a rapist was being housed with women - he wasn't. I suspect the prison authorities were too stupid and tied up in inappropriate rules (or inappropriate interpretation of the rules) to not realise what the press would make of it
Ok, thank you for the clarification. That actually sounds quite sensible.

And frankly, I'd prefer people were able to do their jobs without having to wonder the whole time how the press is going to misinterpret it.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

rode_kater wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:47 pm And frankly, I'd prefer people were able to do their jobs without having to wonder the whole time how the press is going to misinterpret it.
Ha ha. Having worked in the public sector you take it as read that the press will misinterpret what you say/do/don't do. And that is before you even consider the ones who make the stuff up. Fortunately there are some good journalists out there too. And there are limits, which is why the News of the World no longer exists.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I did my part today, wore a skirt to work. Saw ZERO other people in skirts.

(granted, it was cold, windy, snowy out - got 4-6" overnight)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Drat! National Skirt Day and I wore my satin palazzos [0]. Go figure. However, I did have a skirt on yesterday, and likely will in the morrow, so that may make up for some of it.

[0] With ruffled petti-pants underneath no less to fill them out a bit.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

I had my skirt on today
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Me too, CT scan and all.
Then back at work by lunchtime.
Feel it could be a dress day today, decisions decisions!
Steve.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

FLbreezy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:40 pm
In my experience, the busier the place, the more invisible you can feel, FWIW. If you're in an empty departure lounge and wearing something different then people are more likely to focus their attention on you.
I experienced this yesterday. I was driving all day, skirted of course, and stopped at a roadhouse for coffee and sandwiches. Coffee was quick but the sandwiches took 15 minutes. I just sat there alone watching customers come and go. Although it was a relief to get out of there it is good to know I can do it.