Men In Skirts - TEDx talk

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men In Skirts - TEDx talk

Post by rivegauche »

Stevej180 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:19 am I loved this talk, it sums things up perfectly for me.

I'm lucky, my wife is very accepting and will happily go out with me skirted (except not for seeing her family!). But I have thought about this and come to the conclusion that it's about others' judgement. If I go out skirted I'm well aware that I will attract a lot of attention and stares - that's just how society is. I can imagine a wife (or any companion) being uncomfortable with that and - by association - being judged themselves. But my wife is very confortable in her own skin and not worried about the judgement of others, so maybe that's key.
Maybe Scotland is just that bit more laid back than Norfolk. I have had very few reactions to my skirts, and all but one of these was positive. I have also observed reactions to occasional sightings of other guys in skirts and there wasn't any. I am not claiming that eyebrows will not be raised out there in the streets but there is a LOT less reaction than you would think. I have gone shopping in Princes Street in Edinburgh encountering thousands of people and reaction was zero (or at least my perception of it was). For the most part people are just too busy getting on with their own lives. That probably doesn't include the layabouts on street corners who reckon they have the right to comment on all passers by - not just men in skirts. Unshaved men in stained clothes with their stomachs hanging over their belts, make comments about the desirability of passing women, and we would be a gift to them - if we allow the comments of such people to matter to us (or anyone else). For the record the only negative reaction was fairly amusing for me. I was wearing a male shirt, a skirt, and a scarf tied like a bandana on my head. A women putting the advertising boards for her shop away at closing time looked me up and down scathingly, shaking her head. She didn't say anything. This was in Auchterarder, a town I have often visited skirted. I was told this woman did not single me out - she was rude to everyone - and her shop has closed.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Stevej180 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:19 am But my wife is very confortable in her own skin and not worried about the judgement of others, so maybe that's key.
Hi Steve J
It is more than key, it is pretty much essential if you really wish to wear a skirt in public.
Your attire may raise no comment or overt reaction but it will be noticed.
What's more Rivegauche's "layabouts'" comments may be more representative than one imagines.
These people live on the fringes of society with often highly dysfunctional lives.
How they came to such is as varied and often tragic as the human condition allows.
They are not bound by our "codes" and will simply state what they think without consideration.
I work with many people like that and my own opinion is that their "views" are no better or worse than those held in polite society.
They just say them out loud and they also know they are being judged and don't care either.
Steve.
A sense of humour and a ready smile goes a hell of a long way too.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

I don’t find I get a lot of stares or obvious disapproval. While I’ve had the odd sideways glance and a snigger or two, most people either take no notice at all or are more friendly.

The fear of others’ reaction is largely in our own heads. It is something we have to overcome at the outset but gets easier with each outing. The trick is to behave normally and resist the temptation to skulk about or keep a special look out for people’s reaction.

Be bold.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Midas wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:51 amThe fear of others’ reaction is largely in our own heads. It is something we have to overcome
at the outset but gets easier with each outing. The trick is to behave normally and resist the
temptation to skulk about or keep a special look out for people’s reaction.

Be bold.
EXACTLY!

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)