JuJu Smith-Schuster Brings an Epic Skirt to the Super Bowl

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
gender free universe

JuJu Smith-Schuster Brings an Epic Skirt to the Super Bowl

Post by gender free universe »

Vogue: https://www.vogue.com/article/juju-smit ... super-bowl

By Christian Allaire
February 12, 2023

... JuJu Smith-Schuster, a wide receiver for the Kansas City Chiefs, delivered an especially strong outfit—by bringing an epic skirt to the Super Bowl ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: JuJu Smith-Schuster Brings an Epic Skirt to the Super Bowl

Post by crfriend »

There was another one who spent some time in the green-room with the talking heads who had a white jacket on and what looked like a silk camisole underneath. I didn't catch the name.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Good to see a celebrity in a skirted outfit that looks wearable! This was a great look, and one I think real guys could emulate with success.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

“This **** not for everybody,” the athlete wrote on his Instagram Stories.

Not sure how to interpret this. Don’t know if he gets paid by Brown to wear it and this is his reaction. First time I put on a skirt, I was shocked by how freeing it was. Was unsettling but awesome at first. Now it’s just awesome. Or is he challenging others as in “not everyone has the courage to step out so clad?”

“It’s a growing trend to see athletes embrace the skirt”

Athletic tights on guys used to be the domain only of weirdly crazy into running male runners. Then the NBA started wearing them under shorts now I see men who are not athletic at all wearing them under shorts. There’s not much more affirming of your masculininity than playing in the NFL. The modern day coliseums of men brutally attacking and hurting each other for sport. So perhaps, could this and Westbrook last year start to show men that “it’s ok” to wear a skirt?

And it’s nice that they called it a skirt.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

Wow, no big surprise but after reading the endless negative and toxic comments, MIS has a long way to go to gain acceptance and approval from society. ☹️
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Offkilter69 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:18 pm Wow, no big surprise but after reading the endless negative and toxic comments, MIS has a long way to go to gain acceptance and approval from society. ☹️
Remember - what you read online are people who are essentially anonymous - do you think half of them would say what they say to someone’s face?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:01 pm “This **** not for everybody,” the athlete wrote on his Instagram Stories.

Not sure how to interpret this. Don’t know if he gets paid by Brown to wear it and this is his reaction.
My suspicion is that it was an act of bravado to set him apart from the vast herd of lemmings. And he's right: it's not for everybody. The bald fact is that if you're going to wear anything other than the uniform you are going to get your motives questioned, and lots of people cannot deal with that on top of all the other pressures that they're laboured with. Thus, the same dreadful sameness is perpetuated.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

Coder wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:34 pm
Offkilter69 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:18 pm Wow, no big surprise but after reading the endless negative and toxic comments, MIS has a long way to go to gain acceptance and approval from society. ☹️
Remember - what you read online are people who are essentially anonymous - do you think half of them would say what they say to someone’s face?
That doesn’t really matter in the quest for acceptance and promotion of skirts for non celebrity men. The fact that negative mindset is so ingrained in people is disheartening. Yes, we can continue to be ourselves and wear whatever we please in most situations, but until the “de-masculinization of men” mindset is lessened, skirts for men will never be mainstream. I think that is the pipe dream for most of us on this forum.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Offkilter69 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:44 pm The fact that negative mindset is so ingrained in people is disheartening.
Well... is it? Or does the anonymous nature of online discourse let people be extra mean? Maybe even more mean than they would be in real life?

I'm not trying to sugarcoat things, but I want to believe people have some core of good in them, though give me 5 minutes reading the news/reddit and I'll forget I ever had that sentiment.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:17 pm[...] I want to believe people have some core of good in them, though give me 5 minutes reading the news/reddit and I'll forget I ever had that sentiment.
The sentiment had value and worth 50 years ago, but not in the modern era. Sorry.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

That is a nice skirt!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Good comments.... bad comments... the more people talk, the more the price goes up!

They know this.. :wink:

There's no such thing as bad press when you're making headlines.

Reminds me of an old favorite Wiccan author I enjoy... regarding "haters" buying his books just to burn them...

"I hope they clean the shelves every week... burn them all, for the more they burn, the more I sell..."
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

Offkilter69 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:44 pm
That doesn’t really matter in the quest for acceptance and promotion of skirts for non celebrity men. The fact that negative mindset is so ingrained in people is disheartening. Yes, we can continue to be ourselves and wear whatever we please in most situations, but until the “de-masculinization of men” mindset is lessened, skirts for men will never be mainstream. I think that is the pipe dream for most of us on this forum.
Coder wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:17 pm Well... is it? Or does the anonymous nature of online discourse let people be extra mean? Maybe even more mean than they would be in real life?

I'm not trying to sugarcoat things, but I want to believe people have some core of good in them, though give me 5 minutes reading the news/reddit and I'll forget I ever had that sentiment.
I hardly think it matters if the anonymity is taken into consideration. People can, and typically are, vocal about how they feel, regardless if it's face-to-face, or via a screen. That hadn't changed when the internet became the norm; it just revealed just how s****y the average person was when they weren't in the gazes of other jackasses of similar conduct.

The news is a bunch of sensationalist tripe; Reddit is a trash heap (for the most part, at least). You shouldn't even be looking at that those sources to find any "good" in people. Let's not overlook the praise Juju received from wearing that skirt to the Super Bowl that Sunday, because there are plenty of approval to go around. Don't expect me to be positive from here on out, because I still hold misanthropic views about mankind, and the cosmos would be doing the world a favor by removing this cancerous embarrassment of a species off the map completely. I'm just pointing out that there's people out there who aren't stupid about MiS, and rightfully think it's only fair that men should be allowed to wear skirts, as women are allowed to wear pretty much anything without much of a spat about it.
crfriend wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:57 pm
Coder wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:17 pm[...] I want to believe people have some core of good in them, though give me 5 minutes reading the news/reddit and I'll forget I ever had that sentiment.
The sentiment had value and worth 50 years ago, but not in the modern era. Sorry.
I'm not sure if it did even back in those days, either. Or ever, really. People were still horrible to each other, back then, and not conforming to societal standards was even more of a risk. People were more racist, sexist, bigoted, and opposed to different ideologies; people are more tolerant in contemporary times than they've ever been before by comparison.
Last edited by TSH on Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

TSH wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:43 am Reddit is a trash heap (for the most part, at least).
I kinda disagree. First thing to do with Reddit is unsubscribe from all the default reddits, they're terrible. Then subscribe only to those you find actually interesting. Many of the smaller reddits aimed at specific hobbies are full of very nice people. If you subscribe to /r/feedmethehate, well, you did kinda of ask for it.

The internet is what you make it. Nobody forces you to read the Daily Fail.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:17 pm
Well... is it? Or does the anonymous nature of online discourse let people be extra mean? Maybe even more mean than they would be in real life?

I do believe people do have good cores cause I see it in my job. The gangbangers, drug addicts, estranged crazy uncles. When you get to know them as I do after they’ve been hurt, their shields are down (to reference some Star Wars) and you do see their humanity.

Asking people who post on NFL articles and use anonymous monikers that reference machismo names characteristically incorporating the number 69 to admit their real feelings about a guy wearing a skirt is a lesson in futility. Their shields are so far up that even in anonymity they can’t admit to anything that doesn’t rigidly adhere to being a “manly man.”

I wouldn’t heed any importance to their comments. Nor do I think they really reflect their real selves.