Vogue: Men, Skirts Aren’t That Scary—Promise!

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Vogue: Men, Skirts Aren’t That Scary—Promise!

Post by Grok »

My first foray in public was in a Utilikilt-the Mocker variant. I also converted a pair of mens jeans into a skirt. (I no longer wear either as they have shrunk in width, along with half the clothes in my closet).

Kilting may perhaps the easiest option for a gateway garment. These garments have wide recognition as mens wear.

Denim has a few advantages for a newbie. Besides being invisible, men are used to wearing denim. Denim seems more masculine than other fabrics. And there is the option of converting mens jeans. Given these advantages, I suspect that denim will be the next thing to gain traction.

Please keep in mind that we are talking about gateway garments. After a man gains confidence he may become bolder in his experimentation.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

Grok wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:06 pm My first foray in public was in a Utilikilt-the Mocker variant. I also converted a pair of mens jeans into a skirt. (I no longer wear either as they have shrunk in width, along with half the clothes in my closet).

Kilting may perhaps the easiest option for a gateway garment. These garments have wide recognition as mens wear.

Denim has a few advantages for a newbie. Besides being invisible, men are used to wearing denim. Denim seems more masculine than other fabrics. And there is the option of converting mens jeans. Given these advantages, I suspect that denim will be the next thing to gain traction.

Please keep in mind that we are talking about gateway garments. After a man gains confidence he may become bolder in his experimentation.
This is my exact approach to hopefully transitioning to skirts or at least adding them to the kilt rotation. I’ve worn kilts to just about everywhere. I can’t say that I still don’t have some apprehension at times, but it is fairly minimal. My SO is accepting even though it may not be her favorite look for me. I would not have expected that acceptance from her five years ago when I bought my first kilt. My teenage daughters are not thrilled with the kilts but are fairly accepting as long as I don’t wear them around their friends. I tell them it’s character building- for them and me!

Skirts will likely meet more resistance on the home front, but I’m hoping that when I do make that leap, denim skirts or cargo skirts will be less of a jump from kilts and therefore more likely to be accepted or at least tolerated🤞. I’ve always admired denim skirts on women and find them comfortable to wear myself, but for now my collection remains in the dark recesses of my closet.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Offkilter69 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:10 am
Skirts will likely meet more resistance on the home front, but I’m hoping that when I do make that leap, denim skirts or cargo skirts will be less of a jump from kilts and therefore more likely to be accepted or at least tolerated🤞. I’ve always admired denim skirts on women and find them comfortable to wear myself, but for now my collection remains in the dark recesses of my closet.
Good luck! :D
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

Grok wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:34 am
Offkilter69 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:10 am
Good luck! :D
Thanks!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Denim skirts may have a place as a gateway garment. Sort of like training wheels for a bicycle.

My own experience...I don't care for them. I converted an old pair of jeans into a skirt, which was my only creation that I ever wore out and about.

Trying the converted garment, I immediately noticed the harsh fabric on my skin.

One advantage of jeans is that the sturdy fabric offers all around protection for your skin, an advantage that is largely negated by a skirt design.

BTW, not only are converted jeans ugly, so are purpose designed denim skirts.

Conclusion-other than that modest training wheel role, denim skirts are a dead end.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Grok wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:42 pmTrying the converted garment, I immediately noticed the harsh fabric on my skin.
I am right there with you, sir. For me it's all about the soft fabrics - everything I wear is nylon, satin, velvet, or at least a soft poly/cotton jersey. Even if I have a slip or something between me and the skirt, the harsh texture still bothers my hands. I can't remember if I posted here about my revelation last week that it's common for people on the autism spectrum to have a tactile sensitivity, and I started wondering if that is what steers me towards the ultra-feminine "girly" styles that are made with softer fabrics and gentler touch (wide, loose skirts) than more contemporary or rugged clothing.

I always felt like, if I wanted to wear denim I'd just wear the trousers because a denim skirt isn't any kind of improvement.
Ralph!