He skirt

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
maninafrock

He skirt

Post by maninafrock »

Came across this on the internet - don't know if it's been posted before.

https://awkward.com/revisiting-the-1960 ... ion-trend/

(1st time trying to insert a link so you might have to tap in full address)
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: He skirt

Post by Coder »

Gotta add that name to my one thread...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Is this real? I mean the article is interesting and everything, but I'm not finding a lot of Google results for this company. Every article on this company seems to be referring to stuff found here:

https://www.lileks.com/institute/dorcus/

If you read through the site, the individual pages don't add up - the "quotes" seem made up, especially for the time, and I'm skeptical af about the images presented.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

If you go to the index page:

https://www.lileks.com/institute/
What is it, exactly? In the beginning of lileks.com, when the various areas of the site were coalescing into their eventual shape and finding their proper orbit, it was the place where I put “vintage” things and had sport with the outmoded images and attitudes.
Again - @maninafrock - that article you lined to was a nice commentary, but it's hilarious how it other sites are referring to this company as if it were real. At this point someone needs to prove to me it is real.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:50 pmAt this point someone needs to prove to me it is real.
It may have been real, but perhaps has long since gone defunct and been forgotten. The Internet does not have a perfect memory.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
maninafrock

Post by maninafrock »

Another site with same pics but had to laugh at the intro on this one......

"This was a brief fashion in the mid ’60s. An internal memoranda of Dorcus He-Skirts - which did not make it to the market - says “hire only men with large, hairy, developed legs, because in all probability they will be frequently chased by men wielding bats and clubs; models must be able to outrun their critics.”

https://www.vintag.es/2018/05/60s-mini- ... r-men.html
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

maninafrock wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:57 pm"This was a brief fashion in the mid ’60s. An internal memoranda of Dorcus He-Skirts - which did not make it to the market - says “hire only men with large, hairy, developed legs, because in all probability they will be frequently chased by men wielding bats and clubs; models must be able to outrun their critics.”
Or, alternately, be able to stare them down or best them in a melee. One need not run away.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

maninafrock wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:57 pm Another site with same pics but had to laugh at the intro on this one......

"This was a brief fashion in the mid ’60s. An internal memoranda of Dorcus He-Skirts - which did not make it to the market - says “hire only men with large, hairy, developed legs, because in all probability they will be frequently chased by men wielding bats and clubs; models must be able to outrun their critics.”

https://www.vintag.es/2018/05/60s-mini- ... r-men.html
But they all refer back to the lileks site.
crfriend wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:59 pm It may have been real, but perhaps has long since gone defunct and been forgotten. The Internet does not have a perfect memory.
The internet isn't perfect, but there are no references on the lileks site, the quotes read like satire (I couldn't locate a book with a ridiculous title), and with such revolutionary claims, I'd expect at least one sentence saying where the information was sourced.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:17 pmI'd expect at least one sentence saying where the information was sourced.
Humans are messy creatures, and we tend to forget things from history -- even recent history. I recall thanking a speaker at a USENIX conference in the 2020s for "closing a loop" in history. "Thanks for closing that loop. It's nice to see that we're back to using pagers to increase the amount of real memory compared to virtual memory." She was blathering on about Intel's latest technology breakthrough, "PAX", and had never ever heard of the BBN pager for the DEC PDP-1 in the very early '60s. She had precisely no clue whatever of what I was referring to, and, worse, no reference points.

Expect holes in history. They happen.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I contacted the author - he replied - "it is satire".