US Weekly: Robert Pattinson Turns Heads in a Sparkly Skirt and Calf Boots at Dior Fashion Show: Pics

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

US Weekly: Robert Pattinson Turns Heads in a Sparkly Skirt and Calf Boots at Dior Fashion Show: Pics

Post by Coder »

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rob ... 51742.html
The Twilight actor, 36, had all eyes on him as he arrived to the Paris Fashion Week event on Friday, January 20, in a blue sequin kilt. The glitzy piece featured a tea-length construction and subtle pleats. Pattinson paired the look with knee-high socks and a pair of black leather boots. The Tenet star completed the outfit with a caramel-colored fur jacket that he wore zipped up.
There are a few articles on him showing up like this, this was just the first free article with a clear photo of the skirt.

It's funny - all the headlines call it a skirt, but most of them use the word "kilt" in the copy. I'll leave it up to "the reader" to decide what they think it is... I'm going to go with skirt.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: US Weekly: Robert Pattinson Turns Heads in a Sparkly Skirt and Calf Boots at Dior Fashion Show: Pics

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:02 am https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rob ... 51742.html
The Twilight actor, 36, had all eyes on him as he arrived to the Paris Fashion Week event on Friday, January 20, in a blue sequin kilt. The glitzy piece featured a tea-length construction and subtle pleats. Pattinson paired the look with knee-high socks and a pair of black leather boots. The Tenet star completed the outfit with a caramel-colored fur jacket that he wore zipped up.
There are a few articles on him showing up like this, this was just the first free article with a clear photo of the skirt.

It's funny - all the headlines call it a skirt, but most of them use the word "kilt" in the copy. I'll leave it up to "the reader" to decide what they think it is... I'm going to go with skirt.
Wow, so that is a sparky kilt, er skirt….

Reading the article it mentioned a few people I knew had stepped out in a skirt, er kilt…. Like Brad Pitt. Oscar Isaac. VIN diesel. Pete Davidson.

But David Hasselhoff was a new one.

https://www.scotlandshop.com/tartanblog ... n-his-kilt

Seems not everyone’s in favor of his look and not because of the kilt, er skirt…. Seems the boots/sock combo may not be a winner.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rob ... 05642.html

But still, I think it’s great press. One more person stepping out into the limelight wearing a skirt. Or a kilt. Whichever….
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: US Weekly: Robert Pattinson Turns Heads in a Sparkly Skirt and Calf Boots at Dior Fashion Show: Pics

Post by Coder »

ScotL wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:20 am Seems not everyone’s in favor of his look and not because of the kilt, er skirt…. Seems the boots/sock combo may not be a winner.

But still, I think it’s great press. One more person stepping out into the limelight wearing a skirt. Or a kilt. Whichever….
I thought the boot/sock combo looked kind of weird. They keep writing rubber boots… but I think the boots are leather? In any case, the skirt is nice, but I’m unsure about the rest of it. It feels like the jacket - besides being ugly - is too loud for the skirt.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:38 am
ScotL wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:20 am Seems not everyone’s in favor of his look and not because of the kilt, er skirt…. Seems the boots/sock combo may not be a winner.

I thought the boot/sock combo looked kind of weird. They keep writing rubber boots… but I think the boots are leather? In any case, the skirt is nice, but I’m unsure about the rest of it. It feels like the jacket - besides being ugly - is too loud for the skirt.
I saw someone ask why he dressed like a Romanian grandmother.

Agreed, the boots don’t seem rubber to me either, but still look just not right with the ensemble. But the leg and footwear is tricky for guys in skirts I feel. I don’t like boots. Or rather, I kinda dislike them. But they do seem to fit that “bloke in a skirt.” Needs to find something that is similarly nice as a skirt, er kilt….

Don’t love the top neither.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Here’s a slightly more positive article, and optimistic about MIS in general:

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/fashion/a ... -dior-2023

Until you start seeing “random” guys showing up to events, parties, and just on the street in skirts, I will just file this under celebrity attention-seeking, although that isn’t a nice way to frame it.
steamman

Post by steamman »

The boots are wrong. If you are going to wear knee high boots, heels are the way to go. That’s an easy lesson that can be learned from the ladies.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Coder wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:36 am Until you start seeing “random” guys showing up to events, parties, and just on the street in skirts, I will just file this under celebrity attention-seeking, although that isn’t a nice way to frame it.
Would you consider yourself a "random guy showing up to an event in a skirt"? :wink:

We're making the difference now, even if we don't feel it.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

rode_kater wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:36 am
Coder wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:36 am Until you start seeing “random” guys showing up to events, parties, and just on the street in skirts, I will just file this under celebrity attention-seeking, although that isn’t a nice way to frame it.
Would you consider yourself a "random guy showing up to an event in a skirt"? :wink:

LOL, you read between the lines there. I certainly would not say my one (well, multiple now) time wearing one to a gathering will make a difference, but who knows.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

rode_kater wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:36 am

Chaos theory says we might be the butterflies causing a future skirt tornado. :D
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

FLbreezy wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:06 pm Chaos theory says we might be the butterflies causing a future skirt tornado.
Don't get in a twister but follow the yellow brick road if you have to call that a kilt.
The number of male celebrities donning skirts for column inches versus the number of men like us, I wonder?
The amount of run of the mill guys who are repelled from, or moved to, trying a skirt by either category, I wonder?
Personally, I wouldn't like to bet on the outcome, probably cause a storm in a teacup.
I seriously reckon that it will be our Grand Children who will likely see the skirted revolution for men, anything sooner would be a bonus.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:43 pm The number of male celebrities donning skirts for column inches versus the number of men like us, I wonder?
The amount of run of the mill guys who are repelled from, or moved to, trying a skirt by either category, I wonder?
Personally, I wouldn't like to bet on the outcome, probably cause a storm in a teacup.
I seriously reckon that it will be our Grand Children who will likely see the skirted revolution for men, anything sooner would be a bonus.
Steve.
There certainly has been an uptick, but if you go by the number of members here and also on reddit, I think we safely have celebrities outnumbered... for now. They may have an oversized influence over culture, but I have yet to see another skirted man in my neck of the woods outside of big events like an art fair, so it goes to reason they haven't yet reached the average joe. I think I give the guys at the UPS store something to talk about, and possibly brighten their lunch where they speculate on when "that skirted guy" will drop something off. I hate to be the oddball customer everyone recognizes, but I'd rather be that than the irate customer who scars them for life.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

What celebs wear is always news - that's why they pay their publicists and stylists so much money. I look forward to the time when the headlines are about the actual style instead of "Man wears SKIRT!!!!". Meanwhile the rest of us ordinary guys lead by example, not seeking headlines, just making a man in a skirt something you see every day.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

As has been said many times, any “heartthrob” celebrity stepping out in a skirt helps the MIS cause, but until skirts appear in the mens department of regular stores, the needle won’t be budging much to really change the perception and acceptance of skirts as mens attire. The phrase “getting in touch with their feminine side” has got to go when media write about masculine men wearing skirts. It only perpetuates the gendering of clothing. I get really annoyed by the sexism voiced by women about men wearing skirts. Double standards abound in regard to this. The “rules” for men are much more confining for men than women. Women gaining the acceptance of wearing pants didn’t make them masculine. The same principle should apply to men wearing skirts. The difference is that most women wanted to be able to wear pants if they chose to do so, while most men either do not want to wear skirts, are afraid to wear skirts, or do not know they would like wearing skirts. Until that stigma is gone, changing social acceptance of MIS will remain an uphill climb. We’re the slow difference makers, whether it’s incorporating kilts (me) or skirts (wannabe me) into our everyday attire and going about our lives.

My take on the latest Batman’s skirt look: the tweed (not sequined) skirt and boots are okay, but the fur coat should be substituted with a black leather jacket.
Last edited by Offkilter69 on Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Offkilter69 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:14 pm As has been said many times, any “heartthrob” celebrity stepping out in a skirt helps the MIS cause, but until skirts appear in the mens department of regular stores, the needle won’t be budging much to really change the perception and acceptance of skirts as mens attire. The phrase “getting in touch with their feminine side” has got to go when media write about masculine men wearing skirts. It only perpetuates the gendering of clothing. I get really get annoyed by the sexism voiced by women about men wearing skirts. Double standards abound in regard to this. The “rules” for men are much more confining for men than women. Women gaining the acceptance of wearing pants didn’t make them masculine. The same principle should apply to men wearing skirts. The difference is that most women wanted to be able to wear pants if they chose to do so, while most men either do not want to wear skirts, are afraid to wear skirts, or do not know they would like wearing skirts. Until that stigma is gone, changing social acceptance of MIS will remain an uphill climb. We’re the slow difference makers, whether it’s incorporating kilts (me) or skirts (wannabe me) into our everyday attire and going about our lives.

My take on the latest Batman’s skirt look: the tweed (not sequined) skirt and boots are okay, but the fur coat should be substituted with a black leather jacket.
Well said!
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

Offkilter69 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:14 pm As has been said many times, any “heartthrob” celebrity stepping out in a skirt helps the MIS cause, but until skirts appear in the mens department of regular stores, the needle won’t be budging much to really change the perception and acceptance of skirts as mens attire. The phrase “getting in touch with their feminine side” has got to go when media write about masculine men wearing skirts. It only perpetuates the gendering of clothing. I get really annoyed by the sexism voiced by women about men wearing skirts. Double standards abound in regard to this. The “rules” for men are much more confining for men than women. Women gaining the acceptance of wearing pants didn’t make them masculine. The same principle should apply to men wearing skirts. The difference is that most women wanted to be able to wear pants if they chose to do so, while most men either do not want to wear skirts, are afraid to wear skirts, or do not know they would like wearing skirts. Until that stigma is gone, changing social acceptance of MIS will remain an uphill climb. We’re the slow difference makers, whether it’s incorporating kilts (me) or skirts (wannabe me) into our everyday attire and going about our lives.