Sir Grayson Perry

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Sir Grayson Perry

Post by rivegauche »

I don't really go for all the hullabaloo about UK Honours but sometimes the recipients are interesting. Those outside the UK may need to be informed that Grayson Perry is - in his own words - a transvestite potter. As well as his works of art, he is also a broadcaster, making some very fine documentaries. He often appears in public (and on screen) as his 'alter ego' Claire, wearing dresses that few of us would wish to wear in private, let alone in public. He was knighted in the king's New Year's Honours list. I suspect that there do not yet exist protocols for allowing him (he does not identify as Claire) to use the title Dame Claire Perry when he is in his dress. He already has an OBE or MBE. When he received it from the Queen at Buckingham Palace, he attended with his wife, and he was wearing a navy skirt suit and matching hat, really a sort of mother of the bride outfit. It will be interesting to see what he wears to be knighted. Grayson is well liked in the UK and is almost a National Treasure.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sir Grayson Perry

Post by rode_kater »

I somehow doubt there are hard rules about this. They've been knighted, so they get to use the titles. The actual use of the title is driven by custom not law so can be fluid as the situation requires.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

rode_kater wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:49 pm I somehow doubt there are hard rules about this. They've been knighted, so they get to use the titles. The actual use of the title is driven by custom not law so can be fluid as the situation requires.
Custom in this kind of area can be pretty rigid. When George Brown became a peer, he wanted to be known as "Lord George Brown" (there was probably a "Lord Brown" already, and he didn't want to be so unidentifable); but you are not allowed to do that. So he had to change his name legally by deed poll to George George-Brown so that he could then be called Lord George-Brown.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

rivegauche wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:34 pm I don't really go for all the hullabaloo about UK Honours but sometimes the recipients are interesting. Those outside the UK may need to be informed that Grayson Perry is - in his own words - a transvestite potter. As well as his works of art, he is also a broadcaster, making some very fine documentaries. He often appears in public (and on screen) as his 'alter ego' Claire, wearing dresses that few of us would wish to wear in private, let alone in public. He was knighted in the king's New Year's Honours list. I suspect that there do not yet exist protocols for allowing him (he does not identify as Claire) to use the title Dame Claire Perry when he is in his dress. He already has an OBE or MBE. When he received it from the Queen at Buckingham Palace, he attended with his wife, and he was wearing a navy skirt suit and matching hat, really a sort of mother of the bride outfit. It will be interesting to see what he wears to be knighted. Grayson is well liked in the UK and is almost a National Treasure.
I’ve never heard of him so did what anyone would do. Googled him.

Read part of an article where he stated he was gender rigid because he wanted to know the gender rules so he could break them. I like that. It’s a clever way to stump those who are against you by being gregariously with them. I could see a detractor state something a kin to “you’re breaking the rules (e.g. men don’t wear dresses)” and him replying “why be a square and follow the rules!”

Sort of a confident “yes, I’m wearing a dress cause you all state I shouldn’t”.

I consider it just one more crack in the gender norm wall
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

The BBC might still have tapes available of a series of Reith lectures Sir Grayson gave recently on the subject of pictorial Art and the value of same.

His delivery was remarkably down to Earth but conveyed a great deal of information on his chosen subject and was very well received.

I too will be interested in what he chooses to wear for his knighthood ceremony.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

article-2545301-1AEE3A6000000578-431_634x1092.jpg
Here's the picture of Sir Grayson (in the blue)... I prefer his friend's green suit though :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Knighthood or Damehood, both anachronistic and irrelevant today.
Except maybe as an excuse for a damnably expensive party.
Like any other bash, also time for a new outfit, and Grayson/Claire could really go to town.
As Claire is French for bright, let's suppose an appropriate theme.
We could have inspired outfits from Joan of Arc, Marie Antoinette or even Brigitte Bardot.
Only difference appears to be that Grayson has to kneel for the sword bit but Claire just gets the gong hung on her.
Then they all get right Royally p****d afterwards.
Steve.