Just when I thought

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Just when I thought

Post by nzfreestyler »

Ditto

Merry Xmas to all
Busy cooking here.....
Wines and Cooking and Eating all day long.....

All the best
NZF
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I think I understand the reservations; but in my 'home town' I think I'd get almost as much attention, if not more, if I showed up in pants. So, yes I have attended both memorial services, and cemetery burials skirted. The most recent funeral service was for a dear friend and I had been asked by the family to have a key role in the service, so I was very much "there" -- but since skirts are just my everyday wear, it did not seem out of place.

Here, we have, by law, to get bodies in the ground within 24 hours. In our small community, though we usually have a backhoe available to dig the grave site, the filling after the coffin (or bag, or....) is lowered, is done by those of us in attendance, with a hand shovel -- there are usually a couple shovels present and any who wish to help, do --it is in a way an honoring of the deceased; and this I've done skirted as well. Some of the women usually help, and as it is a formal event for which everyone is usually dressed nicely, more women are in skirts and dresses than usual, but it does seem to fall to the men. Nobody has ever expressed a concern about my attire. I have not had occasion to partake in a funeral or burial outside of those at our Meeting cemetery while in a skirt, so I cannot comment upon 'being a strange MIS" -- however, I suspect it mostly comes down as with all other MIS situations, as to how you carry yourself.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Faldaguy wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:28 am I suspect it mostly comes down as with all other MIS situations, as to how you carry yourself
Sorry Faldaguy but I think you may have misread my original intent.
My quandary was not about being seen in the cemetery skirted, at least not by a living person.
The dissonance came because I felt that I would have been springing my skirts on my parents without warning.
As I don't believe in an afterlife, I was rather surprised at feeling that way.
However, as I said, my daughter inadvertently made the decision rather easy.
On a wider note, I'd agree that carrying oneself correctly is key in most MIS situations, some have to be treated with caution.
Formal family oriented gatherings like weddings, funerals and baptisms can be emotionally charged affairs so it would pay to be mindful of this.
I also said, I will simply absent myself if I am unwilling to conform.
I know full well that there would be "repercussions" otherwise so it's easier even though my popularity rating is dire as a result.
Steve.