Wash Post: not gay not trans. Guy in a dress

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wash Post: not gay not trans. Guy in a dress

Post by Freedomforall »

FLbreezy wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:08 pm This article had me really thinking yesterday. I've never ever seen another person and want to cause them physical harm because they were different from me. This guy was not hurting anyone, I can't imagine the visceral reaction he seemed to trigger in his community.

It can't be an intellectual thing, as no rational thought process could come to the conclusion that he needed to be attacked. It's almost like an ancient primate response where one monkey sees a monkey from another clan and attacks. However evolved we think we are, we still have a disappointingly long way to go. :(
I think you raise a valid point. I have never seen someone that was different and wanted to hurt them because they were different. What is it that makes people feel the need to do harm to people that are different?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Freedomforall wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:23 pmI think you raise a valid point. I have never seen someone that was different and wanted to hurt them because they were different. What is it that makes people feel the need to do harm to people that are different?
I think it's the simple facy of difference that tweaks some ancient and likely evolutionary-level impulse in many people. Essentially, "If it's different, it's not us" and potentially represents a threat. This might also explain racism and xenophobia in general.

It's got no place now, having been driven obsolete by modern man's technology and prowess as a predator -- but it's still lingering deep in our DNA and takes a bit of a fight to suppress. Some can suppress it; others cannot.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

FLbreezy wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:08 pm This article had me really thinking yesterday. I've never ever seen another person and want to cause them physical harm because they were different from me. This guy was not hurting anyone, I can't imagine the visceral reaction he seemed to trigger in his community.

It can't be an intellectual thing, as no rational thought process could come to the conclusion that he needed to be attacked. It's almost like an ancient primate response where one monkey sees a monkey from another clan and attacks. However evolved we think we are, we still have a disappointingly long way to go. :(
We learn life is suposed to reveal mesning in the most absurd, painful, and dispiriting of circumstances. I mostly feel the opposite it true.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:50 pm
JeffB1959 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:56 am Your article is behind a paywall. Is there any other way of posting it?
https://archive.ph/y2lx3
That was a good but rather long read.

I enjoyed most of it. I think his life's story encompasses alot of our fears. Our fears of being bullied, rejected, mocked etc.

It looks like there are several other articles about sissy Goodwin.

https://trib.com/news/local/casper/play ... 7377f.html
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

The only time I’ve wanted to hurt another is when I see them hurting someone. Or self defense stuff. Like the stupid fights of youth.

But hurting someone just cause they’re different? It must relate to low feelings of self worth or self esteem. If you ain’t comfortable with yourself perhaps they feel this need to drag others down to your level to feel good. And we all want to feel good.

Almost makes you wonder who are the most well adjusted people on Earth. Haters will look at the men wearing skirts and ask what’s wrong with them. But is there anything wrong with them? Or is there something wrong with the people who are doing the judging.