Wash Post: not gay not trans. Guy in a dress

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wash Post: not gay not trans. Guy in a dress

Post by JeffB1959 »

Your article is behind a paywall. Is there any other way of posting it?
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

JeffB1959 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:56 am Your article is behind a paywall. Is there any other way of posting it?
https://archive.ph/y2lx3
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

That was a good read. This stood out to me:
“You know, on the surface, the Western culture says mind your own business. But that’s so far from the truth. A lot of people believe that everything is their business,” he said. “And, you know, I’m really grateful for the play you did and for Sissy, for reminding people that it’s the inside that counts, not the outside. What somebody is wearing is none of my damn business.”
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:00 pm That was a good read. This stood out to me:
“You know, on the surface, the Western culture says mind your own business. But that’s so far from the truth. A lot of people believe that everything is their business,” he said. “And, you know, I’m really grateful for the play you did and for Sissy, for reminding people that it’s the inside that counts, not the outside. What somebody is wearing is none of my damn business.”
Thanks for posting. That was an incredible, and moving article.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:00 pm That was a good read. This stood out to me:
Awesome quote! What someone is wearing is none of my damn business and I should just mind my own damn business
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

JeffB1959 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:39 pm
Thanks for posting. That was an incredible, and moving article.
Agreed. Pretty crazy to think of the fact he was literally beat up several times, disowned by his mother and yet, never gave up his interest in wearing what he wanted to. Seems if clothing really didn’t matter, he wouldn’t dress that way since it got him an arse kicking. But he persisted
Last edited by ScotL on Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

A heartwarming read, and one tinged with sadness at how people treat others.

Thank you for sharing this.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Ray wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:41 pm A heartwarming read, and one tinged with sadness at how people treat others.

Thank you for sharing this.
Yeah, there really is no reason to treat another this way. Especially his mother of all people on her death bed.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:42 amYeah, there really is no reason to treat another this way. Especially his mother of all people on her death bed.
That was a hard read. If my mom had said anything like that to me in such a situation I would have played it just as coldly: "Then die cold and alone. I shall take my leave. Good day."

And entirely likely gone out to my car to have a good cry before driving away.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:58 am
ScotL wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:42 amYeah, there really is no reason to treat another this way. Especially his mother of all people on her death bed.
That was a hard read. If my mom had said anything like that to me in such a situation I would have played it just as coldly: "Then die cold and alone. I shall take my leave. Good day."

And entirely likely gone out to my car to have a good cry before driving away.
Dunno what I’d do. Cry for sure. Be devastated. Just can’t imagine
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

It's so sad that some people are so inflexible when it comes to their biases and prejudices, they're willing to take them to the grave rather than change.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

JeffB1959 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:41 am It's so sad that some people are so inflexible when it comes to their biases and prejudices, they're willing to take them to the grave rather than change.
And not just take them to their grave, so many seem to advocate for the deaths of others. But in my line of work, many people suddenly find themselves with a fatal illness. And that puts another level of importance to life. It’s past time to advocate for the respect for other’s lives. Wishing all of you happiness in being yourself
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Thanks for posting.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

This article had me really thinking yesterday. I've never ever seen another person and want to cause them physical harm because they were different from me. This guy was not hurting anyone, I can't imagine the visceral reaction he seemed to trigger in his community.

It can't be an intellectual thing, as no rational thought process could come to the conclusion that he needed to be attacked. It's almost like an ancient primate response where one monkey sees a monkey from another clan and attacks. However evolved we think we are, we still have a disappointingly long way to go. :(