The Year of The Dude Skirt

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

The Year of The Dude Skirt

Post by FLbreezy »

https://www.thecut.com/2022/12/2022-yea ... skirt.html

Not overly positive, IMO, but this was interesting:
“I do think unisex clothing is more in vogue,” says menswear writer Derek Guy, “but it’s hard for men to wear skirts in particular because there has been no cultural movement around them.” In order for a garment to really take hold, Guy explains, it needs to be more than a meaningless “artistic project” — like Brad Pitt wearing a skirt at the Bullet Train premiere.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Year of The Dude Skirt

Post by Coder »

I agree with the notion that one-off celebrity skirt-wearing won't catalyze a new fashion paradigm - but it will chip away at people's perceptions of skirted males.

I don't get the comparison to mesh shirts on men - perhaps I don't socialize enough or haven't been out of the house a lot lately - but I don't think I've ever seen a guy wearing a mesh shirt.
Last edited by Coder on Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

I don't know if fashion is really determined in the same way it used to be. Going back 40 or 50 years, then so much came out of the music world. Remember Rollermania? What about Beastie Boys and the theft of VW badges by their fans just so they could copy them? [https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news ... -18633262]

The best hope we have is probably celebs, but which ones have that much influence I wouldn't like to hazard a guess. Seeing skirted men in films would be a big step in the right direction towards normalisation I believe.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

When I read an article like that sometimes (and this is one of them) I get the impression that the writer is not writing a positive article. The words are positive but after reading I'm left with a negative slightly despairing feeling.
Reading on I see it, the clue I've been subconsciously looking for. In this case more than a clue, a big fat lie.
Quote:
writer Rhik Samadder took to the streets of London in a pink miniskirt to see if a regular guy like himself could pull off a skirt in public. He realized, pretty quickly, that he probably could not

Here's the article Rhik wrote;
https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/202 ... -but-can-i
Read the article. At no time did he wear said pink mini skirt to see if he could pull it off. He wore a black maxi and later a paisley midi, in white and coral. Helped by lady family members until he got a look.

Why would a big hitter like Sangeeta Singh-Kurtz trouble herself with such a trivial matter like guy in a skirt? Then lie about it?

Happy to be proved wrong.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:36 am Why would a big hitter like Sangeeta Singh-Kurtz trouble herself with such a trivial matter like guy in a skirt? Then lie about it?
Sloppy writing/analysis.

If you are perturbed enough, write a nice email to the editor and point out the inaccuracy - maybe they will correct it. I've done that before with the BBC.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:54 am
Barleymower wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:36 am Why would a big hitter like Sangeeta Singh-Kurtz trouble herself with such a trivial matter like guy in a skirt? Then lie about it?
Sloppy writing/analysis.

If you are perturbed enough, write a nice email to the editor and point out the inaccuracy - maybe they will correct it. I've done that before with the BBC.
Good plan Coder. Sloppy writing is being generous. There's a difference between "pulling off a pink skirt" and "testing the cultural temperture".
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:36 am When I read an article like that sometimes (and this is one of them) I get the impression that the writer is not writing a positive article. The words are positive but after reading I'm left with a negative slightly despairing feeling.
Reading on I see it, the clue I've been subconsciously looking for. In this case more than a clue, a big fat lie.
Quote:
writer Rhik Samadder took to the streets of London in a pink miniskirt to see if a regular guy like himself could pull off a skirt in public. He realized, pretty quickly, that he probably could not

Read the article. At no time did he wear said pink mini skirt to see if he could pull it off. He wore a black maxi and later a paisley midi, in white and coral. Helped by lady family members until he got a look.

Why would a big hitter like Sangeeta Singh-Kurtz trouble herself with such a trivial matter like guy in a skirt? Then lie about it?

He seems to be wearing a pink mini skirt in the pictures.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:38 pm https://www.thecut.com/2022/12/2022-yea ... skirt.html

Not overly positive, IMO, but this was interesting:
“I do think unisex clothing is more in vogue,” says menswear writer Derek Guy, “but it’s hard for men to wear skirts in particular because there has been no cultural movement around them.” In order for a garment to really take hold, Guy explains, it needs to be more than a meaningless “artistic project” — like Brad Pitt wearing a skirt at the Bullet Train premiere.
I think if every article was glowingly positive about men wearing skirts, we wouldn’t have a need for such articles. It’s like we don’t have articles discussing if breathing well is a good or bad thing.

A new concept like this is going to engender both positive and negative reactions.

What I take from this is he, like many of us, may be overly sensitive when wearing such a garment. The two articles both clearly have good encounters as well as negative ones. To be expected if not warranted. Change causes all of us to recoil at first because we love the status quo.

It also reads like someone who wants ti wear a skirt but has trouble admitting that in a public article made mainstream. Putting it out there that he tried it but won’t be doing it is an “out.” A way to do something but not have to admit he enjoyed it even though careful reading shows he really did enjoy the tactile and “it’s the breeze” elements of skirting.

All articles are good press.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:58 pm I agree with the notion that one-off celebrity skirt-wearing won't catalyze a new fashion paradigm - but it will chip away at people's perceptions of skirted males.

I don't get the comparison to mesh shirts on men - perhaps I don't socialize enough or haven't been out of the house a lot lately - but I don't think I've ever seen a guy wearing a mesh shirt.
The only times I’ve seen a mesh shirt on a guy was at a gay pride event. The comparison to the sudden acceptance of mesh shirts to the cultural pride events is as outlandish as it is forced.

And I think the article is wrong. Celebrities doing things is a way fashion catches on. Think of people wearing gigantic time pieces around their necks? Hammer time pants. Madonna and Joan Jett. NBA players and athletic tights.

Obviously not every thing celebrities wear catch on. But we don’t necessarily need a cultural event to establish something as a fashion must have.

We have historical events. Women entering the workplace during wars and having their voluminous skirts not mesh well with mechanical factories. The use of horses where one must sit in a saddle straddling the horse.

Perhaps the rise in temperatures will force many of us to adopt more heat friendly clothing choices.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

ScotL wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:10 am
Coder wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:58 pm I agree with the notion that one-off celebrity skirt-wearing won't catalyze a new fashion paradigm - but it will chip away at people's perceptions of skirted males.

The only times I’ve seen a mesh shirt on a guy was at a gay pride event. The comparison to the sudden acceptance of mesh shirts to the cultural pride events is as outlandish as it is forced.

And I think the article is wrong. Celebrities doing things is a way fashion catches on. Think of people wearing gigantic time pieces around their necks? Hammer time pants. Madonna and Joan Jett. NBA players and athletic tights.
I agree that was an odd comparison, but I've come to realize that people in the fashion industry tend to live in a different reality than most of us. :lol:

I think I'm seeing our way of dressing coming in the younger generation, but too slowly for us. I'm an older dude and I'm out of fsck's to give (unless the filesystem is acting wonky) so I just do what I want anyway...mostly. 8)
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

ScotL wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:31 am
Barleymower wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:36 am When I read an article like that sometimes (and this is one of them) I get the impression that the writer is not writing a positive article. The words are positive but after reading I'm left with a negative slightly despairing feeling.
Quote:

Great, where are the pictures?
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:54 am
Sloppy writing/analysis.

Coder I have written to the Cut:

Hi I'm writing to regarding the Sangeeta Singh-Kurtz - year-of-the-dude-skirt article.

https://www.thecut.com/2022/12/2022-yea ... skirt.html

When I read an article like this, sometimes (and this is one of those occasions) I get the impression that the writer is not writing a positive article. The words are positive but after reading I'm left with a negative slightly despairing feeling.
Reading on I see it, the clue I've been subconsciously looking for. In this case more than a clue, a gross inaccuracy.
Quote from the article:
writer Rhik Samadder took to the streets of London in a pink miniskirt to see if a regular guy like himself could pull off a skirt in public. He realized, pretty quickly, that he probably could not.

The article written by Rhik Samadder makes no mention of a Pink Mini Skirt or any intention to Pull it off.

He wore a black maxi and later a paisley midi, in white and coral. Helped by lady family members until he got a look. The article was written in the spirt of de-gendering clothing and societies acceptability of men in skirts. The article was not about men trying to carry off Pink Miniskirts. After reading the article I'm left with the impression the author was undermining men wearing skirts.

Why else would a big hitter like Sangeeta Singh-Kurtz trouble herself with such a trivial matter like guy in a skirt?

Kind regards
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:44 pm
ScotL wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:31 am
Quote:

Great, where are the pictures?
If you look at the article in the Cut, the first picture in the article is the amalgam of celebrities in skirts. The second set of pictures comes from his instagram account. If you tap the right side of the picture, there are like five pictures of him. One in a pink mini skirt. I wouldn’t call her out over that as the picture is right there
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

The letter to the editor is still relevant.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

“Why else would a big hitter like Sangeeta Singh-Kurtz trouble herself with such a trivial matter like guy in a skirt?”

Because maybe it’s not a trivial matter?