The Year of The Dude Skirt

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Year of The Dude Skirt

Post by Barleymower »

Scot, luckily my message to the cut editorial team was still in my outbox. I was able to retrieve it and edit the section on the pink mini:

Hi I'm writing to regarding the Sangeeta Singh-Kurtz - year-of-the-dude-skirt article.

https://www.thecut.com/2022/12/2022-yea ... skirt.html

The Year of the Dude Skirt
Men’s skirts, at least according to fashion magazines, are having a moment. Everyone from NBA player Russell Westbrook to Pete Davidson has tried one out; our most masculine men have flirted with them. Gendered dressing, says a New York Times analysis of 2022 spring fashion shows, is at an end.And perhaps it is, on catwalks and red carpets, for the guys who go to Thom Browne shows and appear ...
www.thecut.com

When I read the article, I immediately got the impression that the writer is not writing a positive article. The words were generally positive but after reading I'm left with a negative slightly despairing feeling. Reading on I see it, the clue I've been subconsciously looking for. In this case more than a clue, a gross inaccuracy.

Quote from the article:
writer Rhik Samadder took to the streets of London in a pink miniskirt to see if a regular guy like himself could pull off a skirt in public. He realized, pretty quickly, that he probably could not.

The article written by Rhik Samadder makes no mention of a Pink Mini Skirt or any intention to Pull it off. He wore a black maxi and later a paisley midi, in white and coral, helped by lady family members until he got a look.

Here's the article Rhik wrote;
https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/202 ... -but-can-i

The article was written in the spirt of de-gendering clothing and societies acceptability of men in skirts. The article was not about men trying to carry off Pink Miniskirts. The pink mini skirt comes from an unrelated post on instragram. After reading the article I'm left with the impression the author was undermining men wearing skirts. The subject of men wearing skirts is a contentious issue in society and all efforts should be pushing towards a common goal of equality for men and women. Skirts might seem like an insignificant frivolous issue but the sooner men and women can get away pigeon holing each other and acting in silos, the sooner men and women will truly work together.