Quizzical times

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Quizzical times

Post by rivegauche »

I watch all the Monday night quizzes on BBC2 and there is a lot of what might be called gender fluid dressing. I missed the beginning of Only Connect last night (a disaster in itself as Victoria Coren's introductions are completely bonkers) so I did not catch first names or pronouns. The captains of both teams started out behind desks. Judging by the way their tops fastened, they both seemed to be wearing blouses. One guy had really long hair, and a pink blouse with floral embroidery. The other was wearing make-up including lipstick, but had an obvious beard shadow. He had a floral print blouse, a floral headband, and dangly earrings. When they were shown standing at a later stage in the quiz, the pink top was paired with pink trousers, and may have been a jumpsuit, but the floral blouse turned out to be a maxi dress. In the part of the show I saw there were no references to their outfits.

I don't know what it is about quizzers but this is almost a 'thing' with a far higher incidence of males in clothes marketed to women than other aspects of society. Good for them.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Quizzical times

Post by greenboots »

rivegauche wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:20 pm I don't know what it is about quizzers but this is almost a 'thing' with a far higher incidence of males in clothes marketed to women than other aspects of society. Good for them.
Quiz shows are staged, not in the sense of "rigged" but certainly in terms of appearance. My parents appeared on Pointless a few years ago. They had to take three different outfits with them, and they were told which ones to wear. Factors in the choice would include how the colour or pattern interacts with the TV technology and studio lighting, and making sure not to clash with or match other contestants. The producer would also be looking for standout characters. Sometimes they even arrange who meets whom, as in the (in)famous episode of Blind Date, in which a guy who loved women in PVC jumpsuits "happened" to encounter a girl in a PVC jumpsuit.

Of course, this works in our favour, in that we may see more flamboyant dressers, including more MIS. Perhaps some cafe members should apply for these game shows. :idea:
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Out of curiosity, what show/time/date? Curious to see what the outfits looked like.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

BBC2 Mon 12 Dec 8pm
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

rivegauche wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:20 pm In the part of the show I saw there were no references to their outfits.
Ah, good old Auntie Beeb, such a lovely old dear, she would not allow it.
I wonder if anyone from Tunbridge Wells has aired their Points of View though.
Steve
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

greenboots wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:22 pm Quiz shows are staged, not in the sense of "rigged" but certainly in terms of appearance. My parents appeared on Pointless a few years ago. They had to take three different outfits with them, and they were told which ones to wear.
I was in a TV quiz team once: one woman and three men. We had no guidance on dress, other than to avoid those small patterns or psychedelic textiles which make the cameras go funny. The men all wore shirts in plain but rather strong colours with contrasting ties. When we were assessed by the member of staff responsible for costume, he gave us a brief look, said "ooh, quirky!", and that was that!