A Blast from the Past

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

A Blast from the Past

Post by jamodu »

Dating from 2015, (I hadn’t previously read it) this Daily Mail (UK) items features Men dressed in Skirts and Dresses - in a positive bid to remove the negative stereotype of Men wearing items from the other side of the aisle…

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... ender.html
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A Blast from the Past

Post by Ralph »

That was wonderful! I don't know if I missed it the first time around or I'm just too old to remember things from 8 years ago. I'm also very curious about the bloke with tattoos of famous classic horror film stars - Karloff's Frankenstein's creature, Lugosi's Dracula, etc.

The rude comments are disheartening, though.
Ralph!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Standard troglodyte comments from the Mail Morons - with an enlightened riposte by one lady.

Good points made by the article.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Spartan Man_1, Feltham, United Kingdom, 8 years ago

FiIth. Yet more social engineering through gender bending as part of the fiIthy agenda of CuItural Marxism.
Really?? Why do these people always equate people's right to live their lives as they see fit with communism?

What does that say for the [capitalist] system they support??

Of course I know they're full of crap either way (these "isms" have nothing to do with individual liberty), but I always vex over why every. single. cultural. issue has to devolve into some ridiculous "Marxist" rant... :?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:29 am
Spartan Man_1, Feltham, United Kingdom, 8 years ago

FiIth. Yet more social engineering through gender bending as part of the fiIthy agenda of CuItural Marxism.
Really?? Why do these people always equate people's right to live their lives as they see fit with communism?
These people aren't worth the time of day. Luckily, these people won't exist in the next generation or so.
Ray wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:13 pm Standard troglodyte comments from the Mail Morons - with an enlightened riposte by one lady.

Good points made by the article.
You wouldn't mind quoting that lady, would you? I personally wouldn't want to dive into that den of stupidity just to find that one sensible poster, there.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

With pleasure. Here’s Sophie.

Sophie Thompson, Taunton, United Kingdom, 8 years ago

“Everyone has missed the point. Cross-dressing is seen as a stigma because of the inferior view patriarchal society has on women, and this shoot is trying to address and change that. It's not just about acceptance for trans dress. Everyone saying they look like 'wusses' or 'pathetic' - whether you realise it or not, it's because of the way you automatically feel that bring female = weak and pathetic. And that just proves why there's a need to do shoots like this to change the way society automatically thinks that. Good for all of the people who feel comfortable enough in themselves who don't have the desire to cross dress, but just take a step back and think about how hurtful and spiteful your comments are to those who don't feel that certain with conforming to the social expectations of what it is to be a 'man'. Gender is just a construct, they are no less of men because they are in a skirt.”

Good, isn’t it?
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Yes, she gets it, and expresses it well.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

Ray wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:41 am With pleasure. Here’s Sophie.

Sophie Thompson, Taunton, United Kingdom, 8 years ago

“Everyone has missed the point. Cross-dressing is seen as a stigma because of the inferior view patriarchal society has on women, and this shoot is trying to address and change that. It's not just about acceptance for trans dress. Everyone saying they look like 'wusses' or 'pathetic' - whether you realise it or not, it's because of the way you automatically feel that bring female = weak and pathetic. And that just proves why there's a need to do shoots like this to change the way society automatically thinks that. Good for all of the people who feel comfortable enough in themselves who don't have the desire to cross dress, but just take a step back and think about how hurtful and spiteful your comments are to those who don't feel that certain with conforming to the social expectations of what it is to be a 'man'. Gender is just a construct, they are no less of men because they are in a skirt.”

Good, isn’t it?
I do have something to say about gender as a "construct", which simply isn't correct, and wasn't back then. The roles and expectations placed on gender are the constructs, NOT gender itself. I honestly think this statement takes away more than it adds in discussions — leaving people to talk over each other rather than trying to understand opposing beliefs.

The rest of her post, though, was golden. A piece of gold of in a mountain of feces. It's probably downvoted to oblivion, though.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

TSH wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:41 pm I do have something to say about gender as a "construct", which simply isn't correct, and wasn't back then. The roles and expectations placed on gender are the constructs, NOT gender itself. I honestly think this statement takes away more than it adds in discussions — leaving people to talk over each other rather than trying to understand opposing beliefs.
I think the point is that, if you use the terminology in this way (which you can), gender is DEFINED as the construct - the assemblage of roles and expectations. What is not the construct is not gender but sex.
But prissiness about the word "sex" has led to the widespread use of the word "gender" to mean "sex", which is hugely unhelpful, as is the corresponding confusion between transgender and transsexual, exacerbated by the vague label "trans".