Moving to Pensacola

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Moving to Pensacola

Post by Freedomforall »

What a year this has been. Many of you know I am not a fan of cold weather. After tumors were removed I was left with a lot of Mononeuropathy in my arms, legs, feet, and buttocks. Cold weather hurts even more now. We have decided to move to Pensacola, Florida. I read this article. https://www.ocregister.com/2016/06/23/f ... es-differ/

Florida apparently has some "rednecks" as well. I have been wearing skirts and dresses for over 6 years now. I know it is all about mindset. However, should I be concerned?
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: Moving to Pensacola

Post by ScotL »

Depends. Where you coming from?
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Portland, Tn. A small town about 20 miles north of Nashville in the Kentucky line.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Freedomforall wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:03 am However, should I be concerned?
Hi FFA
I cannot speak for the USA but more generally.
No matter how much is said about how we live in liberated times, one should always be mindful of personal safety.
There is always a chance of a random and extreme "hater" appearing in your sphere.
Do not be paranoid but be observant and aware of your space and those around you.
Also think ahead, try to avoid places where you know there will be bad feeling toward non-conformity.
The fact is that nasty things can happen in the very nicest of places.
Take care.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Stevie's got it right FFA. Always keep your "street smarts" sharp and aware. With luck, you'll never need 'em!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Well thank you all for the advice. It never hurts to be reminded of the importance of basic safety tips sometimes. I held to know I ha e people like you all to consult with. Thank you
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Freedomforall wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:31 pm Portland, Tn. A small town about 20 miles north of Nashville in the Kentucky line.
Doubt you’re gonna find much difference. Except you’re gonna sweat a heckuva lot more. I suspect you slowly came out of the closet there in TN but will be quicker now. Bet you already have many lines ready for the defense of them. You can now add the Brad Pitt line though “the breeze”
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

The further north in Florida you go, the more "southern" it gets. The Panhandle is notoriously rednecky.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

FLbreezy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:48 pm The further north in Florida you go, the more "southern" it gets. The Panhandle is notoriously rednecky.
It shall be an adventure then. I cannot imagine it would be much worse than here. My own neighbor thinks men wearing cologne makes them gay. I cannot imagine what she must think of me in skirts. Frankly, I don't give a dang! I find it rather humorous and narrow minded.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Freedomforall wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:26 pm
FLbreezy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:48 pm The further north in Florida you go, the more "southern" it gets. The Panhandle is notoriously rednecky.
It shall be an adventure then. I cannot imagine it would be much worse than here. My own neighbor thinks men wearing cologne makes them gay. I cannot imagine what she must think of me in skirts. Frankly, I don't give a dang! I find it rather humorous and narrow minded.
Well then, since you’re leaving, perhaps you can wear a skirt around your neighbor and blow her mind.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

ScotL wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:28 pm
Well then, since you’re leaving, perhaps you can wear a skirt around your neighbor and blow her mind.
I have worn a dress and a skirt around her many times. She never comments. I suspect it is because I have done a lot of repairs to her house for free.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Guess her snide comment may be directed towards you then huh?

Good for you though in being a nice person and wearing a skirt. Slowly she’ll come around. Will hear of another man doing it and for a split second, she’ll pause and think, yeah, but he was also a nice guy…
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Freedomforall wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:26 pm My own neighbor thinks men wearing cologne makes them gay. I cannot imagine what she must think of me in skirts. Frankly, I don't give a dang! I find it rather humorous and narrow minded.
That's amazing!

I moved from a densely populated county up here to a county that's mostly forest and farms late last year and so far it's been fine. I haven't really pushed the envelope on skirt-wearing like I did back there (yet), but I do wear them out and about and my few (distant) neighbors haven't given me any grief about it. I try to be a good, helpful person with them so they probably figure I'm just eccentric. :lol:
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

First of all, best of luck with your move. Moving can be a challenge.

Reminds me of a story about a friend

They moved some years back.
Be sure to box everything before getting the rental truck if you are going that route
They got the truck too early, ended up setting in the driveway for two extra days while they finished boxing up part of the stuff in the house. The actual loading of the truck took less than 10 hours. Box everything before you get the truck.

The news seem to sensationalize these mass incidents.
To the point of being excessive. Especially the LGBT crimes.
Murder is wrong no matter whom it's committed against.
Penalty should be the same against the criminal.
What ever happened to justice being blind?
You killed someone, guilty. Race, sex, orientation, other such factors should be irrelevant.

This world has gone crazy so skirt or not, gay or not gay there are risks every where.
Be as street smart as you can.

The neighbors comment on cologne boggles my mind.
Narrow minded as you put it?

Why is masculinity so fragile for some?
How does wearing cologne make one gay? Or anything else for that matter?
To be straight/ masculine does one have to smell like armpits or motor oil? She would be the first to complain if a stinky guy hung around her.

Ridiculous is what it is.
Then it's safe to say there isn't a straight masculine male here on the cafe. I don't remember signing up to get castrated to wear a skirt.
Ridiculous right?

I wonder how well received it would be if we started dropping comments the other way? Those jeans and t shirt make you so butch looking. That baseball hat is so gay.
I'm sure that wouldn't go over well.

It does seem like every thing is at risk of being feminized.
Funny that nothing is safe from becoming feminine.
But nothing feminine can be made masculine.
A woman can wear anything and still be a woman.
Yet a man is scrutinized for something simple like cologne or wearing a skirt.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Locations can be funky and can surprise you regarding what is "socially acceptable"....

By far the friendliest places I've EVER worn a skirt is West Virginia.... yes, you heard that right... West Virginia... Mountain Mama, and all that... a state in which every single county carried Trump in 2016. It is the only state, that despite my countless visits, I have yet to encounter a single obnoxious individual out and about.

Meanwhile, among more "liberal" places, I tend to get the most blowback and obnoxious reactions.

Honestly FFA, politically and culturally there really isn't much difference between Tennessee and Florida. The legislatures in both states seem to thrive on the same old fear mongering, divisive, "blame the liberals" rhetoric. Both states are VERY popular tourist destinations, so despite how obnoxious and authoritarian the states actually are, they won't reap the consequences of the "bad rap" that states like Mississippi and West Virginia get.

I'd say if you survived Tennessee, you should be fine in Florida.

Personally, if I had to choose a warm state, New Mexico would be on my radar. They seem pretty quiet for the most part. Florida just ends up on the news too often for my taste...

But all political bantering aside, I think you'll be fine no matter where you live.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.