Why Men Stopped Wearing Skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Why Men Stopped Wearing Skirts

Post by FLbreezy »

This was the most amazingly positive video with a little bit of everything: history, the rise of pants (boo), religion, why you should wear skirts, how to start wearing skirts...I was so pleased to see it after feeling a lot of negativity around lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKlc2yysY5g
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Why Men Stopped Wearing Skirts

Post by Stu »

Most of the time, I prefer to wear trousers (pants). They are more practical, warmer and require less thinking about when sitting etc. Skirts for me are a change from the usual, or else for doing something more serene like reading or a gentle walk in the park on a warm day, or shopping, or watching cricket. I want to be able to wear skirts without anyone questioning my sexuality or gender identity or any other aspect of my motivation, but just to accept that it's normal. That's what I see this forum to be about, but I guess we all have our own ideas.
gender free universe

Post by gender free universe »

A brief history of men's skirts. Very entertaining. Thanks for the link.

To Stu: Whether pants are more practical depends on the situation. When I'm lying under my car fixing things, pants are probably the better choice, but in the summer I prefer ventilating skirts.

Most important to me is that I have the freedom to choose. No matter whether I decide on pants or a skirt, I always make the right choice for the situation.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

That’s an excellent video one could share with family/friends. He highlights cultural heritage as a way to “settle” on a skirt style to start with, which is probably a smart move for anyone who needs a kick in the pants to try a skirt.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Coder wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:42 pm That’s an excellent video one could share with family/friends.
I had the same thought, he doesn't really get into trans/enby stuff (no offence to anyone) but just lays out how awesome skirts are for men and how it makes sense for us to wear them if we want. It was really inspirational.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Right all very entertaining but not historically correct.
Men stopped wearing "skirts" because in the west they became generally accepted as "womenswear".
The ancient garments and the kilt or the sarong are traditional menswear, so they are not skirts in our society's interpretation of the word.
Simple fact, copy the style Henry 8 had on and the assumption will be that you are wearing a female item anyway.
Whether that judgement goes as far as placing you in the trans category is a whole different question.
If you wish to wear a skirt, the "why" only applies to yourself and need be of no concern to anyone not of your choosing.
Even if you want it to be in the fashion of one of the most notorious misogynists who ever lived too.
Whatever floats your boat, it really is that simple.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

I'm evolving. Six months ago, I wanted a skirt so badly. I went through all stages of introduction shown in the video and yes its all good.
I thought, given a choice I would never wear trousers again. Yet here I am six months later and here I am in trousers. It's cold and wet here. Today I'm happier in trousers so trousers it is.
I've got around 15 skirts now with two more in the post and around the same again in the skirt graveyard eves cupboard.
Still struggling with school pickup. Too much hanging around in the playground waiting. I can do the drop off, that's a quick turnaround.
Clay shooting ground - no way
Friends houses - not yet but it might happen
Work place - no
Anywhere else - yes !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:40 pmClay shooting ground - no way
Heh, I'd go to a skeet or trap range in a skirt any time. What I would not do would be to go to a pistol range with any of my semi-automatics whilst wearing any of my ruffle- or lace- sleeved shirts because that would be an invitation to (a) damage to my shirt and (b) jams to the machinery when it hangs up in the finery. Revolvers, perhaps, but not any of the semis. 'Tis a matter of practicality. What one is wearing does not affect his aim, nor predictive capability. Many folks do not appreciate this simple fact.
All the time. They expect it.
Work place - no
When I'm not going to be crawling around on the floor or under things, yes; otherwise, no.
Anywhere else - yes !
Good.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Stu wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:13 pm Most of the time, I prefer to wear trousers (pants). They are more practical, warmer and require less thinking about when sitting etc. Skirts for me are a change from the usual, or else for doing something more serene like reading or a gentle walk in the park on a warm day, or shopping, or watching cricket. I want to be able to wear skirts without anyone questioning my sexuality or gender identity or any other aspect of my motivation, but just to accept that it's normal. That's what I see this forum to be about, but I guess we all have our own ideas.
Although due to influences here I skirt more, and seeing others on Instagram, it's a way to show others there's nothing to be scared about. The whole management of skirts and associated garments can be a PITA so sometimes it's just easier with jeans and regular guy clothes. Also the sitting etc is easier without worrying of showing tomorrow's laundry... but for special occasions a traditional kilt is never questioned, even if uncommon.

I even see less women in skirts, probably due to same reasons of practicality, upskirting etc... I think it just depends on mood, for most a skirt means you're planning to change from Mr to Miss :roll: case in point, Eddie Izzard. But more celebrities are embracing the look, and it's great having an expanded wardrobe :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Barleymower wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:40 pm I'm evolving. Six months ago, I wanted a skirt so badly. I went through all stages of introduction shown in the video and yes its all good.
I thought, given a choice I would never wear trousers again. Yet here I am six months later and here I am in trousers. It's cold and wet here. Today I'm happier in trousers so trousers it is.
I've got around 15 skirts now with two more in the post and around the same again in the skirt graveyard eves cupboard.
Still struggling with school pickup. Too much hanging around in the playground waiting. I can do the drop off, that's a quick turnaround.
Work place - no
Anywhere else - yes !

While I enjoy wearing skirts, I don't see it practical to eleminiate trousers or shorts completely.
It's silly to entirely eliminate the option of both.

(Not calling anyone silly) if you wear a skirt 100 percent of the time and have found how to solve the few skirt related problems. You rock!

The skirt problem list is way shorter than the trouble with trousers list.

The biggest problem on the skirts list is other peoples acceptance.

I have never felt more free and relaxed than when I have gone a hike skirted, and there is no risk of other people being around.

I feel like wearing a skirt probably 75 % percent of the time
But am lucky if I'm able to wear skirts 1% of the time.

No progress with the wife, I try to ask her why she is wearing a skirt when puts one on. I usually get a because I felt like it type of response.
I keep hoping she will eventually see that she has a choice, and that I don't. Doubt she ever will I think she she sees it a a entitlement.

What people wore in the past don't count. Only what people wear currently is socially acceptable.
However if men's skirts do actually become more normal, I just have a feeling she will still have a problem with men's skirts, especially mine.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:05 pm
Barleymower wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:40 pm I'm evolving. Six months ago, I wanted a skirt so badly. I went through all stages of introduction shown in the video and yes its all good.
Work place - no
Anywhere else - yes !

While I enjoy wearing skirts, I don't see it practical to eleminiate trousers or shorts completely.
It's silly to entirely eliminate the option of both.

(Not calling anyone silly) if you wear a skirt 100 percent of the time and have found how to solve the few skirt related problems. You rock!

The skirt problem list is way shorter than the trouble with trousers list.

The biggest problem on the skirts list is other peoples acceptance.

I have never felt more free and relaxed than when I have gone a hike skirted, and there is no risk of other people being around.

I feel like wearing a skirt probably 75 % percent of the time
But am lucky if I'm able to wear skirts 1% of the time.

No progress with the wife, I try to ask her why she is wearing a skirt when puts one on. I usually get a because I felt like it type of response.
I keep hoping she will eventually see that she has a choice, and that I don't. Doubt she ever will I think she she sees it a a entitlement.

What people wore in the past don't count. Only what people wear currently is socially acceptable.
However if men's skirts do actually become more normal, I just have a feeling she will still have a problem with men's skirts, especially mine.
Hi mishawakaskirt, it's a common theme when it comes to women. They will do exactly as they please. The only people they really listen to is other women. They do not like the disapproval of other women. Its probably an ancient thing, stemming from village life. Disapproval from the other women could seriously affect a girls life and wealth back then.
I am lucky right now. I work from home for now so can wear a skirt around the house all day. My wife is cool with it so that's OK, so are my kids. My youngest son even wears his sisters skirts occasionally.
My barriers are me now.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

MEN never stopped wearing skirts! Only in the western areas of the world has it become taboo for a man to wear a skirt. In other more enlightened parts men still wear skirts under various names. I do not wear trousers at all anymore, in fact I do not even own any.
I do not worry about what others think, they do not own me nor what I wear. I have had only a few bad remarks (2) and I owned the persons who made them in front of their friends. I have worn a skirt in a school picking up a grand child and had no problem, I have worn a skirt in several churches and have had no problem either. So the way I look at it if you own it they will abide it.

Skirts and dresses for men forever!!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I'm in line with Stu ( and others ) here. I have always said, and it will be proven if you look through my previous posts, that I don't wish to wear dresses/skirts all the time, only to have them as an option in my wardrobe. I don't need for anyone to question my gender or sexuality if I wear a skirt. It's just my choice.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:18 pm MEN never stopped wearing skirts! Only in the western areas of the world has it become taboo for a man to wear a skirt. In other more enlightened parts men still wear skirts under various names. I do not wear trousers at all anymore, in fact I do not even own any.
I do not worry about what others think, they do not own me nor what I wear. I have had only a few bad remarks (2) and I owned the persons who made them in front of their friends. I have worn a skirt in a school picking up a grand child and had no problem, I have worn a skirt in several churches and have had no problem either. So the way I look at it if you own it they will abide it.

Skirts and dresses for men forever!!!

Getting everyone in the west on the same page is the problem.
Whether 10 percent or 95 percent of the world foreign men's population wears skirts.
It does little good for us in the west that have people directly around us that can't see past their own postal zip code.
I just want to be able to live day to day doing what needs to be done, and If I chose to do it in a skirt I've done it in a skirt
No questions asked, I don't want to be applauded, commented to, stand out, get stared at, have my motives or sexuality questioned.

While everyone here is on the same page.
It's the one's outside of cafe that have the taboo.

Here are a few thought processes between me and my wife.
Me: men wear skirts in other parts of the world.
Wife: we do not live in the other parts of the world

Me: there's kilts
Wife: this isn't Scotland, you're not Scottish enough

Me: men wore skirt like garments in the past history.
Wife: this isn't the past. And we are not historians.

Me: skirts are comfortable, I like wearing them
Wife: skirts are uncomfortable, I only wear them if I want or the occasion calls for it.

Me: showed her the Brad Pitt pictures
Wife: that's Hollywood, we know that they are doing it for shock, likes, tweets, out of touch with the real world.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

The problem with the above exchange is that it shows what the dynamic is when one is using rational thought and the other is using emotion. Progress is impossible. He's worried about equal rights and what's right and wrong from an ethical angle. She's worried about whether "Her Man" is going to continue to provide for Her and pay proper attention to Her. It becomes a matter that delves into the Hierarchy of Needs at that point and she gets frightened.

Want proof? Here's a statement that is internally inconsistent: "Wife: skirts are uncomfortable, I only wear them if I want or the occasion calls for it." Note the contradiction of 'uncomfortable and "I want to"'. If something is uncomfortable, then why would one willingly wear it of other options were available.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!