Why Men Stopped Wearing Skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Why Men Stopped Wearing Skirts

Post by Grok »

Irony was intended, Barleymower. :mrgreen:
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:55 pm People forget that men like beautiful things and beautiful people. All straight men go weak at the sight of a pretty girl. Surely it is natural for them to want a little of that for themselves?
I had a discussion with a female coworker who told me flatly that men can't have pretty things. I don't think "pretty" was the word used, but that was the gist of it. I was dumbstruck at her saying the unsaid. I didn't argue too much. The conversation had been about bags (purses), she said you could tell the ones for men essentially because they were ugly.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Dust wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:01 am
Barleymower wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:55 pm People forget that men like beautiful things and beautiful people. All straight men go weak at the sight of a pretty girl. Surely it is natural for them to want a little of that for themselves?
I had a discussion with a female coworker who told me flatly that men can't have pretty things. I don't think "pretty" was the word used, but that was the gist of it. I was dumbstruck at her saying the unsaid. I didn't argue too much. The conversation had been about bags (purses), she said you could tell the ones for men essentially because they were ugly.
Next day show up with a pretty bag.

I say this in jest, but were I working in the office every day and had this same convo, I would be soooooo tempted.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

Coder wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:27 am
Next day show up with a pretty bag.

I say this in jest, but were I working in the office every day and had this same convo, I would be soooooo tempted.
Me too!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:27 am I say this in jest, but were I working in the office every day and had this same convo, I would be soooooo tempted.
I do and I would, loud n' proud.
Sadly, though men are not "allowed" pretty or more neutrally, aesthetically pleasing, things.
We all know that men and boys get drab, boring and damn ugly because they are "MALE".
That, my brothers, is why "real men", not namby pamby cissies stopped wearing skirts.
Ye gods, I could have great fun with that lady.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:34 am
Coder wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:27 am I say this in jest, but were I working in the office every day and had this same convo, I would be soooooo tempted.
I do and I would, loud n' proud.
Sadly, though men are not "allowed" pretty or more neutrally, aesthetically pleasing, things.
We all know that men and boys get drab, boring and damn ugly because they are "MALE".
That, my brothers, is why "real men", not namby pamby cissies stopped wearing skirts.
Steve.
Go Steve!
I had a conversation with one of the guys at the shooting ground (and after that conversation he avoided me for two months)
Here is the gist:
I told him about my nonbinary daughter and we went to Brighton in skirts. Wow he said, did you? Then said he thinks 50% of the guys in the ground are non-binary if they would admit it. Then he shut down and avoided me for weeks.
He's young <30, a big guy, runs a building business - he's smart. He's rough and tough and his joggers are always dirty, so is his sweatshirt. He also just married, I've seen the proposal pics on the beach to his exceptional pretty, feminine new wife. He also has a a very fluffy, pretty little dog that he takes everywhere.
Its not for me to judge. I'm not judging just making observations. To me there goes a man who like pretty things in his life. AND WHY SHOULDN'T HE! His dress reminds me of myself. Really what is the point of wearing nice clothes when 80% of the clothes out there are banned for me?
People are so obsessed with gender and sexuality. Why should one small binary group rule over the rest of humanity?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:07 am
STEVIE wrote: Sadly, though men are not "allowed" pretty or more neutrally, aesthetically pleasing, things.
Steve.
Go Steve!
I had a conversation with one of the guys at the shooting ground (and after that conversation he avoided me for two months)
Here is the gist:
I told him about my nonbinary daughter and we went to Brighton in skirts. Wow he said, did you? Then said he thinks 50% of the guys in the ground are non-binary if they would admit it. Then he shut down and avoided me for weeks.
He's young <30, a big guy, runs a building business - he's smart. He's rough and tough and his joggers are always dirty, so is his sweatshirt. He also just married, I've seen the proposal pics on the beach to his exceptional pretty, feminine new wife. He also has a a very fluffy, pretty little dog that he takes everywhere.
Its not for me to judge. I'm not judging just making observations. To me there goes a man who like pretty things in his life. AND WHY SHOULDN'T HE! His dress reminds me of myself. Really what is the point of wearing nice clothes when 80% of the clothes out there are banned for me?
People are so obsessed with gender and sexuality. Why should one small binary group rule over the rest of humanity?
Oh gosh - this reminds me of an incident. I had been going to the shooting range with a friend, and it was wintertime so they do indoor shooting, airsoft. One time I wore a pair of teal sneakers, Rocket Dog “Jazzin” style. Other than that, my appearance was male drab. The way they have you shoot - you lay flat facing the targets. One of the older guys said something like “where’d you get those shoes, the women’s department?”. I don’t recall if he actually said “women’s” but it wasn’t a nice sentiment. It didn’t stop me from wearing them, but is the simplest, purest example of how men won’t let other men have nice things.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:00 pm It didn’t stop me from wearing them, but is the simplest, purest example of how men won’t let other men have nice things.
People, particularly men do not like the "New", they want the old, ad nauseum. Men though seem to have a special disdain for a maverick, rebel or lone wolf to use a pack analogy. That mindset is probably the most likely reason why men abandoned skirts and other sumptuous garments; the "pack" decided on behalf of us all.
Barleymower wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:07 am Then said he thinks 50% of the guys in the ground are non-binary if they would admit it. Then he shut down and avoided me for weeks.
Hi BM,
You may have already considered this but, he may be in that 50% and you shook him by what you said. The big rough tough macho guy may just have a little vulnerable girl all locked up inside his brain. The guy in the pink dress and heels may be the epitome of machismo.
Judgement, books and covers can lead to a multitude of something.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:00 pm
Barleymower wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:07 am
STEVIE wrote: Sadly, though men are not "allowed" pretty or more neutrally, aesthetically pleasing, things.
Steve.
Go Steve!
Here is the gist:
Oh gosh - this reminds me of an incident. I had been going to the shooting range with a friend, and it was wintertime so they do indoor shooting, airsoft. One time I wore a pair of teal sneakers, Rocket Dog “Jazzin” style. Other than that, my appearance was male drab. The way they have you shoot - you lay flat facing the targets. One of the older guys said something like “where’d you get those shoes, the women’s department?”. I don’t recall if he actually said “women’s” but it wasn’t a nice sentiment. It didn’t stop me from wearing them, but is the simplest, purest example of how men won’t let other men have nice things.
The bully at the shooting range. Do you think his actions were more affirmation of his own well being?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:14 pm The bully at the shooting range. Do you think his actions were more affirmation of his own well being?
I really don't know. I had been going there for about a year, he was an instructor, and I was working my way through the NRA certification program (they have them for handguns, rifles, airsoft - $5 would get me enough ammo and targets to get a badge each time). Maybe it was ribbing? But it didn't come off that way... then again I have a hard time determining criticism from someone just joshing. I don't hate the guy - but it did make me less inclined to go. This was pre-COVID, haven't been back since.

My chief complaint, though, unrelated to his comments, were that their airsoft rifles didn't hold air consistently. Either they leaked, the pellets didn't hit the target as expected, or the gauges were funny. They were compressor-based - they would fill the chambers up ahead of time - and often not enough. Some of it could have been skill, but the variability with the gun put me off.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:44 pm
Coder wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:00 pm It didn’t stop me from wearing them, but is the simplest, purest example of how men won’t let other men have nice things.
People, particularly men do not like the "New", they want the old, ad nauseum. Men though seem to have a special disdain for a maverick, rebel or lone wolf to use a pack analogy. That mindset is probably the most likely reason why men abandoned skirts and other sumptuous garments; the "pack" decided on behalf of us all.
Barleymower wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:07 am Then said he thinks 50% of the guys in the ground are non-binary if they would admit it. Then he shut down and avoided me for weeks.
Hi BM,
You may have already considered this but, he may be in that 50% and you shook him by what you said. The big rough tough macho guy may just have a little vulnerable girl all locked up inside his brain. The guy in the pink dress and heels may be the epitome of machismo.
Judgement, books and covers can lead to a multitude of something.
Steve.
Hi Stevie,
I absolutely agree with you, he is in the 50%. I had not however considered how much it shook him. It probably shook him a lot, hearing his own words and for an instance seeing himself. It would also explain why he didn't speak for so long.
I find this tough, I really do but there is always someone worse off. What I am doing is better than the alternative, bottling it up. Luckily I am a size sixteen skirt so there are a lot of clothes out there that will fit me. My friend on the range is a big guy, he would really struggle to find something that fitted. Right now I'm wearing my a really comfy blue and red skirt by Roman with a T shirt and a sweater. F and I were trying on her old dresses together earlier. They all looked atrocious on me :D At least here at home I can be me.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:21 pm I don't hate the guy - but it did make me less inclined to go.
Coder, the idea of picking on/bullying someone with a firearm seems rather unwise to me. Just as well that you don't "hate" the guy.
Barleymower wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:33 pm F and I were trying on her old dresses together earlier. They all looked atrocious on me
I could use some R and R of that sort right now, sounds like fun. I have had a bit of a run in with my daughter over Dad's latest venture to extend the skirted borders for guys. The big disappointment is that I felt we were making progress but perhaps that was blind optimism on my part.
Anyway, it is what it is, my plans don't change.
"Atrocious", don't be too hard on yourself, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:42 am
Coder wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:21 pm I don't hate the guy - but it did make me less inclined to go.
Coder, the idea of picking on/bullying someone with a firearm seems rather unwise to me. Just as well that you don't "hate" the guy.
I only say that because - well you read enough online stuff about people getting all bent out of shape (verbal - not talking violence) over mean comments, and while I'm not the most, erm, confident person, I'm also generally a nice person. I forgive. Some might even say a pushover. I also know my limitations - he could totally have been poking fun in a kind way and I just didn't recognize it - but I got the sense he was rolling his eyes around in his head "look at this silly kid".
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:49 am he could totally have been poking fun in a kind way
Sure, he could have been too.
I have been taken to task myself for making "humorous" comments.
One such, example was a colleague discussing pregnancy which clearly would have meant a "virgin" birth.
My comment was along the lines of medical science, bodies and selling thereof.
I had no way of knowing that they were talking about a daughter who had no ability to conceive at all and it was an emotive time.
Ouch, and I felt like an utter asshole, the disappointed Grandma and I were never quite the same again either.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:49 am
STEVIE wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:42 am
We have all seen it, the way men can insult other men. Why do they do it? I think it makes them feel more manly.

I think you are right not to give them you patronage. There must be a lot of air rifle clubs to join.