InsideHook: Troy Aikman Made a Really Stupid Misogynistic Comment During “Monday Night Football”

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: InsideHook: Troy Aikman Made a Really Stupid Misogynistic Comment During “Monday Night Football”

Post by STEVIE »

Uncle Al wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:19 pm Cheap :?: I don't think so :!: Get creative :!:
As we try to do at Skirt Cafe', THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX :!:
Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Hi Al,
Cheap, is a relative term and I also know my limitations, dressmaking wise.
What's the cheapest Walmart skirt, bet it's less than $25.
However, were you "boxing" clever in your costing estimate and allowing for pleats?
As for time, ooh I'd be at a project like this until the cows come home.
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: InsideHook: Troy Aikman Made a Really Stupid Misogynistic Comment During “Monday Night Football”

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:56 pm
Oh nice! But that price, ouch.
Amazon sells Velcro towels that are basically the same thing for less but I like Sportkilt. They make good “kilts” for hiking.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I was going to wear a bright green ( with medium sized random snowmen pattern ) long-sleeved swing dress to work on Christmas Eve. It was meant to be a bit of fun and to raise a quid or two for charity but my wife found out. I had the full support of my colleagues and even the support of two Directors who happened to be in the store the day before. My wife went ape-sh*t and said that she wanted a D I V O R C E and not in the Billy Connolly sense. Well she just about ripped my heart out. She has calmed down now and acting as if nothing untoward has happened but I think I am suffering PTSD. So yes, women can take an extreme view of their man going out and about in wumen's things. I am not sure what the future holds for my skirts but I am taking one day at a time. Apathy rules, OK.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

My previous wife would have had the exact same reaction. I will never understand this reaction. How is it that women would not tolerate men telling them what to wear? Yet they, (not all), have no problem telling a man what to wear.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Freedomforall wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:58 am My previous wife would have had the exact same reaction. I will never understand this reaction. How is it that women would not tolerate men telling them what to wear? Yet they, (not all), have no problem telling a man what to wear.
Hi FFA,
There is a simple answer to that. Men are conditioned from a very early age to allow it.
When we were boys, how many of us had clothes chosen by our fathers or male siblings.
Who did we "dress to impress" as teens, certainly not ourselves.
Apart from the mavericks among us, most men let the women in their lives and convention dictate their clothing choices.
Girls grow up conditioned to expect that too and that's why most women can accept a man in a skirt JUST NOT THEIR MAN.
Simple, yes, but a bloody great problem for folks like us.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:35 am
Freedomforall wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:58 am My previous wife would have had the exact same reaction. I will never understand this reaction. How is it that women would not tolerate men telling them what to wear? Yet they, (not all), have no problem telling a man what to wear.
Hi FFA,
There is a simple answer to that. Men are conditioned from a very early age to allow it.
When we were boys, how many of us had clothes chosen by our fathers or male siblings.
Who did we "dress to impress" as teens, certainly not ourselves.
Apart from the mavericks among us, most men let the women in their lives and convention dictate their clothing choices.
Girls grow up conditioned to expect that too and that's why most women can accept a man in a skirt JUST NOT THEIR MAN.
Simple, yes, but a bloody great problem for folks like us.
Steve.
Case in point. My wife likes a skirt on ebay. I was asked if i liked it (buy it for her :wink: ). Daughter said she is not a fan. I said actually I do like the skirt here's a similar skirt I'm looking at for me.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

both women said thats horrible (they have no taste). Mrs BM said "It's the sort of thing my mum would wear and say "Its so out of the ordinary"" - apparently worn with tights, one black leg one red leg.
YETSame mum (grandmother) snarls thats rediculous when she saw her grandson in a skirt!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:44 pm both women said thats horrible (they have no taste). Mrs BM said "It's the sort of thing my mum would wear and say "Its so out of the ordinary"" - apparently worn with tights, one black leg one red leg.
YETSame mum (grandmother) snarls thats rediculous when she saw her grandson in a skirt!
Wait - I'm a bit confused. Is the skirt "ordinary" or "weird" and is is supposed to be worn with mismatched tights, or is that how your grandmother wore a skirt like that?

I pretty much like any plaid pattern, but agree that skirt might carry an "old lady" vibe. They are conservative looks, and midi-length, so might look a bit dowdy. But so what? If it's up your alley, try it (barring lots of expense, of course). I think it's what you PAIR the skirt with - top and footwear, tights, that gives it a certain look and vibe. I'm not imaginative enough to tell you what to pair it with, but I've seen enough variations on "dowdy" skirts that I know it can be done.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:26 pm
Barleymower wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:44 pm both women said thats horrible (they have no taste). Mrs BM said "It's the sort of thing my mum would wear and say "Its so out of the ordinary"" - apparently worn with tights, one black leg one red leg.
Wait - I'm a bit confused. Is the skirt "ordinary" or "weird" and is is supposed to be worn with mismatched tights, or is that how your grandmother wore a skirt like that?

I pretty much like any plaid pattern, but agree that skirt might carry an "old lady" vibe. They are conservative looks, and midi-length, so might look a bit dowdy. But so what? If it's up your alley, try it (barring lots of expense, of course). I think it's what you PAIR the skirt with - top and footwear, tights, that gives it a certain look and vibe. I'm not imaginative enough to tell you what to pair it with, but I've seen enough variations on "dowdy" skirts that I know it can be done.
I need to clarify. Grandmother aka Mimi :roll: came into the lounge with the odd tights on saying "they are so out of the ordinary".

Both Mrs BM and my daughter agree the second brighter skirt is a bit old lady and would worn by Mimi who would think the skirt is cool.

Apart from Mimi getting snippy at her grandson in a gorgeous skirt (boys don't do that). The worst part is that both me and her have the same old lady taste. The shame 😔

I've never asked but I'm sure if asked in open forum what she thought about men wearing skirts she would be just fine (otherwise she might look like a biggot)

You are right a dowdy skirt can look good with the right top. However I always think the skirt is best bit and other clothes go around it?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:02 pm I've never asked but I'm sure if asked in open forum what she thought about men wearing skirts she would be just fine (otherwise she might look like a biggot)
Ah but it is selective bigotry, "other" men can do as they please but "her" men, they're special.
I doubt she'd admit to that though.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:28 pm
Barleymower wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:02 pm I've never asked but I'm sure if asked in open forum what she thought about men wearing skirts she would be just fine (otherwise she might look like a biggot)
Ah but it is selective bigotry, "other" men can do as they please but "her" men, they're special.
I doubt she'd admit to that though.
Steve.
Or it's just a front to look open minded. It beats me how this carries on. Anyway I'm not going to tie myself up in knots over her and people like her.

Today I picked out one of my first purchases, a really nice pleated, grey silk skirt and headed out into the cold. I don't wear this skirt much anymore because it creases so easy. Its ok if stand up most of the time, I felt really confident in the playground. Miss Bennet chatted to me the other day, called me over in fact and another lady said "I hope you are wearing boxers in this weather".
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:55 pm "I hope you are wearing boxers in this weather".
Another example of women feeling free to tell men about menswear.
She may not have been so happy if you'd made mention of her underwear?
Let's not get into the "unmentionable" debate please.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:17 am
Barleymower wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:55 pm "I hope you are wearing boxers in this weather".
Another example of women feeling free to tell men about menswear.
She may not have been so happy if you'd made mention of her underwear?
Let's not get into the "unmentionable" debate please.
Steve.
I didn't see it at the time but yes she felt free to tell men about menswear.
I was not bothered because mostly any comment is good. She was also old school from when women were called 'darling'. So probably not so caught up in political correctness.
BTW this is not going unmentionable.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:42 pm BTW this is not going unmentionable.
Glad you mentioned that, HA HA.