InsideHook: Troy Aikman Made a Really Stupid Misogynistic Comment During “Monday Night Football”

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: InsideHook: Troy Aikman Made a Really Stupid Misogynistic Comment During “Monday Night Football”

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:27 pm Nothing incorrect in what you say Stevie
I'm hoping you are wrong about acceptance from women. If you are right I'm deluding myself that everything is OK at home. Marriage is not easy so it's hard to tell.
Thanks BM,
One word of hope and it is that "opinion" word again.
My wife's opposition is based on a very deep seated attitude, you could say her knowledge as she would see it.
This will never change, I see that now.
However, matters of opinion are different, more fluid and open to change. Therein, we have cause for hope.
Communication, honesty and mutual compromise are the key ingredients. In my case we only have one out of those three left.
You two, on the other hand, do appear to be faring rather better.
As to whether I am right or wrong in any of the points made, it doesn't really matter.
I am not complaining or whining about the state of play for men in skirts. I merely stated, how I perceive the world that I exist in.
Right or wrong, labels, names, opinions and attitudes, no one gets to dictate how I dress.
More importantly, I decide on what, or who I care most about.
That is "attitude" and it is all mine!
Steve.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: InsideHook: Troy Aikman Made a Really Stupid Misogynistic Comment During “Monday Night Football”

Post by Grok »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:46 pm
The women who find men in Kilts attractive really don't consider the Kilt as a feminine garment i.e. a skirt.
NB the "K" is intentional. Whether we like it or not, pseudo kilts or kilted skirts are just that, skirts, there is a difference in perception.
Steve.
As for perception (during the next few decades) there may be two options:

1. Adopt garments that are traditional mens wear in non-Western cultures.

2, Promote the blue stuff.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

3. Promote garments designed for men that are intended for athletic/outdoors activities.

4. Promote garments for lounge wear.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Grok wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:15 am 1. Adopt garments that are traditional mens wear in non-Western cultures.
2, Promote the blue stuff.
3. Promote garments designed for men that are intended for athletic/outdoors activities.
4. Promote garments for lounge wear.
Hi Grok, I'd happily bet on 1 and 4 as being the most likely options and the twenty year timescale looks right to me too.
The young kids of today's "gender tolerants" will be grown up by then, possibly even be parents.
It will be they, who shape the attitudes, opinions and perceptions of society which will be quite different from those that we experience.
Hope for the future.........................
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Steve.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Happy new year :!: :D
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:16 am
Barleymower wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:27 pm Nothing incorrect in what you say Stevie
I'm hoping you are wrong about acceptance from women. If you are right I'm deluding myself that everything is OK at home. Marriage is not easy so it's hard to tell.
Thanks BM,
One word of hope and it is that "opinion" word again.
My wife's opposition is based on a very deep seated attitude, you could say her knowledge as she would see it.
This will never change, I see that now.
However, matters of opinion are different, more fluid and open to change. Therein, we have cause for hope.
Communication, honesty and mutual compromise are the key ingredients. In my case we only have one out of those three left.
You two, on the other hand, do appear to be faring rather better.
As to whether I am right or wrong in any of the points made, it doesn't really matter.
I am not complaining or whining about the state of play for men in skirts. I merely stated, how I perceive the world that I exist in.
Right or wrong, labels, names, opinions and attitudes, no one gets to dictate how I dress.
More importantly, I decide on what, or who I care most about.
That is "attitude" and it is all mine!
Steve.
I hope she comes round Stevie.
Happy new year all.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Notes

Post by Grok »

The blue option.... This could exist even if its not commercially viable for some time. With meager sewing skills and little money, a man can convert an old pair of jeans into a skirt. (There are a couple threads regarding this in the sewing section).

Regarding imported garments.... There best chance for acceptance would be if they served some practical function. For example-athletes in Guatemala wear a sort of wrap skirt (the coxtar). Caftans as lounge wear. Sarongs as beach wear.

Some advantages for imported garments:

1. Reputation as traditional mens wear. (even if its someone else tradition)

2. Have a designation other than "skirt".

3. Already in production/economically viable.

A possible disadvantage-its someone else tradition, so won't be deemed a legitimate addition to the wardrobe. I recall an African sarong-the kikoy-dissappearing from a web site; I believe that it failed to sell. A recipient culture may need to make a garment its own for acceptance. (I recall a "Celtic Sarong" being advertised).
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I think it would be very difficult to sell most ethnic outfits to the average person - they are going to roll their eyes or dismiss wearing it. An Indian man at our church wore a traditional tunic (not sure the exact name of the garment) to Christmas Eve mass and my mom was a bit incensed. She thought it was "inappropriate" but I objected - "it's a traditional garment from his culture, it doesn't have religious significance". I don't think I convinced her - and he's FROM that culture. Can you imagine what hackles an American wearing that would raise? Even Kilts in my families eyes are reserved for people of Scottish/Irish descent, but I think those are the most "accessible" for most people because they hearken to a warrior culture.

My bet is on option #4. Get guys comfortable with them IN the home, and eventually they'll want to wear them out of the home.

Free product idea (I just ask for 10% of profits): "The Lounge Kilt" or perhaps "RelaxaKilt" - a kilt made out of terrycloth, use a velcro or other no-fuss fastener. Otherwise known as a towel :P. It doesn't even have to be pleated, but props to someone who figures out how to pleat terrycloth.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Notes

Post by Grok »

The athletic/outdoors option. Probably a good option, because it both gives a man both reason and excuse to wear something different.

One thing that has been commented on in previous threads-we repeatedly concluded that the next thing to gain traction will likely be a tough, dull, drab, utilitarian garment

Option 5. A skirt designed to accommodate both male and female bodies. Intended for, and marketed to, both men and women.Besides adding a bit more variety, female customers may help to make the design economically viable.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

I would like to see some beach wear skirts for men.
Pulling on trousers at the beach is uncomfortable so men generally wear shorts in the UK.
I'm seeing a wrap type skirt that you can wrap around like a towel and head up to the beach shop of an ice cream. Then leave it on and hang out with the ladies at a beach bar in the same wrap.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:38 pm I would like to see some beach wear skirts for men.
Pulling on trousers at the beach is uncomfortable so men generally wear shorts in the UK.
I'm seeing a wrap type skirt that you can wrap around like a towel and head up to the beach shop of an ice cream. Then leave it on and hang out with the ladies at a beach bar in the same wrap.
Actually BM, that is the easiest skirt to create, think sarong and you are close enough.
All you need is sufficient fabric to your taste, some velcro and basic needlework skills.
The fabric should have enough overwrap to avoid accidental exposure and hemmed all around.
Fix the velcro in the correct positions and you have a skirt.
Actually, arguably, you have a version of the earliest garment known to man.
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:04 pm I think it would be very difficult to sell most ethnic outfits to the average person - they are going to roll their eyes or dismiss wearing it. An Indian man at our church wore a traditional tunic (not sure the exact name of the garment) to Christmas Eve mass and my mom was a bit incensed. She thought it was "inappropriate" but I objected - "it's a traditional garment from his culture, it doesn't have religious significance". I don't think I convinced her - and he's FROM that culture. Can you imagine what hackles an American wearing that would raise? Even Kilts in my families eyes are reserved for people of Scottish/Irish descent, but I think those are the most "accessible" for most people because they hearken to a warrior culture.

My bet is on option #4. Get guys comfortable with them IN the home, and eventually they'll want to wear them out of the home.

Free product idea (I just ask for 10% of profits): "The Lounge Kilt" or perhaps "RelaxaKilt" - a kilt made out of terrycloth, use a velcro or other no-fuss fastener. Otherwise known as a towel :P. It doesn't even have to be pleated, but props to someone who figures out how to pleat terrycloth.
https://sportkilt.com/product/black-watch-comfy-kilt/
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Oh nice! But that price, ouch.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:56 pm Oh nice! But that price, ouch.
Ironically, I can't agree on that score Coder, it's quite cheap really.
It's a bit steeper if you add the options but they're optional I guess.
As for the rest, in comparison to a Kilt package, custom made in Scotland, they appear most competitive.
They are what they are, I needn't say any more.
Steve.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Cheap :?: I don't think so :!: Get creative :!:

Get 2 yds of 56" wide flannel from your local fabric store (Walmart) like this,
$12-13.00 per yd. Velcro is cheap too, 1" by 5yds for $10.00(Walmart)
( If you want to add iron-on waistband stiffener, that will cost extra, but worth it ;) )
Cut the flannel lengthwise so you have 2 pieces, 28" by 2 yds.
Use the selvage for the hem. If you don't like the look of the selvage,
sew a 1" hem on the cut edge of the material. Then fold over the selvage
and sew into place, creating a waist band. Sew the Velcro to the waistband
and corresponding opposite side, where the pieces overlap.

BINGO :!: For less than $40-$50.00, you've created TWO simple wrap skirts/kilts
with a hem length of 24", plus a spool of thread, and your time used to create the items.

As we try to do at Skirt Cafe', THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)