InsideHook: Troy Aikman Made a Really Stupid Misogynistic Comment During “Monday Night Football”

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

InsideHook: Troy Aikman Made a Really Stupid Misogynistic Comment During “Monday Night Football”

Post by Coder »

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/ ... st-comment
“My hope is the competition committee looks at this in the next set of meetings and we take the dresses off,” Aikman said.

The implication, of course, is that football is for big, tough manly men and people who wear dresses are weak or soft. It’s sexist, for one; there are plenty of remarkably strong women (and non-binary people, and men who happen to enjoy wearing skirts).
Here's something that a social media challenge could originate from. Hashtag #PutTheDressesOn and post a photo of wearing a skirt/dress in overly macho situations. Construction, sports, etc... However, a lot of these challenges originate from outrage, and my guess is no one really cares that much for the outrage-o-meter to go to 11. And frankly, his comment was not hurtful/harmful, just a reflection on how society still thinks of dresses and skirts - I'm not going to go down the "misogynistic" route because I think that term is overused and used to abuse men.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: InsideHook: Troy Aikman Made a Really Stupid Misogynistic Comment During “Monday Night Football”

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:11 pm https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/ ... st-comment
“My hope is the competition committee looks at this in the next set of meetings and we take the dresses off,” Aikman said.

The implication, of course, is that football is for big, tough manly men and people who wear dresses are weak or soft. It’s sexist, for one; there are plenty of remarkably strong women (and non-binary people, and men who happen to enjoy wearing skirts).
Here's something that a social media challenge could originate from. Hashtag #PutTheDressesOn and post a photo of wearing a skirt/dress in overly macho situations. Construction, sports, etc... However, a lot of these challenges originate from outrage, and my guess is no one really cares that much for the outrage-o-meter to go to 11. And frankly, his comment was not hurtful/harmful, just a reflection on how society still thinks of dresses and skirts - I'm not going to go down the "misogynistic" route because I think that term is overused and used to abuse men.
Coder, that’s a wonderful idea. Want to work with the hashtag though and see if we can come up with a line that mimics the usual tough guy line of “time to put on the big boy pants” or “I wear the pants in this family” or something along those lines. Though I like #PutADressOn, could it be #TimeToPutADressOn. Though that reminds no of the time to make the donuts commercials for Dunkin’ Donuts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: InsideHook: Troy Aikman Made a Really Stupid Misogynistic Comment During “Monday Night Football”

Post by Coder »

ScotL wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:28 pm Coder, that’s a wonderful idea. Want to work with the hashtag though and see if we can come up with a line that mimics the usual tough guy line of “time to put on the big boy pants” or “I wear the pants in this family” or something along those lines. Though I like #PutADressOn, could it be #TimeToPutADressOn. Though that reminds no of the time to make the donuts commercials for Dunkin’ Donuts.
#DressesArentManly but the twist is you do something like chopping wood in one (or a skirt). "Find the manliest activity you can and wear a skirt while doing it" It could both poke fun at unreasonable societal expectations of men, and be pro fashion freedom.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Funny you say chopping wood...

I was over at a friend's place a while back. I was coming off a really bad day, stress levels through the roof. I was visibly tense and agitated. They have some piles of firewood and a wood stove, so I just asked if they'd mind if I went out back and split some wood for them to blow off steam. They agreed.

Later, they could tell I felt better, and it led to a discussion of that need for outlets like that sometimes. One person joked about an "emergency testosterone kit" consisting of an ax and some wood to split. I could keep that stuff in the back of the truck, and stop on the side of the road if traffic was getting to me and split some wood. Obvious joke, but exercise does a guy good, and not just physically.

Anyway, not sure if I was in a skirt that day. Might have had a Utilikilt on, I don't remember.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:20 pm
ScotL wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:28 pm Coder, that’s a wonderful idea. Want to work with the hashtag though and see if we can come up with a line that mimics the usual tough guy line of “time to put on the big boy pants” or “I wear the pants in this family” or something along those lines. Though I like #PutADressOn, could it be #TimeToPutADressOn. Though that reminds no of the time to make the donuts commercials for Dunkin’ Donuts.
#DressesArentManly but the twist is you do something like chopping wood in one (or a skirt). "Find the manliest activity you can and wear a skirt while doing it" It could both poke fun at unreasonable societal expectations of men, and be pro fashion freedom.
Reverse psychology. Nice. Only thing we really need is fall out from Aikman’s comment and seems it likely fell on ears that didn’t take offense.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

ScotL wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:20 am Reverse psychology. Nice. Only thing we really need is fall out from Aikman’s comment and seems it likely fell on ears that didn’t take offense.
Yeah, I think the world made a collective "sigh" and "who cares" (if anyone except this author even noticed). People say things we may or may not agree with. That's life. I think if his message had been more targeted in trying to attack someone in an inhumane way, "outrage" could be justified. Sean Penn's comment about cowardly men wearing skirts - that was more outrage-worthy and barely made it to our attention. Even then, I hate the idea of tearing someone down for their speech unless it is truly hate speech. Discuss, disagree? Sure!

Ultimately this "battle" won't be won by some witty Twitter campaign, but by guys wearing skirts doing mundane tasks, living life normally.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:56 am Ultimately this "battle" won't be won by some witty Twitter campaign, but by guys wearing skirts doing mundane tasks, living life normally.
Yeah, and with no concerns over the task appearing to be masculine or feminine either.
Chopping wood, hey, I'm a Lumberjack and I'm Okay!
Mundane, I have to find an outfit for work, Manic Monday, if it wasn't Thursday.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:17 am
Coder wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:56 am Ultimately this "battle" won't be won by some witty Twitter campaign, but by guys wearing skirts doing mundane tasks, living life normally.
Yeah, and with no concerns over the task appearing to be masculine or feminine either.
Chopping wood, hey, I'm a Lumberjack and I'm Okay!
Mundane, I have to find an outfit for work, Manic Monday, if it wasn't Thursday.
Steve.
Oh gosh, :lol:

But very true - the whole idea of a task having some, erm, masculine/feminine quality in and of itself has lost a lot of meaning in todays mechanized and modernized society. I was trying to think of the most masculine task I knew and it took a few seconds to come up with firewood chopping, even if it's not a male-dominated activity anymore. There's a point where trying to draw up these distinctions is silly and we begin to describe caricatures of what men and women should be.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:56 am
Even then, I hate the idea of tearing someone down for their speech unless it is truly hate speech. Discuss, disagree? Sure!
Suggesting the predominantly male individuals of sports refereeing (yes there are a few women but exceedingly few and they are not in control of making the rules) stop wearing a dress is pretty indignant towards women. Yes, he could reply he meant dresses are for galas not down in the trenches but that falls flat. This was clearly negative against women even if he didn’t realize it. He didn’t say “time to stop baking” or “time to stop wearing shorts” or “time to stop wearing pink shirts”, he picked a garment everyone associates more with women.

And is it hate speech? Doubt it but it’s still prejudice.

But I agree we shouldn’t be squashing opinions. These are times where a positive discussion would educate. Both sides. The more we talk (and I mean talk, not yell, not interrupt, not harsh on the other) and respect each other the better we all are.

Any time someone purposely tells another to just “shut up” or stop talking about something, you know they don’t have a good argument to stand on.

I could see social media slam Aikman and call for his firing and it might even happen. Look what happened to Al Franken. And where did this silencing of people get us? A morass. Just think if a rational discussion occurred and Aikman genuinely realizes his mistake, gives a truly heartfelt apology and goes back to his job but a little more educated.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Coder wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:20 pm #DressesArentManly but the twist is you do something like chopping wood in one (or a skirt). "Find the manliest activity you can and wear a skirt while doing it" It could both poke fun at unreasonable societal expectations of men, and be pro fashion freedom.
I was just out chainsawing a tree down in a skirt yesterday. Should have got a picture. :lol:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK ...." Sorry, couldn't resist, did you wear a check shirt with your skirt?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Coder wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:20 pm
Evidently this happened, sort of:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/fitnes ... r-AA15zoiC

Not really a social media challenge, but interesting.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Clo07URAc0C/
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Unfortunately Mr. Aikman's commentis the reason it will take far longer for society as a whole to accept men wearing skirts - and heaven forbid dresses! - on par with women wearing trousers. Most people aren't stupid enough to say it out loud, but his attitude is typical. The idea is that skirted garments represent femininity, and femininity represents weakness.

That attitude may slowly change as some you suggested when men perceived as rugged are seen in public doing activities perceived as rugged whilst wearing skirts. And not just a few men or headline-grabbing celebrities either. The former would be written off as freaks and the latter... well, the latter would too but on the assumption they are doing it for publicity. Rather like long hair and earrings. Those of us who are old enough will remember when a boy who wore his hair long was considered gay at best, or an anarchist. Then as those young people grew into adults and the next generation followed their example, it gradually became mainstream. In the same way earrings were completely verboten for males, then one earring was OK (but be careful which ear you choose because one side means you're gay... never could figure out which was which), then small, discreete studs in both ears, and now it's not unusual at all to see men sporting earrings. But it took several generations to get that far, and those are minor changes to appearance compared to the much higher visibility of not wearing trousers.

So I'm not saying it will never happen, I'm just saying it will take a few generations of gradually increasing numbers before it becomes mainstream.
Ralph!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ralph wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:27 pmUnfortunately Mr. Aikman's commentis the reason it will take far longer for society as a whole to accept men wearing skirts - and heaven forbid dresses! - on par with women wearing trousers. Most people aren't stupid enough to say it out loud, but his attitude is typical. The idea is that skirted garments represent femininity, and femininity represents weakness.
And why should any of us care one whit about what Herr Aikman -- a former jock -- has to say about the matter. He made his fame by agitating a bag of wind on an American football gridiron, for the gods' sake. Yet another bag of wind. I am tired of "celebrities" and jocks. The world is supposed to be about real people.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:04 pm
Ralph wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:27 pmUnfortunately Mr. Aikman's commentis the reason it will take far longer for society as a whole to accept men wearing skirts - and heaven forbid dresses! - on par with women wearing trousers. Most people aren't stupid enough to say it out loud, but his attitude is typical. The idea is that skirted garments represent femininity, and femininity represents weakness.
And why should any of us care one whit about what Herr Aikman -- a former jock -- has to say about the matter. He made his fame by agitating a bag of wind on an American football gridiron, for the gods' sake. Yet another bag of wind. I am tired of "celebrities" and jocks. The world is supposed to be about real people.
Because he’s a human being like everyone else. And he deserves to be allowed to express his opinion just like you. You don’t have to like or agree with his opinion but he’s entitled to have one.