yahoo!Life / Seventeen: Lil Nas X Says He Felt "Free" After Wearing a Skirt on Tour

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Re: yahoo!Life / Seventeen: Lil Nas X Says He Felt "Free" After Wearing a Skirt on Tour

Post by rivegauche »

Any performer really has to consider the reaction of an audience. People if my generation will remember the hostility from the audience when Bob Dylan went electric. Closer to the debate, a male singer - possibly Marc Almond - wore stockings and suspenders on stage and was booed off. On the other hand Mick Jagger wore a dress on stage long before this and no one turned a hair. With Eddie Izzard, the skirt has long been part of the act and people expect it. With Grayson Perry the audience would be disappointed if he turned up in trousers. I have no knowledge of the performing arts beyond what I read in newspapers and watch on TV but I would be surprised if likely audience reaction is not a really important part of the planning of any act and so it should be - people are paying for the spectacle and I see no need to defend this sort of planning.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: yahoo!Life / Seventeen: Lil Nas X Says He Felt "Free" After Wearing a Skirt on Tour

Post by STEVIE »

"Lil Nas X is known for pushing the envelope. No matter if he's hitting the top of fashion and beauty lists for his stunning ensembles (he slayed at this year's VMAS), delivering iconic performances,"
then
"I was really nervous about going out on stage in front of my family and everybody in my cute, little Coach skirt,"

From what I have been told "pushing the envelope" is something of a trademark for Lil Nas X.
So, he has what reason has he to be nervous about wearing the skirt in front of his family and everybody?
I'd allow that he could have wished to don a skirt since kindergarten but then so have I.
However, the second assertion implies that he had no idea of the potential reaction and that beggars belief.
I had a very good idea what would have happened in my own case and the result would certainly not have been pleasant.
Oh, and if the poor little rich kid wishes to complain that I have hurt his finer feelings he can be told where to find me.
Now that was "snarky", with no apologies to anyone.
Steve.