LBB: Mexican Men's Skirt Brand Baron Invites Society to 'Take Off Your Machismo' and Defy Gender Norms

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: LBB: Mexican Men's Skirt Brand Baron Invites Society to 'Take Off Your Machismo' and Defy Gender Norms

Post by ScotL »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:54 pm I'm very impressed by this initiative. (I am also impressed by that nice black skirt!) But I do wonder, from the state of the baron.mx website, whether the company is actually an active business, or was just invented as a vehicle for a visibility campaign by an astute publicity company... I can find some pictures also on Instagram, and the "Pantalones" video was posted 1 August on the Mexican Roastbrief site and taken up by Badhombre online magazine. I note that Arah Kim, described in one place as co-creator of Baron, is also said to be the Creative Director of Le Juju, the publicity company, so the skirt company could be a fictional creation to give apparent substance to the anti-machismo campaign (or even - he says cynically - just to get exposure for the publicity company). (My Spanish isn't good enough to follow it up further.)

https://badhombremagazine.com/donde-com ... igualable/
Seems like a helluva lot of work for a ruse.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: LBB: Mexican Men's Skirt Brand Baron Invites Society to 'Take Off Your Machismo' and Defy Gender Norms

Post by Freedomforall »

ScotL wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:07 am
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:54 pm I'm very impressed by this initiative. (I am also impressed by that nice black skirt!) But I do wonder, from the state of the baron.mx website, whether the company is actually an active business, or was just invented as a vehicle for a visibility campaign by an astute publicity company... I can find some pictures also on Instagram, and the "Pantalones" video was posted 1 August on the Mexican Roastbrief site and taken up by Badhombre online magazine. I note that Arah Kim, described in one place as co-creator of Baron, is also said to be the Creative Director of Le Juju, the publicity company, so the skirt company could be a fictional creation to give apparent substance to the anti-machismo campaign (or even - he says cynically - just to get exposure for the publicity company). (My Spanish isn't good enough to follow it up further.)

Did you see this site with their skirts for sale?
https://baron.mx/
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Freedomforall wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:56 am
ScotL wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:07 am

Yes, not sure why you’re pointing that out? Myopic Bookworm is suggesting the website may just be a publicity campaign. I’m suggesting that website would be a lot of work just for a publicity campaign. In other words, I think it’s a real website hawking mens skirts. Perhaps I am missing your point? Sorry if I am.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Seems a little pricy when I can get he same look at 20% of the price on Amazon.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

phathack wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:51 am Seems a little pricy when I can get he same look at 20% of the price on Amazon.
Isn’t all fashion stupidly like this? What you can get for $10, $100 or $1000 is all the same look but the designer changes and that somehow makes all the difference. I know there is sometimes a large change in quality but the rules that dictate fashion costs are difficult to understand
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

ScotL wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:50 am I think it’s a real website hawking mens skirts. Perhaps I am missing your point? Sorry if I am.
But the website is incomplete (like, it has sections that are clearly part of a business website template). There is no functional ordering or delivery information.

It may seem a lot of work, but it may be worth it, depending on motive. If the backers are mainly interested in raising awareness for a social campaign against "machismo", then their invention of a men's skirt company is getting the exposure they want. If they are also seeking to raise the profile of their publicity company then the same applies; and it's not a lot of effort if they are already in the business of setting up other businesses with slick-looking commercial websites. Just a couple of sessions with some male models, a dressmaker, a photographer and a video-maker, then a couple of hours knocking together a partial website, and some well-placed tip-offs to the right online media. A good college project for a student in web design and media studies.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I added a skirt to the cart, clicked checkout - takes me to a checkout page. Looks like they are using shopify (verified in code and I've done my share of shopify-powered site purchases).
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Yes, not sure why you’re pointing that out? Myopic Bookworm is suggesting the website may just be a publicity campaign. I’m suggesting that website would be a lot of work just for a publicity campaign. In other words, I think it’s a real website hawking mens skirts. Perhaps I am missing your point? Sorry if I am.
Sorry, I tried clicking on a skirt and adding it to my cart. It says the checkout process is not working at this time.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:38 pm
ScotL wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:50 am I think it’s a real website hawking mens skirts. Perhaps I am missing your point? Sorry if I am.
But the website is incomplete (like, it has sections that are clearly part of a business website template). There is no functional ordering or delivery information.

It may seem a lot of work, but it may be worth it, depending on motive. If the backers are mainly interested in raising awareness for a social campaign against "machismo", then their invention of a men's skirt company is getting the exposure they want. If they are also seeking to raise the profile of their publicity company then the same applies; and it's not a lot of effort if they are already in the business of setting up other businesses with slick-looking commercial websites. Just a couple of sessions with some male models, a dressmaker, a photographer and a video-maker, then a couple of hours knocking together a partial website, and some well-placed tip-offs to the right online media. A good college project for a student in web design and media studies.
I think they’re interested in challenging macho stereotypes but I think they’re also I retested in hawking mens skirts. I’ve never really made a website. My one attempt produced an awful rendition that then got fixed. Then I learned from the person who helped me that it is a very difficult thing to make and really hard to make it completely functional.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

They are using a shopping platform named "Shopify" - it makes it easy to create a web store. However, whoever was in charge didn't finish the job. But, again, I was able to get to the checkout steps.