LBB: Mexican Men's Skirt Brand Baron Invites Society to 'Take Off Your Machismo' and Defy Gender Norms

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

LBB: Mexican Men's Skirt Brand Baron Invites Society to 'Take Off Your Machismo' and Defy Gender Norms

Post by Coder »

https://www.lbbonline.com/news/mexican- ... nder-norms

Whoa - how did we miss the coverage of this in Mexico, if the video is to be believed?
Uncle Al

Re: LBB: Mexican Men's Skirt Brand Baron Invites Society to 'Take Off Your Machismo' and Defy Gender Norms

Post by Uncle Al »

The video presentation is great :!:
This type of presentation, given in English, needs to be given
to all men, so they can fully understand that they don't have
to be tough, and domineering, to be a MAN :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: LBB: Mexican Men's Skirt Brand Baron Invites Society to 'Take Off Your Machismo' and Defy Gender Norms

Post by ScotL »

I think one could still be tough (forget about domineering) while wearing a skirt. That’s kind of the look I’d like to see.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:45 am https://www.lbbonline.com/news/mexican- ... nder-norms

Whoa - how did we miss the coverage of this in Mexico, if the video is to be believed?
Do you know when it was published?

This is phenomenal
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

ScotL wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:06 am
Coder wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:45 am https://www.lbbonline.com/news/mexican- ... nder-norms

Do you know when it was published?

This is phenomenal
I don't - this particular press release was published on the 29th - but the video hints this campaign has been going on for a "long" time, Weeks? Months? The retailer's site has a lot of styles out of stock, prices are on the high end (but not obscenely expensive), so they have to have been selling for a while.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

This kind of goes along with the Mexican dress link I posted. I chatted with the guy who makes them. He said the attitudes there are getting better towards men wearing these styles.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Freedomforall wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:43 am This kind of goes along with the Mexican dress link I posted. I chatted with the guy who makes them. He said the attitudes there are getting better towards men wearing these styles.
Seems they may be getting better towards men everywhere. Slow and steady wins the game.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

ScotL wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:35 am
Freedomforall wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:43 am This kind of goes along with the Mexican dress link I posted. I chatted with the guy who makes them. He said the attitudes there are getting better towards men wearing these styles.
Seems they may be getting better towards men everywhere. Slow and steady wins the game.
It is encouraging to see these micro cultural shifts.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed/Corrected quoting format
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

I'm a bit confused. The site doesn't look finished. There are sections in English saying what should go in the section. I cannot find any address for them or any terms and conditions.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Freedomforall wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:53 am
ScotL wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:35 am
It is encouraging to see these micro cultural shifts.
Agreed. And they’re styling the unbifurcated stuff with looks I like and think mainstream guys would like also. Seems this could gain traction.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

SkirtsDad wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:02 am I'm a bit confused. The site doesn't look finished. There are sections in English saying what should go in the section. I cannot find any address for them or any terms and conditions.
Good catch! They spent real money with that advertising agency (if the video is to be believed) - those three links are a head scratcher. I sent them an email, we'll see if they fix it.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I'm very impressed by this initiative. (I am also impressed by that nice black skirt!) But I do wonder, from the state of the baron.mx website, whether the company is actually an active business, or was just invented as a vehicle for a visibility campaign by an astute publicity company... I can find some pictures also on Instagram, and the "Pantalones" video was posted 1 August on the Mexican Roastbrief site and taken up by Badhombre online magazine. I note that Arah Kim, described in one place as co-creator of Baron, is also said to be the Creative Director of Le Juju, the publicity company, so the skirt company could be a fictional creation to give apparent substance to the anti-machismo campaign (or even - he says cynically - just to get exposure for the publicity company). (My Spanish isn't good enough to follow it up further.)

https://badhombremagazine.com/donde-com ... igualable/
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:54 pmI'm very impressed by this initiative. (My Spanish isn't good enough to follow it up further.)

My knowledge of Spanish is quite limited(High School). I used Google translate, to translate
the website into English. Works 98% of the time :D

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:54 pm I'm very impressed by this initiative. (I am also impressed by that nice black skirt!) But I do wonder, from the state of the baron.mx website, whether the company is actually an active business, or was just invented as a vehicle for a visibility campaign by an astute publicity company... I can find some pictures also on Instagram, and the "Pantalones" video was posted 1 August on the Mexican Roastbrief site and taken up by Badhombre online magazine. I note that Arah Kim, described in one place as co-creator of Baron, is also said to be the Creative Director of Le Juju, the publicity company, so the skirt company could be a fictional creation to give apparent substance to the anti-machismo campaign (or even - he says cynically - just to get exposure for the publicity company). (My Spanish isn't good enough to follow it up further.)

A lot of that would explain why we’ve never heard about this company or the campaign. It did say it was a joint project between the two companies - perhaps it’s a like-minded individual who wants to market skirts to men who also happens to work at said agency?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Uncle Al wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:31 pm
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:54 pmI'm very impressed by this initiative. (My Spanish isn't good enough to follow it up further.)

My knowledge of Spanish is quite limited(High School). I used Google translate, to translate
the website into English. Works 98% of the time :D

Uncle Al
Safari translated it, this might explain the odd website:
For accompaniment and personalized attention, orders are made through direct messages to your Instagram account @baron_mex. In this way, it is ensured that the final piece, in addition to being of the highest quality, is completely personalized. In addition, from your website baron.mx you can order and buy through this platform. Due to the quality of the fabrics and the work to the extent that is done, the value of each piece varies. However, these skirts fluctuate between 1500 - 3,200 MXN.