Virgin updates uniform policy

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Virgin updates uniform policy

Post by new2skirts »

ScotL wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:15 pm Notice all people identifying as more male wear burgundy and all identifying more as female wear red?
They need to have a burgundy skirt, as there appears to be red trousers as an option :roll: Bright red isn't the best of shades whatever gender :mrgreen:

They discussed this on LBC Radio in the UK this morning, very few people ringing in were against it which was interesting :ugeek:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

new2skirts wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:13 pm
ScotL wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:15 pm Notice all people identifying as more male wear burgundy and all identifying more as female wear red?
They need to have a burgundy skirt, as there appears to be red trousers as an option :roll: Bright red isn't the best of shades whatever gender :mrgreen:

They discussed this on LBC Radio in the UK this morning, very few people ringing in were against it which was interesting :ugeek:
I have a feeling that the bigger effect of this policy will be more women wearing pants and not more men wearing skirts. But it’s still progress. The mere fact that the words “men can wear skirts” is progress. Especially as there weren’t people calling in stating this was the pussification of men.

What were the objections stated on the show?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

ScotL wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:17 pm Makes you wonder though, why did they go through the trouble to make a “Virgin” tartan? Perhaps there will be a future outfit coming??
It was originally registered in 2001 and is exclusive to the company.
They may have used it in the past and may do again who knows?
If you fancy a garment in it just add the cash to their coffers and I'm sure Richard B would be happy to oblige.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Bored Panda has an article and a comments section - it isn't totally a dumpster fire:

https://www.boredpanda.com/virgin-atlan ... gn=organic
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Slight drift, but I see good old Pythos is still around and appears all growed up now.
No idea how old he actually was when he was a regular here but always seemed very young to me.
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:36 am Bored Panda has an article and a comments section - it isn't totally a dumpster fire:

This article is better than the first one. This one seems to focus more time on men able to choose to wear a skirt. The beginning of it is satire and makes a good point that should get people thinking.

“What if you identify as a man, but are forced to wear a dress or skirt, which doesn’t represent you in the slightest? What if you hate the thought of shoving your delicate feet into uncomfortable heels and then having to stand for hours? What if you actually prefer to wear heels but are unable to because it’s not part of the ‘men’s’ uniform?”
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:36 am Bored Panda has an article and a comments section - it isn't totally a dumpster fire:

I'm always amazed at the negative comments...

These nay sayers.... they literally want people to look a certain way so as not to offend them [the naysayers].

I wonder what makes them think they're so important?

I think they need a big slice of humble pie... maybe one slammed in their face.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:05 am

These nay sayers.... they literally want people to look a certain way so as not to offend them [the naysayers].

Does make you wonder. Why does anyone have to be so negative? There’s too much negativity in this world. You know at one time they were mocked for being a little different and wish they were accepted. I fear that pain drives them to needing to mock others to improve their self esteem. Too bad they can’t just live and let live.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

ScotL wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:08 am

Does make you wonder. Why does anyone have to be so negative? There’s too much negativity in this world. You know at one time they were mocked for being a little different and wish they were accepted. I fear that pain drives them to needing to mock others to improve their self esteem. Too bad they can’t just live and let live.
I think a lot of it stems from insecurity. They have to tear other people down to their level to boost their own ego.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

𝐻𝒶𝓉𝑒𝓇𝓈 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝒶𝓁𝓌𝒶𝓎𝓈 𝒷𝑒 𝐻𝒶𝓉𝑒𝓇𝓈!
𝒮𝑜 𝓈𝓉𝑜𝓅 𝓌𝑜𝓇𝓇𝓎𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶𝒷𝑜𝓊𝓉 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓂 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓅𝑜𝓈𝓉 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑔𝓈 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝑔𝑜𝑜𝒹 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝒾𝓃𝒹𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒾𝓋𝑒 𝑜𝒻 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝒻𝑒𝑒𝓁𝒾𝓃𝑔𝓈 𝓉𝑜 𝒸𝑜𝓊𝓃𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒽𝒶𝓉𝑒!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:39 am
ScotL wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:08 am

I think a lot of it stems from insecurity. They have to tear other people down to their level to boost their own ego.
Couldn’t agree more. What I want to know is how to help them with their insecurity. Would solve a lot of problems
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:45 pmWhat I want to know is how to help them with their insecurity. Would solve a lot of problems
Or potentially create more. For one, they've likely been insecure most of their lives. What would happen if we could go in a re-wire them (or drug them) into being secure. It is entirely doubtful that they would be able to deal with that in a sane manner. This is a phenomenon that's known in the psychiatric profession when it comes to anti-depressants -- in semi-suicidal depressive types, sometimes the onset of the anti-depressant is enough to "push them over the edge" and all of a sudden actually be capable of taking their own life, which is well understood and worried about.

I'm of the opinion that tampering with the inner workings of brains is perhaps not the best of ideas. Best to stretch them a little bit at a time to expand the level of awareness rather than a wholesale sudden shift.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:09 am
ScotL wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:45 pmWhat I want to know is how to help them with their insecurity. Would solve a lot of problems
Or potentially create more. For one, they've likely been insecure most of their lives. What would happen if we could go in a re-wire them (or drug them) into being secure. It is entirely doubtful that they would be able to deal with that in a sane manner. This is a phenomenon that's known in the psychiatric profession when it comes to anti-depressants -- in semi-suicidal depressive types, sometimes the onset of the anti-depressant is enough to "push them over the edge" and all of a sudden actually be capable of taking their own life, which is well understood and worried about.

I'm of the opinion that tampering with the inner workings of brains is perhaps not the best of ideas. Best to stretch them a little bit at a time to expand the level of awareness rather than a wholesale sudden shift.
I’m of the opinion you never give up on people. Be the good you want to see in others. Everyone you meet in life is going through their own struggles you know nothing about; be kind.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:14 amEveryone you meet in life is going through their own struggles you know nothing about; be kind.
Do not think for a moment I was being cold or callous in my comment! 'Tis very far from it, it's more a tale of caution so you don't accidentally harm.

And absolutely, be kind in how you treat others.

It's usually (falsely) attributed to Mahatma Ghandi but, "Be the change you want to see in the world." It's a magnificent sentiment, and ought to be taken as marching orders by the capable.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:19 am
ScotL wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:14 amEveryone you meet in life is going through their own struggles you know nothing about; be kind.
Do not think for a moment I was being cold or callous in my comment! 'Tis very far from it, it's more a tale of caution so you don't accidentally harm.

And absolutely, be kind in how you treat others.

It's usually (falsely) attributed to Mahatma Ghandi but, "Be the change you want to see in the world." It's a magnificent sentiment, and ought to be taken as marching orders by the capable.
Never give up on someone