Virgin updates uniform policy

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Uncle Al

Re: Virgin updates uniform policy

Post by Uncle Al »

Spirou003 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:32 pm<snip> what could explain why men are afraid to wear skirts, especially straight ones.
:hide:
:hmmm: straight men or straight skirts :?:
:hide:

:rofl: ......Sorry but I couldn't resist and I need sleep........... :rofl:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Another commentary - very short - on the Virgin Atlantic policy change.

https://archive.ph/zuYXr#selection-841.104-855.296

I don't agree with her initial premise - skirts can be comfortable - but they can't be restrictive which pencil skirts are. I get the sense the article's a bit tongue in cheek.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

A pencil skirt is quite restrictive - really - I find mine prevent me moving as easily - things like stepping over anything - getting into a car - and its true that bending down etc is a pain literally.

they do look good though - so its one of those things - you can't show your hips/rear unless you wear it fitted now can you! I don't complain about a pencil skirt when I choose to wear one - cause they are all about aesthetics - not really entirely comfort. And that writer will know that.

little steps etc is true - but then it actually suits the pencil skirt and heels look - cause both are the same and go together nicely in terms of walking issues - they do go together.

Cheers
NZF
Last edited by nzfreestyler on Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:27 am Another commentary - very short - on the Virgin Atlantic policy change.

https://archive.ph/zuYXr#selection-841.104-855.296

I don't agree with her initial premise - skirts can be comfortable - but they can't be restrictive which pencil skirts are. I get the sense the article's a bit tongue in cheek.
I’ve been experimenting with different skirts gotten through an online thrift shop. Any skirt that restricts my movement goes back, hate them. So I agree with her hatred of pencil skirts.

But to say all skirts are uncomfortable is hyperbole that appears bent on mocking men wearing skirts. I should not assume, but has she worn those blue jeans that her mother didn't raise no fool not to wear with male anatomy?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

ScotL wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:28 am But to say all skirts are uncomfortable is hyperbole that appears bent on mocking men wearing skirts. I should not assume, but has she worn those blue jeans that her mother didn't raise no fool not to wear with male anatomy?
In the context of the original thread, the pencil skirt is on offer and if a guy wishes to wear it, he is free to.
I have some pencil skirts, not my all-time favourites but I don't hate them. They are good in windy weather.
I have had very straight discussions with females on the subject of trousers and been told many times that they are more comfortable than skirts.
No mockery of my choices as a guy, just another valid opinion and highly subjective too. Just as my own for wearing a skirt are too and physical comfort is only one factor.
Steve.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I tend to wear dresses more than skirts these days and dresses are rarely that tight on the skirt. I quite like pencil skirts. They have more 'otherness' than loose skirts but I wouldn't want to run for a bus or try to sit on a picnic bench in one. With thick tights and boots in winter they can actually be warmer than trousers. When I have asked women why they are wearing trousers on stiflingly hot days when they have the choice of a skirt or dress I get told it is to avoid 'chub rub'.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I find it wholly subjective - comfort level - and dependent on what one does during the day. For instance, at work I have a standing desk. I like to perch on my stool like a bird might - with my legs tucked under me. Hard to describe... but depending on the skirt this is nearly impossible. Standing it's no issue. Wearing pants it's no issue. Additionally, parents dress their kids in horrendously awful styles - my sister suffered under such a regime - although I don't think she saw it as such. I think some of that might play into that as well.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:53 am I find it wholly subjective - comfort level - and dependent on what one does during the day. For instance, at work I have a standing desk. I like to perch on my stool like a bird might - with my legs tucked under me. Hard to describe... but depending on the skirt this is nearly impossible. Standing it's no issue. Wearing pants it's no issue. Additionally, parents dress their kids in horrendously awful styles - my sister suffered under such a regime - although I don't think she saw it as such. I think some of that might play into that as well.
Agreed. It’s all subjective and we really should just say what you hate, I might like and what I like, you may hate. But in the end, they are opinions. Neither right or wrong and should be respected without broad generalizations that ALL anything is good or bad.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

I didn't see any guys in skirts in the two links - but in the second one two FAs were wearing bright RED colored trousers (ugh pants) really sharp looking !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

If you see a woman (or someone presenting as female) wearing pants, do you ask questions such as:

Are you a woman presenting as a male?
Are you a trans man?
If you are a cis-gender female, why are you wearing pants?
Are you making a statement by wearing pants?

Now turn these questions around for a man wearing a skirt. It seems that a man needs to have a REASON to wear a skirt. The reason should not matter. Let's accept people at face value.

Just curious- how many of you would wear the Virgin female uniform on the job if given the option? Or would you say "That's for trans people only and doesn't apply to cis-gender males who want to wear it."

About flight attendants in pantyhose- I've heard that pantyhose help with preventing vein issues for people on their feet and experiencing frequent altitude changes.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Brad wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:39 pm Now turn these questions around for a man wearing a skirt. It seems that a man needs to have a REASON to wear a skirt. The reason should not matter. Let's accept people at face value.
Yep!
Brad wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:39 pm Just curious- how many of you would wear the Virgin female uniform on the job if given the option? Or would you say "That's for trans people only and doesn't apply to cis-gender males who want to wear it."
I would consider it - but only if it fit well. If the tailoring was off or restrictive (the skirts look really restrictive) then no. Also not sure if I'd like the pouffy shirt (could live with that though). I don't like the idea of being labeled as not-cis, but I think that just comes with the territory and you live with it. If people ask, just say "fashion freedom". Plus, since flats are allowed, no issues with footwear, though I'm not certain what that means within the confines of their uniforms.
Brad wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:39 pm About flight attendants in pantyhose- I've heard that pantyhose help with preventing vein issues for people on their feet and experiencing frequent altitude changes.
Maybe - but wouldn't it have to be compression rated or medical hose? Seems like the basic lightweight stuff wouldn't do much to prevent vein issues.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Brad wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:39 pm If you see a woman (or someone presenting as female) wearing pants, do you ask questions such as:

Are you a woman presenting as a male?
Are you a trans man?
If you are a cis-gender female, why are you wearing pants?
Are you making a statement by wearing pants?

Now turn these questions around for a man wearing a skirt. It seems that a man needs to have a REASON to wear a skirt. The reason should not matter. Let's accept people at face value.

Just curious- how many of you would wear the Virgin female uniform on the job if given the option? Or would you say "That's for trans people only and doesn't apply to cis-gender males who want to wear it."

About flight attendants in pantyhose- I've heard that pantyhose help with preventing vein issues for people on their feet and experiencing frequent altitude changes.

Regarding the female outfits.
It seems like the uniform selection is all or nothing. I didn't see a mix.

I would want the men's shirt and jacket with the skirt.
I would have to ask HR about the trans / cis male and wearing of the skirt uniform. And see how they defined policy.
I would tell them I'm a male that likes wearing skirts.
And not trans.

That's if I liked pencil skirts.

However I do not. I don't find them comfortable or very practical.

Maby for a airplane s narrow aisles they would be practical.

So for me a total no on the woman's uniform.

I also feel like it's more like a publicity stunt on virgin's part
Having a known drag queen in part of the commercial.
Look at how woke we are?

I agree we shouldn't have to have a reason.
Women don't get questioned on why they are wearing a given outfit.

Sadly I think it will be a very long time, if ever before men will ever be shown the same courtesy.

I'm sure alot of people think, " I'm happy in trousers, why can't you be happy in trousers too? 'Your being difficult or just want to be weird. Or you must be one of them what evers."
Last edited by mishawakaskirt on Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Brad wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:39 pmJust curious- how many of you would wear the Virgin female uniform on the job if given the option? Or would you say "That's for trans people only and doesn't apply to cis-gender males who want to wear it."
Given that it was crafted for the point to be more "inclusive" of the trans-* spectrum, I'd say, "No. That's the purview of the trans-* world, and I don't need that tick-box marked in HR. Had it thrown the doors wide, then possibly, but not with the way it was framed."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

I have to respectfully disagree Carl. If my boss explicitly told me I could wear a skirt and heels to work, I would gladly do it without questioning the boss' motives. It seems that there is a view on this board that everything is all or nothing. I don't care -- I'll take the easy win.