Virgin updates uniform policy

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Virgin updates uniform policy

Post by crfriend »

Brad wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:35 pmI have to respectfully disagree Carl. If my boss explicitly told me I could wear a skirt and heels to work, I would gladly do it without questioning the boss' motives. It seems that there is a view on this board that everything is all or nothing. I don't care -- I'll take the easy win.
That's fine, we have differing opinions on the matter.

At this point in my life, I really don't care what boxes some officious HR droid checks off -- because it won't matter later on in my career. However, if I was still in my 20s I'd always wonder who else would see that tick-mark and how it might affect the future.

It's all a matter of context. Things are seldom "easy".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:47 pm
Brad wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:39 pm Now turn these questions around for a man wearing a skirt. It seems that a man needs to have a REASON to wear a skirt. The reason should not matter. Let's accept people at face value.
Yep!
Brad wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:39 pm Just curious- how many of you would wear the Virgin female uniform on the job if given the option? Or would you say "That's for trans people only and doesn't apply to cis-gender males who want to wear it."
I would consider it - but only if it fit well. If the tailoring was off or restrictive (the skirts look really restrictive) then no. Also not sure if I'd like the pouffy shirt (could live with that though). I don't like the idea of being labeled as not-cis, but I think that just comes with the territory and you live with it. If people ask, just say "fashion freedom". Plus, since flats are allowed, no issues with footwear, though I'm not certain what that means within the confines of their uniforms.
Brad wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:39 pm About flight attendants in pantyhose- I've heard that pantyhose help with preventing vein issues for people on their feet and experiencing frequent altitude changes.
Maybe - but wouldn't it have to be compression rated or medical hose? Seems like the basic lightweight stuff wouldn't do much to prevent vein issues.
People who are trans don’t appreciate being called cis. So why should cis folks appreciate being called trans?

Flight attendant studies on blood clots used regular pantyhose.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Brad wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:35 pm
At this point in my life, I really don't care what boxes some officious HR droid checks off -- because it won't matter later on in my career. However, if I was still in my 20s I'd always wonder who else would see that tick-mark and how it might affect the future.

At least in the UK you wouldn’t have to worry too much. You can do a subject access request to see your HR records and require them to justify and/or delete any offensive comments.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Midas wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:24 pmAt least in the UK you wouldn’t have to worry too much. You can do a subject access request to see your HR records and require them to justify and/or delete any offensive comments.
I was writing from the USA perspective where there are no effective labour laws or vehicles of recourse when wrongs are committed. Hence, I have precisely no confidence that what I might get a look at is what's actually in there -- never-mind getting incorrect information removed.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Hmmm

A further thought to add regarding the Virgin Airways story, which I think is largely a publicity stunt by Branson. All that he has done is basically said that male employees can choose to wear the female uniform if they wish (and vice versa). In other words, they are saying they accept crew crossdressing at work. As much as I would like to see a masculine skirt option for males, this is not it. How many on here would, if they had a job with Virgin, choose the women's uniform? I imagine it would be nobody - I wouldn't because I don't want to dress as a woman.

Women staff will be able to wear trousers of various styles if they prefer those to skirts. Men who do not consider themselves to be trans and have no other gender issues will be stuck with precisely the same options as before.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

crfriend wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:02 pm
I was writing from the USA perspective where there are no effective labour laws or vehicles of recourse when wrongs are committed. Hence, I have precisely no confidence that what I might get a look at is what's actually in there -- never-mind getting incorrect information removed.
That’s what you get for living in the land of the free.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Midas wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:35 pmThat’s what you get for living in the land of the free.
Don't think for an instant that the irony is lost on me.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

The German rail system just announced a similar policy but the brief articles I read were a little more along the lines of "eh, just wear what makes you comfortable" and less about an agenda. One of the photos I saw also had a skirt (maybe it was a dress) that didn't look so restrictive. (No time to post links, I need to go into town and vote this morning) 8)

Edit: paywall links everywhere, but here's the uniforms:
_methode_times_prod_web_bin_8979ae32-5b81-11ed-9b1f-f7c251e9dfdc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by FLbreezy on Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I’d love to get the dark uniform: mens jacket, shirt, tie, then match with a skirt, hosiery, heels.

The latter would be modest in height: it’s a working uniform. I do find though that some heel plus a low vamp shrinks my feet, a result that I find aesthetically pleasing.

Mind you, I’d love the above rig in red too. I love bright colours! I’m off to a university gathering shortly in my burnt orange trousers…
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Stu wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:11 pm A further thought to add regarding the Virgin Airways story, which I think is largely a publicity stunt by Branson.
Rather reminds me of when schools "allow" boys to wear skirts.
They know perfectly well that other factors will effectively neutralise any potential uptake.
The fact that Virgin only offer a type of skirt that not every female would wear, let alone a guy is also indicative of the motivation behind it.
Steve.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

BA are now following suit (excuse the pun)

https://www.travelgossip.co.uk/latestne ... ts-policy/

Lets see if other industries that demand uniform will copy...
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I think the key word here is "required", as in

"British Airways is reviewing its uniform policy after rival Virgin Atlantic said it no longer required staff to wear ‘gendered uniform options’."
Is it a step forward? Only the take-up levels by males will answer that question.
Otherwise, just a bit of bandwagon publicity for both airlines.
Steve.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

new2skirts wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:35 pm BA are now following suit (excuse the pun)

https://www.travelgossip.co.uk/latestne ... ts-policy/

Lets see if other industries that demand uniform will copy...
The are "reviewing" which suggests no change yet...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

And now we have this

https://www.bing.com/search?q=virgin+ai ... A1&PC=HCTS

Is it really based on a "risk" assessment to their employees or potentially adverse publicity if something nasty occurred?
Not sure is my own thought.
Steve.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:39 am And now we have this

https://www.bing.com/search?q=virgin+ai ... A1&PC=HCTS

Is it really based on a "risk" assessment to their employees or potentially adverse publicity if something nasty occurred?
Not sure is my own thought.
Steve.
The Middle East is not LGBT-friendly.
When traveling into the middle east you will see lots of women putting on their Hijab as the plane makes its approach into the Airport.